The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Cheers man.

Few weeks and we'll see :erm:

Spotter exams are basically take a look at this pic and select what it is/what condition it indicates.

CR Met Loco were the topics being examined: Cardiorespiratory, metabolism, locomotor

Next exam will be on brain and behaviour, and human development... which will probably be harder :erm:

Good luck, know its hard but try not to think about the one that's gone but concentrate on the exam that's coming up.

If you do well in the next one - do you still need to resit the other spotter exam?

Spotter exams are basically take a look at this pic and select what it is/what condition it indicates.

Oh ok. Are we talking like a photograph indicating a general inspection of a patient or something like histology slides?
Reply 9002
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I don't think I've done any 'work' outside of lectures since I got here. Especially not on the weekend. Everyone else is stressing like crazy. Dunno why.

By 'work' I mean doing outside reading, writing up notes, revising old material. If something interests me or I need to clarify something I'll quickly look it up, but other than that I haven't felt like I need to yet. :dontknow:

Mate, this is me. But I'm a terrible student when it comes to written exams. OSCEs were easy, but for the most part I am a complete suicidal wreck near exam time because I don't do work and start revision too late. I usually fail exams the first attempt and scrape by the resits. This doesn't bode well for you, unless you are very bright.

The thing is, for face-time stuff with seniors, I'm good. I prepare for tutorials and topics before hand. I can present and speak confidently so tend to sound better than I really am. So for OSCEs, presentations and interviews I'm fine. I just don't do written exams well.

But seriously, don't get too relaxed.
Original post by Kinkerz
I don't think it matters where on the author continuum you are if it's a publication, as long as your name's on the paper and it gets you a pubmed ID. Posters I think, unless you present, you need to be the first author to get any credit.

Thank you, happy to hear that!

Original post by John Locke
but it's extremely rare for nobody to have any idea, it's very medicine to stop at 'mechanism unknown' i think. rather that is the point at which it actually gets interesting both scientifically and therapeutically.

Its like that atm with my iBSc, everytime we get a new result it's like the question has changed. And then it opens up 4 more questions. (Guess thats where you add the 'further work' paragraph...).

Its interesting definitely and I find the whole delving into a new mechanism exciting, but its really frustrating when things don't correlate.

Right back to work for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SMed
Mate, this is me. But I'm a terrible student when it comes to written exams. OSCEs were easy, but for the most part I am a complete suicidal wreck near exam time because I don't do work and start revision too late. I usually fail exams the first attempt and scrape by the resits. This doesn't bode well for you, unless you are very bright.

The thing is, for face-time stuff with seniors, I'm good. I prepare for tutorials and topics before hand. I can present and speak confidently so tend to sound better than I really am. So for OSCEs, presentations and interviews I'm fine. I just don't do written exams well.

Fair enough. I'm happy to put the work in when I feel as though the material isn't sinking in, but I just don't have that pressure yet. Got 8/8 in my end of semester exams (top 16%) which I was pretty pleased about considering I spent xmas getting pissed abroad. I think I will up it a gear when the time comes though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kinkerz
He goes to Barts. You won't.

But we must speak and equally confusing language, when talking about our courses. Our medical schools have invented new names for OSCES and other clinical examinations.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Good luck, know its hard but try not to think about the one that's gone but concentrate on the exam that's coming up.

If you do well in the next one - do you still need to resit the other spotter exam?

Cheers, thankfully that was the end of that set of modules so actually need to cover the modules before the next exam.. so got another 8 weeks or so until the next one

If I do well I should be fine and won't need to resit anything, I was just hoping to do well in that to take some of the pressure off later on in the year.

Everything should work out fine.. I just didn't think I'd failed that exam :redface:

Oh ok. Are we talking like a photograph indicating a general inspection of a patient or something like histology slides?

All sorts, you might get a photo of a prosection to test your anatomy knowledge etc, or could be a blood film and identify the type of anaemia, or a histological slide of the gut and say where it is/abnormalities etc.
Reply 9007
Cheers, thankfully that was the end of that set of modules so actually need to cover the modules before the next exam.. so got another 8 weeks or so until the next one

If I do well I should be fine and won't need to resit anything, I was just hoping to do well in that to take some of the pressure off later on in the year.

