The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sappho
You've changed your name!!! :eek:

yes lol... and no, it's not the lyric poetess. I would never copy you :tongue:
Reply 1441
Original post by *Corinna*
yes lol... and no, it's not the lyric poetess. I would never copy you :tongue:

What a pity that I won't get that honour!
I can't improve this damn essay. I feel so helpless. :frown:
That poor ancient historian on Take Me Out. Bless.
Original post by Aemiliana
That poor ancient historian on Take Me Out. Bless.
Which one was he? I missed that (well, I watched the programme, or glanced at it, but missed him), but it is shamefully good trash TV, as the alpha male flaunts himself in front of his harem of jumped up strumplets and generally makes a tit of himself.
Original post by jismith1989

Which one was he? I missed that (well, I watched the programme, or at least glanced at it, but missed him), but it is shamefully good trash TV, as the alpha male flaunts himself in front of his harem of jumped up strumplets and generally makes a tit of himself.

He was an ancient historian at Manchester, spoke German and did some of The Phantom of the Opera in German. He got a blackout.
He was an ancient historian at Manchester, spoke German and did some of The Phantom of the Opera in German. He got a blackout.
Oh yes, I did see him, just didn't hear that he was studying ancient history at Manchester, but I guess it makes sense.

If you're feeling sorry for him, I'm sure you could sidle up to him in lectures in that case.
Greetings, does anybody feel up to translating this? :wink:

Reply 1448
Original post by Linweth

That's my poem :tongue:

There are a few translations here: http://www.sappho.com/poetry/sappho2.html

Oh yes, I did see him, just didn't hear that he was studying ancient history at Manchester, but I guess it makes sense.

If you're feeling sorry for him, I'm sure you could sidle up to him in lectures in that case.

Makes sense?

He's the year above me but I'll be honest, I wouldn't say no. But then I like intelligent guys, so...
Makes sense?

He's the year above me but I'll be honest, I wouldn't say no. But then I like intelligent guys, so...
Well, debater, opera-buff, Germanophone, Tory -- ancient history seems to attract those kind of people, that's all.

Methinks you should at least try to speak to him sometime then (just, y'know, nonchalantly and non-stalker-like). He could well not be inclined to say no to you either. (Hmm, I'm not entirely sure of the quality of my matchmaking advice tbf though. :p:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Linweth

And I don't know whether it's helpful in the context or not but here's Catullus' Latin adaption of that poem (adaption rather that translation, because his fourth verse is completely different): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catullus_51
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah I do like that poem, it's one you end up accidentally largely memorising isn't it?
Thank you!
@ The Lyceum, yes I do like the poem... I've read it many times before so I'm glad that translation ended up being about what I had read already! I do like Sappho's poetry, it's so beautiful.
Reply 1454
Something which may impact my choice of insurance:
Coming at the languages as a beginner, would it be too difficult to start learning both Latin and Ancient Greek at the same time? Assuming courses tailored to beginners (in the first year there isn't, as far as I'm aware, any use of original texts) and, presumably, enough time to fit it all in
I'll be finding out more when I get to open days, but I thought I'd better test the water here
Original post by Sappho
That's my poem :tongue:

There are a few translations here: http://www.sappho.com/poetry/sappho2.html

if it's your poem can you please tell me what comes after the final line???
Original post by Aesc
Something which may impact my choice of insurance:
Coming at the languages as a beginner, would it be too difficult to start learning both Latin and Ancient Greek at the same time? Assuming courses tailored to beginners (in the first year there isn't, as far as I'm aware, any use of original texts) and, presumably, enough time to fit it all in
I'll be finding out more when I get to open days, but I thought I'd better test the water here

To be honest if you put the time in I don't think it would be too hard. I did them in different semesters but there were some similarities so they can complement each other nicely once you get over the different alphabets.
Hi everybody!

I need a few examples (i have a few, but could use some more!) of how the effects of the classical world are still felt in society today... Any thoughts?
Original post by yellowpurpleyellow
Hi everybody!

I need a few examples (i have a few, but could use some more!) of how the effects of the classical world are still felt in society today... Any thoughts?

Latin still used in court/science?

Types of architecture try to replicate the Roman/Greek models?

Italian fascists basing themselves on the Roman Empire?
Original post by SirMasterKey
Latin still used in court/science?

Types of architecture try to replicate the Roman/Greek models?

Italian fascists basing themselves on the Roman Empire?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending