The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by noodles!
I had something resembling a compliment today! One of the teachers I work with said the other day that she was impressed by me "improving" the hit the board game (MFL lessons- pictures on board, say word, kids hit) by saying two or three items in a row rather than just one, so they have to do a bit of remembering, as she hadn't thought of doing that.

Then today I was observing her with another group and she did just that! :biggrin:

Ahhh this is a brilliant idea! I am also going to steal it :ninja:
Second placement done and dusted! Well except for Monday afternoon where I said I'd go in for the 'family of schools' literacy moderation? Why would I do it, I have no idea, but one of those things you just have to do to impress the head! :tongue:

Anyone spending half term on the job applications? That's my plan, there is about 3 posts I could apply for so I'm just going to go for it!

Hope everyone is well and not too stressed ! xx
Hi guys :smile:

This is pretty random, but I was just wondering if I could ask a question of those who drive? Roughly how much do you think you spend a week on petrol? Obviously costs can fluctuate dramatically, given the distance placement schools can be from you, but I'm just trying to get a rough idea.

Reply 963
Original post by angel_night

This is pretty random, but I was just wondering if I could ask a question of those who drive? Roughly how much do you think you spend a week on petrol? Obviously costs can fluctuate dramatically, given the distance placement schools can be from you, but I'm just trying to get a rough idea.

We get through £35-40 - split 5 ways.
Original post by Rainy
We get through £35-40 - split 5 ways.

Thank you! That is around what I was estimating, so hopefully it will be somewhere around this :smile:
Original post by angel_night

I get through a tank a month but I've been ridiculously lucky with my placement schools.
Reply 966
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29103

If you're part of the NUT or NASUWT you'll probably have got the email too, but for the rest of you... sign!
Boo, got a cold and sore throat for half term. To go on top of the 4000 words I have to write on "the inclusive classroom". Lovely.

I suppose at least it turned up in time for the holiday rather than while I was at school...
Boo, got a cold and sore throat for half term. To go on top of the 4000 words I have to write on "the inclusive classroom". Lovely.

I suppose at least it turned up in time for the holiday rather than while I was at school...

That tends to be the case. I think it's adrenalin that keeps you going until the holidays and then you just stop and the virus nips in when you're relaxed. (This is not the view of a medic! Merely based on experience.) On the plus side, although you get everything that's going at the start of your career, you do build up an immunity to lots of things so that you're ill much less often as you get further on in your career.
Reply 969

Haha, I have a cold too! Must be a half term thing.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

I got a cold/sore throat nearly two weeks ago and it is still here. Hoping it won't hang around much longer.

With one thing and another - and my desperate need to have yesterday as a pgce-free day - I now have to write my 5,000 word essay today. I sense impending doom lol.
On the upside, I am almost looking forward to university tomorrow. Lectures/classes 9am-5pm for a few days is going to feel like a break after being on placement and I get to see all my friends again lol. I'll have to remember that good feeling when I am bored or knackered come around 3pm tomorrow lol. :redface:
Original post by affinity89
Hope you start to feel better soon.

I got a cold/sore throat nearly two weeks ago and it is still here. Hoping it won't hang around much longer.

With one thing and another - and my desperate need to have yesterday as a pgce-free day - I now have to write my 5,000 word essay today. I sense impending doom lol.
On the upside, I am almost looking forward to university tomorrow. Lectures/classes 9am-5pm for a few days is going to feel like a break after being on placement and I get to see all my friends again lol. I'll have to remember that good feeling when I am bored or knackered come around 3pm tomorrow lol. :redface:

I need some advice on how to write essays at a faster pace. I've done all of my reading and now have a 4000 essay to write, but it will take me 4-5 whole days.. I'm so slow :frown:
Original post by jaime1986
I need some advice on how to write essays at a faster pace. I've done all of my reading and now have a 4000 essay to write, but it will take me 4-5 whole days.. I'm so slow :frown:

Personally, I don't have a choice. The essay was set immediately before placement. When on placement, I was teaching 14 hours a week, differentiating for three year groups in one class, so I didn't have time to look at it. Now I have around 2 days to get it finished, but from Monday I am back in university from 9am-5pm each day. So, today is the day.
I don't know if I will get it finished, or if it will be any good, but I am just trying to go for it. 500 words done so far. Another 4500 to go lol. :redface:
Personally, I don't have a choice. The essay was set immediately before placement. When on placement, I was teaching 14 hours a week, differentiating for three year groups in one class, so I didn't have time to look at it. Now I have around 2 days to get it finished, but from Monday I am back in university from 9am-5pm each day. So, today is the day.
I don't know if I will get it finished, or if it will be any good, but I am just trying to go for it. 500 words done so far. Another 4500 to go lol. :redface:

That sucks, we were given all of our essay titles at the start of the course, but inevitably essays are the least of everyone's priorities when in school so no-one starts them until the week before they're due anyway. Two more to go after this one!
I'm going to try and write this one in two days and see what kind of standard it is.
Reply 974
Yeah, I'm 3,313 words into a 5,000-er, due on Wednesday. Only one paper left after this and I'll be free!
2425 - I keep getting distracted lol. Plus, I'm not convinced what I've written is any good. Oh well. Going to keep going and then try to make sense of it all lol. :smile:
Reply 976
2425 - I keep getting distracted lol. Plus, I'm not convinced what I've written is any good. Oh well. Going to keep going and then try to make sense of it all lol. :smile:

Wow, nearly 2500 already, you are a machine! I am only 228 words into a 1500 worder and started it four hours ago. Pathetic! :frown:
Original post by *Darcie*
Wow, nearly 2500 already, you are a machine! I am only 228 words into a 1500 worder and started it four hours ago. Pathetic! :frown:

That's normally me, I'm always so conscientiousness with every word I write. However, after reading the posts above I've been 'inspired' to let go a bit and I've done 1244 words this afternoon AND booked a holibobs and what I've written isn't as bad as I'd thought it'd be! Follow the people above and just go for it :biggrin:
Reply 978
Original post by jaime1986
That's normally me, I'm always so conscientiousness with every word I write. However, after reading the posts above I've been 'inspired' to let go a bit and I've done 1244 words this afternoon AND booked a holibobs and what I've written isn't as bad as I'd thought it'd be! Follow the people above and just go for it :biggrin:

Wow, that is good going! I wish I could say my slow pace was due to conscientiousness but in reality, I am very easily distracted and tend to daydream about anything but my assignment. :moon:
Reply 979
You're officially halfway through the school year at February Half Term! Well done! :rave:

Quick Reply

Latest