Everything should work out fine.. I just didn't think I'd failed that exam :redface:

All sorts, you might get a photo of a prosection to test your anatomy knowledge etc, or could be a blood film and identify the type of anaemia, or a histological slide of the gut and say where it is/abnormalities etc.

Since when did you start putting cute penguins in your siggy? :eek:

Got yourself a gf? :colondollar:
Original post by Vulpes
Since when did you start putting cute penguins in your siggy? :eek:

Got yourself a gf? :colondollar:

i was bored the other day and fancied sticking them in there..

Still very much single :tongue:
Reply 9009
Was going to get some work done tonight. Just got battlefield 3 running on my PC tho... Guess work isn't happening anymore :facepalm:
Original post by Kinkerz
G. Freeman, A. Sharpe: A new therapeutic strategy for malaria: targeting T cell exhaustion; Nature Immunology: 13, 113–115 (2012)

If anyone's feeling particularly helpful :smile:

You don't have access to nature? If you're uni doesn't subscribe to that, then what? :P

Either way, inboxy.
i was bored the other day and fancied sticking them in there..

Still very much single :tongue:

Dude, fell better about this spotter. :console:

The only one you really need to worry about is the end of year one - do well in that and you're well on your way to securing a merit/pretty high average because its worth a whole lot more than the ICA ones. My ICA results fell a bit in the second term in both years 1 and 2. They usually do for some people because its mid way through the year, you're feeling a bit meh about everything and second term is usually the busiest in terms of extra curricular stuff.

Good Luck with the written exam results!
Original post by SMed

But yet he is in his fourth year at Imperial College London.You're probably slightly exaggerating there,Smed.
Reply 9013
Original post by Mr Halpert
But yet he is in his fourth year at Imperial College London.You're probably slightly exaggerating there,Smed.

:s-smilie:

I failed 3 out of my 4 papers in first year. Only passed PBL. On resits I got between 51-56 where the passmark is 50%.

I failed 1 out of 3 papers in second year. And got 57 on that resit.

57 was the highest mark I got in 1st and 2nd year.

3rd year, I breezed the OSCE apart from I forgot the mini-mental questions. Got 67 on the EMQs with a 60% pass mark.

For my exam in 10 days, I've left over 80% of the revision for the last 2.5 weeks up to the exam. Meaning I've only looked at 80% of this stuff for the first time just over the past week. I'll probably just manage a 2.2 for this paper which is 40% of my BSc. I've gotten high 2.1s on all the in-course stuff, and if I can do a good project I'll be happy with a 2.1 for the BSc.

And I'm on TSR now.

I don't know why I've gone into this much detail, I just don't appreciate when others question my laziness and lack of exam work ethic. :colonhash:

:biggrin:
Reply 9014
Original post by crazylemon
Wait you need to know all the MMSE questions by heart? why? what is the point? Grumble grumble...
See I think OSCEs will screw me over because I will do stupid things....

Yeah, I remembered all but like 2 questions. But it was an obvious not-slick struggle. Then I couldn't remember the interpretation of the score at all. :biggrin: The rest were fine.

The cardio exam patient wrote me a poem because I had like 2 minutes to spare at the end. Still have that on my desk :biggrin:
Original post by Tyraell
You don't have access to nature? If you're uni doesn't subscribe to that, then what? :P

Don't even get me started.
Reply 9016
Original post by crazylemon
Right. I should have a look at the MMSE some more then...I have done a few but always with the sheet...
that is cool :biggrin:

Yeah, the OSCEs can be weird. I've had friends that have gotten merits for years 1/2 but failed the OSCEs, and they weren't even socially awkward penguins.
Reply 9017
Seriously though, third year is not the year to fail. Best longest summer holiday, you don't want resits ****ing that up.
Saturday. Posted 8.40am. Considering working on the weekend. Wtf is wrong with you?

I have a ton of work to do, aswel as an essay, and I'm going away for the weekend next week!:tongue:
Original post by _Andrew_
I have a ton of work to do, aswel as an essay, and I'm going away for the weekend next week!:tongue:

Weekends have kinda been written off for the next few weeks thanks to the six nations :awesome:

Latest

Trending

Trending