The Student Room Group

Trinity college dublin

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sorry that i've asked loads of questions haha, but just wondering about something.
As there are more applicants with the right amount of better number of points for courses in ireland, i know it is random selection. However if you need 460 points for example and one person had 560, and the other has 490, would the person with 560 get it over the other one, or is it completely random, not mattering what points you have as long as you get the minimum points for that course? thanks
No it doesn't work by random selection. They go down the list in order of highest-lowest points. The person with the lowest points, their points become the points of the course for that year. Random selection only comes into play when there is one place left on the course and there are three applicants on equal points. A computer determines the winer. Sounds unfair but it is the fairest way.

I think you'd find it helpful to read the CAO handbook. It's available online on www.cao.ie You can download it under 'downloads' or read it online. You seem to understand some aspects but not the bigger picture but the handbook will set you straight.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
How competitive are the English courses at Trinity? Speaking as a non-NI resident.
EDIT: Also I am doing both Englishes (separately) at AS, does that mean I can't apply?
(edited 12 years ago)
Ridiculously so. English is about 505 points which needs 4 A-levels, (you cannot use 3 and an AS, it's too low) nothing less than AABB and preferably higher. English jumps when you combine it with something else, especially History and Psychology.

Your AS subjects will not matter because in this case using one for points won't net you enough. Also Trinity is only against 'soft' subjects and against using PhysicsChemistry (ie. one combined subject) and presenting it with Physics. (Or chemistry).
Reply 44
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Ridiculously so. English is about 505 points which needs 4 A-levels, (you cannot use 3 and an AS, it's too low) nothing less than AABB and preferably higher. English jumps when you combine it with something else, especially History and Psychology.

Your AS subjects will not matter because in this case using one for points won't net you enough. Also Trinity is only against 'soft' subjects and against using PhysicsChemistry (ie. one combined subject) and presenting it with Physics. (Or chemistry).

My current sixth form college makes four a levels compulsory anyway, so I'm glad I'm already doing four! That's a bit of a shock. So, doing both the Englishes, Politics and Graphics is still alright? I'm not sure on the 'softness' of these subjects.
I think you should contact the admissions office to be sure. The website does say you cannot present English lit and Lang for matriculation or scoring purposes but if yours are at AS and not a level then I don't think they'll care but best to be sure. Contacts will be on tcd.ie and go to admissions. I meant soft subjects as in media general and p.e, not accepted and I know they're classed as soft subjects in the UK. We only have traditional subjects so that's why.
Reply 46
What about medicine at tcd? from what ive read its 735 points, how is that possible on the A level system? (im an international with A levels)
Reply 47
Hello everyone,

I need a little help. I would like to know if there are any structures for personal statement and reference letter? It does not say anywhere as far as what I have been looking at.

Also, I am currently taking the IB. I am not sure if I need to take the IELTS or not? I actually saw a website that you don't need to. But in case if it is required, what is the requirement for IELTS?

Thanks
Do you have to be religious to go there?
Reply 49
Original post by LucyTalks
Do you have to be religious to go there?

No.

And thread moved to International Study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending