The Student Room Group

Uk flag without scotland proposal

flag of UK.jpg

(Click for larger)

So it's hardly the most pressing issue of Scottish independence, but I was bored. I realise Wales isn't usually depicted on the flag for historical reasons (annexation rather than joining the UK by treaty) but given that it has its own Assembly, we should probably give it some recognition if we need a redesign for Scotland anyway.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I, don't think that works really well.
Don't know - it doesn't seem creative enough for some reason :s-smilie:

No offence intended to anyone who designed this flag though :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by talon1579
flag of UK.jpg

(Click for larger)

So it's hardly the most pressing issue of Scottish independence, but I was bored. I realise Wales isn't usually depicted on the flag for historical reasons (annexation rather than joining the UK by treaty) but given that it has its own Assembly, we should probably give it some recognition if we need a redesign for Scotland anyway.

Meh. I wouldn't mind. It'd be cool to say that you live in a country with a flag that has a dragon on it when you go travelling.
I personally think it looks hideous (no offence intended! - not your design skills, just the look of that flag as the British flag) and see absolutely no issue whatsoever with keeping the Scottish element on the flag. Australia and New Zealand aren't in the UK yet they manage to function with the UK flag in the corner of theirs (along with a load of others), I'm sure we'll struggle through it.
Reply 5
It's not that bad, though could do with something in the middle to fill up the red space.
For example, the royal coat of arm. Not necessarily modified to remove the scottish component, as the royal family descend from scottish royals.
Reply 6
Let's have the Tudor Rose in the bottom left corner, and to be honest, I'd rather a different colour background, white is a bit too garish and a bit too close to the St.George's cross.
The Union Flag makes me want to dress up in a redcoat and go to a pointless death on a far flung corner of the earth.

... that flag just makes me think "meh".
Out of curiousity.. why is Scotland wanting independance and not Wales?
Reply 9
The only flag that will be flying is the European Union flag....as soon as they've finished crippling all of our economies.

All hail the new leader:

Reply 10
The blue looks good. Keep the blue.
Original post by callum9999
I personally think it looks hideous (no offence intended! - not your design skills, just the look of that flag as the British flag) and see absolutely no issue whatsoever with keeping the Scottish element on the flag. Australia and New Zealand aren't in the UK yet they manage to function with the UK flag in the corner of theirs (along with a load of others), I'm sure we'll struggle through it.

Australia and New Zealand are part of the British Commonwealth, and our Queen is also theirs, therefore they have the Union Jack on their flags.

If Scotland gain independence, the rest of the UK would have no connection with them all at, thus Scotland should be removed from the flag.
Reply 12
Personally, I think the flag looks cooler as it is now than the one without the Scotland proposal on the flag :smile:
Since the UK is a union between the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England, if Scotland leaves the Union it will no longer be the UK. You'll have to draw up some different form of country.
Original post by Miracle Day
Out of curiousity.. why is Scotland wanting independance and not Wales?

I'm not entirely certain, but I thought it was down to Wales never really being a totally seperate country like scotland was? It was just a principality. I'm sure that's the reason it's the Welsh Assembly instead of Parliament

Scotland is different in lots of ways to England (different NHS, different legal system, different school system, becoming an adult at 16 etc.) where Wales shares all of these things with England
Reply 15
Original post by Snowfreeze
Australia and New Zealand are part of the British Commonwealth, and our Queen is also theirs, therefore they have the Union Jack on their flags.

If Scotland gain independence, the rest of the UK would have no connection with them all at, thus Scotland should be removed from the flag.

I'd imagine Scotland would join the commonwealth, and Salmond wants to keep the Queen as head of state (as I'd imagine would Scottish Labour and Tories).
I just keep our current flag, for historical reasons. I don't see a need to change it.
Original post by doggyfizzel
I just keep our current flag, for historical reasons. I don't see a need to change it.

You would no longer be the United Kingdom, and Scotland would no longer be part of the country represented by the flag, which loses you the blue background and St Andrew's cross.
Original post by Snowfreeze

The Queen will still be their head of state - for the near future anyway.

And so what? The "Commonwealth" does virtually nothing for Australia and New Zealand (and Scotland and the UK will be far closer than the UK is to Oz and NZ). The flag is still on theirs for historical reasons and I see no reason why it can't remain on ours for the same. If it upsets you that much, remove the Scottish cross and then add in a completely unrelated, yet identical, cross for aesthetic reasons.

George stays, Patrick gets more of a contribution, and Wales gets represented too. No ****ing dragons please.

Quick Reply

Latest