The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iamlovinit05
Just checked my email, manchester has emailed me
about this exhibition and say they will be there.
And yea, i wont sign anything lol.
I'll be going alone. not my first time overseas alone so yea.

Hey,
I've been offered a place in London, so I will going over in September... I see that you've had past experience in studying overseas? What are some essential items that we need to bring there? I've read a few articles on TSR talking about them, but I need a fellow singaporean perspective! :tongue:
Original post by whitelily29
My friend said her visa took all of 5 days. And she booked her ticket before. I think I shall do that (:

Sounds good. Maybe I'll do that too!
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Hey,
I've been offered a place in London, so I will going over in September... I see that you've had past experience in studying overseas? What are some essential items that we need to bring there? I've read a few articles on TSR talking about them, but I need a fellow singaporean perspective! :tongue:

what uni are you going to? I went to melbourne in 2009. for my high school. I brought mainly clothing, stationary, laptop and personal effects. anything else can be bought cheaply. moreover, it isnt a nice feeling tugging 30kg worft of stuff around.
what uni are you going to? I went to melbourne in 2009. for my high school. I brought mainly clothing, stationary, laptop and personal effects. anything else can be bought cheaply. moreover, it isnt a nice feeling tugging 30kg worft of stuff around.

I will be going to the royal veterinary college.

I suppose uni and high school's a little different because we'll (or at least I will) have to figure out our own meals, but was there anything striking that you wished you'd brought along for your first year?

I suppose uni and high school's a little different because we'll (or at least I will) have to figure out our own meals, but was there anything striking that you wished you'd brought along for your first year?

Nothing much really. Everything should be able to be bought easily actually, it's just a matter of if it's cheaper there or here.
I'll be staying in a catered hall for the first year, so yea, mealwise, it's not that complicated.
Reply 2925
Manchester going down for good reasons - 150 to 1 lecture and charging 13kgbp per year.

NAV = V low

might as well go to NUS
Original post by Txi
Manchester going down for good reasons - 150 to 1 lecture and charging 13kgbp per year.

NAV = V low

might as well go to NUS

What does NAV mean?
Hey,

Not that I've much experience since this will be my first time too, but I've heard of some things from my friends who went last year.
Try not to bring too many things, like don't bring bed linen or too much kitchen utensils. It's not worth the weight. Apparently stationary is much cheaper here. I like to use uniball and I don't like to use ballpoint pen, so I'm personally going to bring a lot of stationary. I'm not planning to bring a lot of warm clothing either, for one, it'll probably be cheaper to get it in London, and it'll be a whole lot nicer too (:

Because I'm probably going with my parents in June to scout London, I'll probably try to find toiletries that I'd buy then. So that I won't need to carry more than a few days worth of toiletries when I go over.

Hope this helps (:
Reply 2928
hey people! i just joined this forum a couple of days ago. pleased to see that the singapore forum is very lively
Reply 2929
What does NAV mean?

Net Asset Value or value for money.

if lectures are 150 to 1 lecturer than can assume tutes are something like 30 x 5.

1 tute = 60 minutes thus the mean time 1 student gets attention from the tute leader ( not a lecturer ) is

60 / 30 = 2 minutes.

Thus you get 2 minutes individual attention every fortnight from a person who is NOT a FT lecturer but a Phd student and that person is usually not fluent in English
( Kundut )

So value is very low plus the name is going to mud but hey it's your money to waste.
Reply 2930

try to keep to the bare minimum.. i asked people in forums before, bring clothing, stationary, laptop and 1 week worth of toiletries and 1 set of long johns and warm clothes will do. if u bring too much later cannot fit into the university shuttle then die die lor, maybe got to pay some fee to transport to uni by another mode.
personally, i am trying to keep to 2 suitcases. i mean 30inch ones la... and buy good durable hardcases. sometimes the airport staffs just dump n throw them.
for me i cant stop shopping now for warm clothings so maybe after i settled down, i will get my parents to mail them to me. lol

i heard from my friends studying there that the hostel dont have ricecooker. so u have to buy yours, and printer is the other important thing. these things u buy there. either tesco extra or can get 2nd hand from charity shops. my friend got her oven at only 5 pounds ya... then go there shop for warm clothings and toiletries. since u gotta figure your own food, then buy groceries but not too much la, 1stly gotto share the fridge, then will have some food theives in house la, or maybe some bugger who buy food and dont consume n rot so the maggots will crawl to your food so dont buy alot and waste food haha...

i heard from people that the bank account they use in uk is hsbc... what about u guys?
Original post by Txi
Net Asset Value or value for money.

if lectures are 150 to 1 lecturer than can assume tutes are something like 30 x 5.

1 tute = 60 minutes thus the mean time 1 student gets attention from the tute leader ( not a lecturer ) is

60 / 30 = 2 minutes.

Thus you get 2 minutes individual attention every fortnight from a person who is NOT a FT lecturer but a Phd student and that person is usually not fluent in English
( Kundut )

So value is very low plus the name is going to mud but hey it's your money to waste.

I see. Are you a current student at Manchester now?
Damn, I got rejected from LSE and KCL so thats the best I have other then NUS of course.
Original post by whitelily29
Not that I've much experience since this will be my first time too, but I've heard of some things from my friends who went last year.
Try not to bring too many things, like don't bring bed linen or too much kitchen utensils. It's not worth the weight. Apparently stationary is much cheaper here. I like to use uniball and I don't like to use ballpoint pen, so I'm personally going to bring a lot of stationary. I'm not planning to bring a lot of warm clothing either, for one, it'll probably be cheaper to get it in London, and it'll be a whole lot nicer too (:

Because I'm probably going with my parents in June to scout London, I'll probably try to find toiletries that I'd buy then. So that I won't need to carry more than a few days worth of toiletries when I go over.

Hope this helps (:

lol you're taking pens over to England? :redface: It's probably a really smart and practical decision, but it sounds hilarious... packing a sack full of pens. :biggrin:

Original post by jonobebe
try to keep to the bare minimum.. i asked people in forums before, bring clothing, stationary, laptop and 1 week worth of toiletries and 1 set of long johns and warm clothes will do. if u bring too much later cannot fit into the university shuttle then die die lor, maybe got to pay some fee to transport to uni by another mode.
personally, i am trying to keep to 2 suitcases. i mean 30inch ones la... and buy good durable hardcases. sometimes the airport staffs just dump n throw them.
for me i cant stop shopping now for warm clothings so maybe after i settled down, i will get my parents to mail them to me. lol

i heard from my friends studying there that the hostel dont have ricecooker. so u have to buy yours, and printer is the other important thing. these things u buy there. either tesco extra or can get 2nd hand from charity shops. my friend got her oven at only 5 pounds ya... then go there shop for warm clothings and toiletries. since u gotta figure your own food, then buy groceries but not too much la, 1stly gotto share the fridge, then will have some food theives in house la, or maybe some bugger who buy food and dont consume n rot so the maggots will crawl to your food so dont buy alot and waste food haha...

i heard from people that the bank account they use in uk is hsbc... what about u guys?

I actually have no idea how this accommodation works... so once we sign a contract and everything (presumably before I fly over there, yes?) I go straight to the flat, right? So regardless of how many suitcases I have, don't I need to figure out how to get there by myself?

And once you purchase all these rice cookers and other stuff, where do you keep them during the holidays? I had a glimpse of my uni flat contracts, and they were usually for 42 to 48 weeks? So for that remaining 4 weeks, where can we keep our stuff?
Reply 2933
I see. Are you a current student at Manchester now?
Damn, I got rejected from LSE and KCL so thats the best I have other then NUS of course.

I'm at Bham, but I've been to Manchester a number of times and i'viewed at MU.

If i had to choose btwn MU and NUS, i think you know my answer.
Reply 2934
I actually have no idea how this accommodation works... so once we sign a contract and everything (presumably before I fly over there, yes?) I go straight to the flat, right? So regardless of how many suitcases I have, don't I need to figure out how to get there by myself?

And once you purchase all these rice cookers and other stuff, where do you keep them during the holidays? I had a glimpse of my uni flat contracts, and they were usually for 42 to 48 weeks? So for that remaining 4 weeks, where can we keep our stuff?

as far as i know from a friend, u sign the contract before u go, u will arrange a shuttle service from the uni too. when the shuttle drop u off at uni, there will be someone taking u to the accomodation. what i said about the overload is the shuttle service. the bus couldn't possibly handle 10 bags from each person right?

yes there will be a period of time where during the summer break where there is no accomodation. but what my friend did was to tell the landlord beforehand, and he agreed to let him stay during the summer break because he didnt want to go back home. if not u will have to find temporary accomodation elsewhere. if u are lucky to have a friend staying on, then u can plead to deposit your items with him. that's if u are reaalllllyyy lucky.
either that, or u can cater food from the uni, or buy takeaway everyday, or if not just dont eat rice for 1 year. the uni accomodation dont have ricecooker.
for printer, if u not buying, then simply rely on printing shop lor, that's simpler. haha!
Reply 2935

hey! i found another sgporean who is going manchester too! his nick is fellowjoe, he is threadstarter for "The things you like or dislike about your own country?" located in International Lounge.
hey! i found another sgporean who is going manchester too! his nick is fellowjoe, he is threadstarter for "The things you like or dislike about your own country?" located in International Lounge.

Yea i've talked to him already. He isn't confirmed going yet. Thanks though for the information! :smile:
Reply 2937
Yea i've talked to him already. He isn't confirmed going yet. Thanks though for the information! :smile:

u firmed manchester?
u firmed manchester?

80% gonna to. Theres no difference if i firm now or in March-April as I already have applied for my accommodation.
I'm just using the time now to find out more information about it. Been getting mixed reviews so I'm pretty confused.
Reply 2939
80% gonna to. Theres no difference if i firm now or in March-April as I already have applied for my accommodation.
I'm just using the time now to find out more information about it. Been getting mixed reviews so I'm pretty confused.

huh so u applied for accomodation without firming? seems kinda funny to me but not trying to be offensive to u..

but i must say manchester is very quick at updating u... which is good! i havent got anything from my uni til now though... dont know if i should email and ask them about it...

Quick Reply

Latest