The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by Jlane5000
Thanks for the advice :smile: I think indecisiveness is my worst trait, never send me off to tesco on my own lol. So do you think that if I ring the uni's and the modules in my degree are sufficient to do the 4 year course, then I should not bother doing the re-take of chemistry A-Level? I am a bit worried they will still care when it comes to the selection process. Also if they say my degree is not right for doing a 4 year and to do the 5 year instead, would A-level results be more important then? Sorry for all the questions, my head is swimming.

On another note, where did you apply this time? any others besides Edinburgh and Liverpool? Oh and good luck for your interview :smile:

it might be worth bearing in mind that even if your degree means that the universities might accept you without retaking chemistry, there will be plenty of graduates who will have retaken A-levels in order to improve their grades that you'll be competing against. RVC and nottingham are particularly competitive for graduates - nottingham told me that some people even go back to retake GCSEs to strengthen their applications!

whatever you decide to do, good luck! :smile:
Reply 361
Original post by schizopear
it might be worth bearing in mind that even if your degree means that the universities might accept you without retaking chemistry, there will be plenty of graduates who will have retaken A-levels in order to improve their grades that you'll be competing against. RVC and nottingham are particularly competitive for graduates - nottingham told me that some people even go back to retake GCSEs to strengthen their applications!

whatever you decide to do, good luck! :smile:

That's basically what I wanted to say but I couldn't word it right XD
Reply 362
Original post by Loosy
That's basically what I wanted to say but I couldn't word it right XD

i know (that's why i repped you!) - i was just trying to reiterate! :tongue:

edit: er, i meant that i know that was what you were trying to say, not that you didn't word it right... :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 363
The point I was also making was that graduates are considered on their own merit. I agree that rvc and notts are particularly competitive but it's important to be sure of all your options. Ie. It would be worth finding out whether universities would offer you based on a predictive grade for your retake or whether a retake would hold more ground if you already had it.

Incidently I don't think I am any better than the rest of you and I am definitely am example of how it has not hindered my application. This may well be due to my marks on my transcript. If you think you're lacking there it may well be a good idea to strengthen your application by a resit.. Especially if you want to go for rvc. So yeah all I'm saying is contact unis, send them your transcript and they can advise you best. Good luck with the research :smile:

Original post by Jlane5000
The person you know in the 6 year at Notts, does he have a similar background to me, or to the geography degree you mentioned? I will give the uni's a phone call i think :smile: thanks

I don't know about his A levels sorry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Im not sure how the rest of your faired but from what Ive heard and witnessed, Notts is REALLY hard to get into as a grad. As they dont have their own grad course and because their cheap they get a lot of applications for a very limited number or spaces (you are competing against Alevel students too). They only take a handful of grads every year, whereas RVC take about 50. If you were thinking of only resitting your Alevel for Notts id seriously weigh up the pros and cons. I dont want to sound negative or mean (please dont think I am) but notts only interview and give offers to exceptional grads. Just having 3 As might not be enough because of your background. You could turn it around and do looooads of work experience and sit your alevels and stuff but I wouldnt tailor your application on them alone.

RVC would prob accept you with a low alvel if you did well in BMAT, crutially in the second section. If you can prove yourself in that you could dispute your chem grade, but the BMAT is immensly hard!

This prob sounds really negative but what Im basically trying to say is if you have the time and money to resit your Alevel by all means do it :smile: it cant hurt! But there is oppertunity to get into other unis without it. It all depends how strong the rest of your application is. Good luck either way!
Thank you all the for the advice you have really helped me out :smile:
Original post by sophie_aj
Hello,
I am a graduate applicant. I graduated in 2009 with a first in animal science. I don't have chemistry a level at all. I also have a C for biology a level which I completed part time in an evening course. I initially did languages for my a levels! I have applied for vet med twice and both times had an offer. First from Bristol which I didn't take as I withdrew from the system. Three years
later I'm back and more certain than ever that this is my path. I have an offer from Edinburgh this time and an interview at Liverpool. The last the years I've been teaching circus. So if you think you're indecisive I'm worse!

Only thing I would say is that for the 4 years course they do care about biochemistry. I was fortunate enough to have done enough in my degree to be offered for the 4yr at Edinburgh. Actually they gave me a choice either 4 or 5! Liverpool don't have a separate application for the 4 year they make individual decisions... I guess in summary your degree level chemistry is more important and yes don't bother with Nottingham. Find out whether your degree content would be acceptable for a 4 year at Liverpool or Edinburgh out RVC

Finally I'm 26 so you've got three years on me! Does this help in anyway? Have confidence in yourself :smile:

Hi
Just wanted to point out (from reading this thread for quite a while!) that Edinburgh certainly seem to give ALL graduates and internationals an offer! While I don't want to be cynical, their extortionate fees (26,000 a year! Are they mad!) mean than lots of people don't accept their offers and they know this - it doesn't do them any harm to hand out offers to people who don't meet the normal undergrad requirements, e.g. A level chemistry. Good luck to you though if you can manage to find the money :smile:

My own experience (a bit dated now, but it seems to still be true) is that the unis without ridiculous fees definitely do want the standard entry requirements (A levels and work experience) as well as a good degree. I also have a 2.i degree in Animal Science so have the same amount of biochem as you do and yet when I asked about grad entry (admittedly 10yrs ago) Liverpool and RVC both wanted A level Chemistry too. I had much more than that level from my uni studies but I didn't have the A grade at A level so they weren't prepared to consider me.....I didn't ask Edinburgh!

So basically I think that everyone should ask the individual unis before deciding not to retake A level Chemistry - unless they want the equivalent of a mortgage in tuition fees from Edinburgh. NB, this isn't meant as criticism, it just seems "easier" to get an offer from Edinburgh - purely from reading the threads on this forum

Alternatively learn German and come to Vienna - it's much cheaper and easier to get into......just harder to stay in :wink:
Good luck to all grads!!!! I know all to well about the long and winding road to VetMed!
Reply 367
Original post by clair0511
Hi
Just wanted to point out (from reading this thread for quite a while!) that Edinburgh certainly seem to give ALL graduates and internationals an offer! While I don't want to be cynical, their extortionate fees (26,000 a year! Are they mad!) mean than lots of people don't accept their offers and they know this - it doesn't do them any harm to hand out offers to people who don't meet the normal undergrad requirements, e.g. A level chemistry. Good luck to you though if you can manage to find the money

I can't help but feel quite offended by what you are implying above. Can I just point out that a) last time I applied I had an offer from bristol and NOT from edinburgh. b) edinburgh do score you equally on academic and extra curricular and not really wanting to big up myself. I do have an extremely good academic record and extensive extracurricular life (as do many worthwhile candidates who apply) And it is simply not true to suggest that they offer places to ALL grads and internationals! (I didn't have one last time!) By the time Edinburgh have finished offering international places eg. North America and others and indeed to Scottish grads (15 people from the same course in Glasgow have got a straight offer this year) there aren't that many places left for the rest of UK graduates!

One thing I would say though is that there are possibly more graduate places in Edinburgh than any of the other universities (64) which may add to your thoughts on it being "easier" to get in there.

What I object to is your suggestion that they have slipped my application through the net so to speak!

TO clarify: A level chemistry is not a GRADUATE requirement for all universities let's not get this confused. So my application did not fall short of the "USUAL" academic requirements as you have suggested it does. It is a requirement for NOTTS thus i didn't apply there.

Whilst, like you I tend also to be a tad cynical with regards to the fees at Edinburgh and perhaps they are dishing offers out left right and centre to graduates because they are money hungry and wish to ensure all there grad places filled. HOWEVER so far (this year not complete) and in my to applications to vet med I have been through WITHOUT chem A level. I have had RVC interview, Bristol offer, 2 x Liv interviews and an Edinburgh offer.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant. :angry: I just feel quite strongly about this issue having been in exactly this position and freaking out that despite my degree I wouldn't get anywhere without the A level. Which is clearly not the case. I feel like I have hit a nerve with some people. At the end of the day the vet application is an individual experience for us and we all form, quite strong opinions. I have just offered my thoughts on this whole thing based on my application which has never had Chemistry A Level.

Not having it doesn't necessarily affect your ability to obtain a PLACE in Veterinary Medicine.

Original post by clair0511
So basically I think that everyone should ask the individual unis before deciding not to retake A level Chemistry - unless they want the equivalent of a mortgage in tuition fees from Edinburgh. NB, this isn't meant as criticism, it just seems "easier" to get an offer from Edinburgh - purely from reading the threads on this forum

We are totally in agreement below because that it exactly what I said! You are exactly right about the cheaper fee institutions placing heavier restrictions eg. RVC and NOTTS because they are SO HEAVILY SUBSCRIBED. So if that's your only intended destination then you must do everything to strengthen your application or learn German and take to Vienna or apply to Slovakia.

Just because they have cheaper fees doesn't put them any better as institutions to obtain a Veterinary qualification though and doesn't poo-poo those with offers from other places where candidates are still selected in a scrutinising process!!
Reply 368
There are also quite a few graduates who don't get offered the 4 year course at Edinburgh (which I did and may strike you as surprising since my science a levels are somewhat controversial!) - and unless all those graduates don't have any science A Levels LOL then I think we can safely say that there is more MERIT in you degree results as a graduate.
What I object to is your suggestion that they have slipped my application through the net so to speak!

This wasn't my intention at all. I was merely pointing out that a lot of grads get offers from Edinburgh (just look through this thread) and unfortunately most of them can't afford to take up the place - a very depressing thought IMO.

Sorry if I have hit a nerve, well done for getting a place
Reply 370
There are also quite a few graduates who don't get offered the 4 year course at Edinburgh (which I did and may strike you as surprising since my science a levels are somewhat controversial!) - and unless all those graduates don't have any science A Levels LOL then I think we can safely say that there is more MERIT in you degree results as a graduate.

I applied for the GEP entry at Edinburgh, but got offered a place on the 5 year course. Apparently my degree wasn't relevant enough, which is fair enough but slightly annoying as it was Animal Bio, nevermind! However, I'm just so glad I have an offer, especially since I don't have chemistry qualifications from high school, not even standard grade (which is like GCSE). This is because I honestly didn't have a clue what I wanted to do when I left high school, so I ended up taking subjects that I really enjoyed. The 4 year honours degree that I have almost finished is the only route into Vet Med for me and I'm so happy that it worked out for me. I have a Bio A level but thats it, so I'm guessing most of my merit for my application came from the biochem, microbio etc modules I have done on my first degree.
Reply 371
Original post by Lornaliz
I applied for the GEP entry at Edinburgh, but got offered a place on the 5 year course. Apparently my degree wasn't relevant enough, which is fair enough but slightly annoying as it was Animal Bio, nevermind! However, I'm just so glad I have an offer, especially since I don't have chemistry qualifications from high school, not even standard grade (which is like GCSE). This is because I honestly didn't have a clue what I wanted to do when I left high school, so I ended up taking subjects that I really enjoyed. The 4 year honours degree that I have almost finished is the only route into Vet Med for me and I'm so happy that it worked out for me. I have a Bio A level but thats it, so I'm guessing most of my merit for my application came from the biochem, microbio etc modules I have done on my first degree.

Ultimately it's all good and we get to pursue a career in something we love :smile: It would be interesting to have some inside advice as to the exact nitty gritty of 4 year vs 5 year applications. But you are another person without chemistry background so it can be done. It's a hard thing to talk about especially since people with all the grades don't get places again and again. Are you going to go to Ed then?
Reply 372
Hi guys,
My name is Elise and I've applied to do vet med in the UK and Ireland for 2012. I am currently finishing my Science degree, specializing in Zoology in Dublin. I have been working with animals (horses in particular) for the last ten years but come finishing school, I decided on a Science degree as the priority in my life at the time was show jumping and I was not ready for a highly demanding course and career (ie Veterinary!) Finally, zoology has brought me back to my roots and I've realised where my heart lies and there is nothing more I want to do than to become a vet, so show jumping will be taking a back seat for a while! So here I am, looking to get through graduate entry. I have interviews for Liverpool and Glasgow, and while I hear Liverpool is a well established and obviously well-liked university, I have not heard much about Glasgow. I have just been having a look at the threads and was wondering if anyone had any expreiences with Glasgow University (extortionate fees aside!) and why it does not appear to be a popular choice?
Best of luck to everyone with upcoming interviews :smile:
Reply 373
Original post by elise0990
Hi guys,
My name is Elise and I've applied to do vet med in the UK and Ireland for 2012. I am currently finishing my Science degree, specializing in Zoology in Dublin. I have been working with animals (horses in particular) for the last ten years but come finishing school, I decided on a Science degree as the priority in my life at the time was show jumping and I was not ready for a highly demanding course and career (ie Veterinary!) Finally, zoology has brought me back to my roots and I've realised where my heart lies and there is nothing more I want to do than to become a vet, so show jumping will be taking a back seat for a while! So here I am, looking to get through graduate entry. I have interviews for Liverpool and Glasgow, and while I hear Liverpool is a well established and obviously well-liked university, I have not heard much about Glasgow. I have just been having a look at the threads and was wondering if anyone had any expreiences with Glasgow University (extortionate fees aside!) and why it does not appear to be a popular choice?

I haven't applied to Glasgow, one reason being that they don't offer a graduate 4 year course. The idea of 5 years at extortionate fees was the main reason for me not thinking about it. Other than that I havn't thought much about it. Scotland is lovely.
Reply 374
Original post by elise0990
Hi guys,

Hiya!

I don't have any input on either Liverpool or Glasgow I'm afraid, but I hear Liverpool is very good for equine. Just wanted to say congratulations on getting interviews, and good luck!! When are they?:biggrin:
Reply 375
Ultimately it's all good and we get to pursue a career in something we love :smile: It would be interesting to have some inside advice as to the exact nitty gritty of 4 year vs 5 year applications. But you are another person without chemistry background so it can be done. It's a hard thing to talk about especially since people with all the grades don't get places again and again. Are you going to go to Ed then?

Yeah I know a lot of people with the right grades still don't get places, but my opinion is that a 4 years honours degree is probably adequate lol. Yeah I'm def going to Ed, how about you?
Reply 376
Original post by Lornaliz
Yeah I know a lot of people with the right grades still don't get places, but my opinion is that a 4 years honours degree is probably adequate lol. Yeah I'm def going to Ed, how about you?

Yes I agree! Well I am going to my Liverpool interview to make an informed decision but I have really nearly already made up my mind that Edinburgh is where I want to go :smile:
Reply 377
Original post by Eevee13
Hiya!

I don't have any input on either Liverpool or Glasgow I'm afraid, but I hear Liverpool is very good for equine. Just wanted to say congratulations on getting interviews, and good luck!! When are they?:biggrin:

Hey,
Thank you! I have my Glasgow interview on Tuesday and the Liverpool interview 2 weeks later! I'm excited but so nervous at the same time! Fees are so high but I want this so badly I just want to get in somewhere! Where did you apply to?
Reply 378
Hey
I thought I'd introduce myself as I'm new but been reading these forums for a while.

I've got a conditional offer for Edinburgh, an interview at Liverpool 21/03/12 :biggrin: and rejections from Bristol and Nottingham :angry:
Reply 379
Original post by ponymad*
Hey
I thought I'd introduce myself as I'm new but been reading these forums for a while.

I've got a conditional offer for Edinburgh, an interview at Liverpool 21/03/12 :biggrin: and rejections from Bristol and Nottingham :angry:

Hello, do you have a preference to where you go?

Congrats on your offer/interview. What's your graduate background?

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending