The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i've seen actuary mentioned here a bit, so id thought id share a joke (you may have heard) to lighten the mood a little...
how do you tell an extrovert actuary?
when he greets you, he looks at your shoes, not his

:lol:
Reply 8261
Original post by tooambitious
i've seen actuary mentioned here a bit, so id thought id share a joke (you may have heard) to lighten the mood a little...
how do you tell an extrovert actuary?
when he greets you, he looks at your shoes, not his

:lol:

Ahaha, I've seen so many of these - there's a whole actuary jokes website :')

Original post by Tomatochuckers
Really? Though I'm not really interested in accounting and finance degrees, but it would be interesting to see whether he gets a MORSE offer :smile:

You have a good career waiting in front of you in actuary. It's all about the exemptions! :tongue:

And I can't wait! Its something I'm wanting to get into more and more, so many people have asked if its about the money, and its honestly not. TBH, but really sure what draws me to actuarial work though :')
Original post by CloClo7
Ahaha, I've seen so many of these - there's a whole actuary jokes website :')

And I can't wait! Its something I'm wanting to get into more and more, so many people have asked if its about the money, and its honestly not. TBH, but really sure what draws me to actuarial work though :')

The work and the money are good. But the best thing is you don't have to work weekends :u:
Imagine if that Warwick guy was just a troll who was actually some 18 yr old lool

He probably is :biggrin:
Imagine if that Warwick guy was just a troll who was actually some 18 yr old lool

impossibleee

its an official account so he/she is obviously legit.
Reply 8265
The work and the money are good. But the best thing is you don't have to work weekends :u:

To be honest, that was also a great attraction, as IB was a bit :eek: in terms of time put in. I might be career focussed, but I'm always going to want time for family - plus I think an actuary will be more suited to part time work when I (eventually - forward planning I know!) have a family of my own.

I've got my whole life plan all sorted out :tongue:
Original post by CloClo7
To be honest, that was also a great attraction, as IB was a bit :eek: in terms of time put in. I might be career focussed, but I'm always going to want time for family - plus I think an actuary will be more suited to part time work when I (eventually - forward planning I know!) have a family of my own.

Oh I am just like that! People sometimes think I am weird because I really like to plan everything. :tongue:
Talking about bankers....

Original post by CloClo7

I think they're on par with each other tbh. But I would not want to be called in to work in the middle of a Saturday/Sunday football match, that's for sure :mad:
Original post by CloClo7

You do realise that an economics degree doesn't automatically lead on to investment banking, don't you?

Or am I the only person to take the approach that it's boring, souless, and generally less desirable as a career than being a geriatric in North Korea.
Original post by Acerbic
You do realise that an economics degree doesn't automatically lead on to investment banking, don't you?

Or am I the only person to take the approach that it's boring, souless, and generally less desirable as a career than being a geriatric in North Korea.

One person in my school said something along the same lines. They are still planning to become an investment banker though....
Original post by Acerbic

Bravo :yep:

the subject is attracting the wrong types of people imo. what happened to studying a discipline out of sheer intellectually stimulation?
Original post by -Illmatic-
the subject is attracting the wrong types of people imo. what happened to studying a discipline out of sheer intellectually stimulation?

That's really not very common these days: "68 percent of all respondents said that the most important thing about going to university is to get a qualification that leads to a well-paid job, dwarfing the second most popular response of getting a rounded education (12 percent)".
Original post by alex_hk90
That's really not very common these days: "68 percent of all respondents said that the most important thing about going to university is to get a qualification that leads to a well-paid job, dwarfing the second most popular response of getting a rounded education (12 percent)".

Yeah in general, I do understand that H.E has become a stepping stone for a well-paid career, but for Economics specifically, its seems as if people are studying the subject as a means to an end as opposed to out of passion.
Reply 8274
Original post by Acerbic

I agree, but what careers do you consider soulful?
Reply 8275
Original post by -Illmatic-
Yeah in general, I do understand that H.E has become a stepping stone for a well-paid career, but for Economics specifically, its seems as if people are studying the subject as a means to an end as opposed to out of passion.

I get what you mean, but it's a good subject for people who don't know what they want to study I think...
Original post by Tateco
I get what you mean, but it's a good subject for people who don't know what they want to study I think...

I guess thats very true actually!
Reply 8277
Original post by Tateco

For those who don't know what to study, Business Management (or Econ&Management) is more common I think..
Both are important.

I wouldn't study a degree which would lead to brilliant job prospects, if I didn't enjoy it, e.g. medicine

Then again, I wouldn't study a degree I would love if it didn't lead to anything.

Economics/ related degrees can offer both
Reply 8279
Original post by Dat Guy
For those who don't know what to study, Business Management (or Econ&Management) is more common I think..

Yeah but economics is a lot more respected and more top unis offer it as well...

Latest

Trending

Trending