The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazylemon
I have done 3 essays in my entire degree. 3 too many imo

3 a week is horrible and is almost impossible to do effectively whilst maintaining a good work-life balance so it just makes you resent the system despite enjoying the subjects.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
:hmpf: Some of us have to write up their dissertations in April and revise for exams...

Lucky you - this year college shaved a month off dissertation time, so everything has to be in by end of March
I spend three and a half hours getting home from Colchester (****ing public transport) only to find our heating is broken and I have to bust out an all nighter to finish that presentation IN THE FREEZING ****ING COLD.

**** MY LIFE.
Original post by gozatron
THIS WEEK? :lolwut:

I hvnt submitted my gp essay as well. :frown:
Reply 9044
Original post by Wangers
Lucky you - this year college shaved a month off dissertation time, so everything has to be in by end of March

Same here, but otoh at least it means more time for revision

(read: more time to read through notes for the first time :mute:)

Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan

Also this might help for those trying to analyse papers :wink:

Spoiler

very funny :biggrin:
Does anyone know much about plastics and/ or wound closure?

What should someone use to close a small 2 cm facial laceration on the skin overlying the maxilla?
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Does anyone know much about plastics and/ or wound closure?

What should someone use to close a small 2 cm facial laceration on the skin overlying the maxilla?

Glue or 6/0 nylon stiches.

I sometimes wish I'd done the traditional iBSc with exams, because looking at criteria to get a 1st class Hons and we need to make a significant contribution to the field and show innovation as ours is a full year of research.

What does that even mean?!

I'm beginning to develop a hate/love relationship with research and right now I'm towards the hate side of the spectrum.

All the best with exams for those that have them, I feel for you guys!

It does seem that you can coast through and get a 2.1 but a 1st requires major major effort. The difference between 59.4% and 69.5% is massive.

The thing about research that has pissed me off this week is that even if I had any decent data, I don't have any hope of presenting it anywhere this year as all the abstract deadlines seem to have fallen in January :sigh:
Original post by carcinoma
Glue or 6/0 nylon stiches.

Thanks dude. I got two cuts back in October and both were glued in the ED by a nurse practioner. One in the eyebrow and another as described above. Not terribly happy with how the one below my eye has turned out - was glued ( not brilliantly I think ) and the scar has became quite chunky.
Reply 9049
Original post by crazylemon
I have done 3 essays in my entire degree. 3 too many imo

I'm struggling to think what essays you would've done...? I know the integrated/patient thing at the end of year 2 had an essay, but what else is there? Anyway, for this iBSc, I've had to write 3 essays, 2 critical appraisals and an assessed journal club. And though I hate essays, it was only basically every 5 weeks which isn't bad really.
I sometimes wish I'd done the traditional iBSc with exams, because looking at criteria to get a 1st class Hons and we need to make a significant contribution to the field and show innovation as ours is a full year of research.

What does that even mean?!

I'm beginning to develop a hate/love relationship with research and right now I'm towards the hate side of the spectrum.

All the best with exams for those that have them, I feel for you guys!

Also this might help for those trying to analyse papers :wink:

Spoiler

How you finding your BSC at leicester? I can't decide whether to stay here and do one next year, or at another medical school:confused:
BOOM. Presentation is complete. Spent a grand total of about two hours on it. Seems enough for a 10 minute presentation, right?
Abstract submitted. Hopefully it'll get accepted!
Reply 9053
Original post by RollerBall
BOOM. Presentation is complete. Spent a grand total of about two hours on it. Seems enough for a 10 minute presentation, right?

I did the same for a presentation for journal club. Got a 1st.

is anyone going to the technology in medicine conference? http://www.asit.org/resources/medical_students/UG_Events/TiMS11 I think theres another day on the 18th run by their surg soc...
Reply 9055
Original post by Wangers
is anyone going to the technology in medicine conference? http://www.asit.org/resources/medical_students/UG_Events/TiMS11 I think theres another day on the 18th run by their surg soc...

Looks really interesting, that week is when all my deadlines are though so i'll have to miss it
Having an absolute mare constructing my spreadsheet for data entry for my current elective project / audit.

Banging my head against a brick wall!
Original post by SMed
I did the same for a presentation for journal club. Got a 1st.

Journal club? What on earth is like?

Some people I've spoken to have busted out like 12 hour seshs on this ****. It only took me two hours because I kept going on reddit.
Reply 9058
Original post by RollerBall
Journal club? What on earth is like?

Some people I've spoken to have busted out like 12 hour seshs on this ****. It only took me two hours because I kept going on reddit.

It wasn't a real hospital/medics journal club. But it was in front of two other academics who're leading that course module, and then some others from my course.

I finally got a GPU which is due to come just when I start my project, can forget my BSc now. :biggrin:
Original post by Wangers

Ooh, yes please. That looks quite interesting!

Latest

Trending

Trending