The Student Room Group

BSc Economics firm choice, UCL or LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what a depressing thread.
Reply 21
Original post by Wave
LSE is the place for Economics but UCL isn't far behind So academically you wouldn't be disadvantaged whichever one you went to. UCL is a full size university so you would probably have more fun there.

Get your point and thanks!
Do you know about the difficulty of obtaining a 2:1 degree or above at LSE and UCL?
LSE is the tougher place is it also harder to get a 2:1 or the 2:1 percentage will be higher?
Reply 22
Original post by tehforum
LSE

Edit: honestly, I think either will do for you.

Congrats on your offers.

Thanks.:smile:
Reply 23
Original post by ascyb
Get your point and thanks!
Do you know about the difficulty of obtaining a 2:1 degree or above at LSE and UCL?
LSE is the tougher place is it also harder to get a 2:1 or the 2:1 percentage will be higher?

Er well at UCL it is pretty hard so those Oxbridge rejectors running to UCL for an easy ride are all in for a big shock. Everyone is always buried in work. As for LSE I would assume it is just as tough if not tougher.
Reply 24
LSE, without a doubt. It is the pinnacle of Economics in Europe, for sure.
Reply 25
LSE

hands down
Reply 26
Original post by Lomo_gurl
LSE

hands down

I am not a native English speaker so not very clear on what you mean sorry.
Could you express it in another way please?
Original post by ascyb
I am not a native English speaker so not very clear on what you mean sorry.
Could you express it in another way please?

A-hem.

'LSE, no question about it.'
'LSE, easy decision.'
'LSE, no doubt in my mind whatsoever.'
'LSE wins in my eyes.'

Something along those lines; she's very confident about LSE being the best choice, over UCL.
Reply 28
Original post by Id and Ego seek
A-hem.

'LSE, no question about it.'
'LSE, easy decision.'
'LSE, no doubt in my mind whatsoever.'
'LSE wins in my eyes.'

Something along those lines; she's very confident about LSE being the best choice, over UCL.

I see, thanks for making it clear.
Reply 29
Original post by ascyb
I come from mainland China. Yeah LSE carries higher prestige though UCL is also very reputable. Are you a student at either of the two unis? If you are could you tell more about them?
Also do you know anything about the percentage of good honous(upper-second degree) at LSE and UCl? LSE is relatively tougher, so is it also harder to get a 2:1 or above there?

Hm, I am starting Economics at UCL this year.

Well, I believe UK does not practice bell-curve grading hence if you get >70 you get a first class honours. I have friends studying Econs at both LSE and UCL, basically the standards of teaching are roughly similar although LSE has more talks by guest speakers. However, UCL is more inclusive as a university, more friendly, sociable and easy to mix around with new friends. LSE has a more distant feel to it, there isn't much close interaction with profs...

Choose UCL and see you in Sept haha. btw what were your grades like?
Reply 30
Original post by pandapower
Hm, I am starting Economics at UCL this year.

Well, I believe UK does not practice bell-curve grading hence if you get >70 you get a first class honours. I have friends studying Econs at both LSE and UCL, basically the standards of teaching are roughly similar although LSE has more talks by guest speakers. However, UCL is more inclusive as a university, more friendly, sociable and easy to mix around with new friends. LSE has a more distant feel to it, there isn't much close interaction with profs...

Choose UCL and see you in Sept haha. btw what were your grades like?

You mean my A-level?
I get 3a+A* in maths, my prediction is 3A*+A in futher maths.
The conditions of my UCL offer is 2A and my LSE offer is 2A+pass in further maths.
I am still not sure what pass mean, does it mean E or above?
May I ask according to your experience, is a first or upper second difficult to get at UCL?
I am now a bit leaning towards UCL, though still very undecided:confused:
Reply 31
Original post by ascyb
You mean my A-level?
I get 3a+A* in maths, my prediction is 3A*+A in futher maths.
The conditions of my UCL offer is 2A and my LSE offer is 2A+pass in further maths.
I am still not sure what pass mean, does it mean E or above?
May I ask according to your experience, is a first or upper second difficult to get at UCL?
I am now a bit leaning towards UCL, though still very undecided:confused:

Yep, E or above.
Reply 32
Original post by tehforum
Yep, E or above.

Thanks!:smile:
Go for LSE, as some have previously said, it is THE place for Economics, and I am sure that you will be having enough time for sleep and socialize if you organize it well. " where's a will, there's a way"! Good luck with your pick anyway, let us know which one you choose in the end!
Reply 34
Bit of a no brainer for us home based as lse has greater prestige for economics. I like to add that the negative vibe about lse study and students would be similar at ucl. Both require intense studying you will not relax more at ucl than lse.
Reply 35
Original post by franchesskah
Go for LSE, as some have previously said, it is THE place for Economics, and I am sure that you will be having enough time for sleep and socialize if you organize it well. " where's a will, there's a way"! Good luck with your pick anyway, let us know which one you choose in the end!

Thanks for your comments!
Yeah I will tell you when I have finalised my decision.
Reply 36
Original post by smoky188
Bit of a no brainer for us home based as lse has greater prestige for economics. I like to add that the negative vibe about lse study and students would be similar at ucl. Both require intense studying you will not relax more at ucl than lse.

Thanks for your comments. May I ask are you a LSE students? If you are could you tell me more about LSE?
When giving degrees, does LSE do a bell-shape distribution and only the top certain percentage will get good honours? Or if a students exceed 70%, then it is a first class and so on so forth.
Reply 37
If i were you, i'd choose UCL in a heartbeat. Better student life and experience than LSE and pretty strong overall reputation. You can work for all you want after uni, so why not enjoy life in the last stage of your education first? :smile:

And as someone else mentioned earlier, one of its two optional first-year modules, fashion studies is something i'm very keen on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Hey there, I'm facing a similar situation, can't make up my mind when it comes to choosing LSE or UCL! I can only firm either one as their offer conditions are the same! Though I'm slightly inclined to LSE.
Reply 39
Original post by fellowjoe
If i were you, i'd choose UCL in a heartbeat. Better student life and experience than LSE and pretty strong overall reputation. You can work for all you want after uni, so why not enjoy life in the last stage of your education first? :smile:

And as someone else mentioned earlier, one of its two optional first-year modules, fashion studies is something i'm very keen on.

Thanks for your comments. Taken that into account. btw Do you know at UCL are seminars taught by lecturers or PhDs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending