The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kaylafrances
Lol nah we were just ****ing around... No ones really been working which is bad
I'd say about 8 people have got interviews so far... Well the ones I know, and I have no idea about individuals but I assume BA.
Yeah you're right, and I'd say that too. But everyone does assume slade to be all painty and old master type but I guess they are trying to be all contemporary.
Also we have two tutors who are so boring and not rated at all (well not by me) who both went to slade... Put me off even more tehehe

Lol, really?! Slade = painty and old master type? Wow, I have completely the opposite impression. Slade is, IMO, really contemporary with mostly installation/sculptural/film/new media work, esp if you look at their online degree show work from the previous few years, haha. :tongue:
Reply 581
Original post by Princeling
Lol, really?! Slade = painty and old master type? Wow, I have completely the opposite impression. Slade is, IMO, really contemporary with mostly installation/sculptural/film/new media work, esp if you look at their online degree show work from the previous few years, haha. :tongue:

loooolss been stalking the **** out of all the online degree show archives too
Reply 582
Original post by Village Whisper

6) I originally thought I had to do a foundation, because I really wanted to go to Brighton and a foundation was a requirement. Although I now think my reasoning was pretty stupid, I'm really pleased with my decision 'cause I really needed this course. You just don't realise how...A-Levely your work is until you start a foundation! It's just so undeveloped, because you constantly have to go through it thinking "okay, that's AO1, that's AO2, I need some more AO3...", and your work is reduced to points in a mark scheme. There's a form of mark scheme for the foundation, but it's nothing like that, and as long as you develop your ideas etc. you don't really have to worry about it.

Whats AOI and AO2?
Original post by joelchan
Whats AOI and AO2?

Assessment criteria? we do actually have these on our Foundation course, but as previously mentioned as long as you are working hard and experimenting you tend to meet them naturally. But isn't it like AO1: Experimentation & exploratory ... AO2 Research .... AO3 Reflection and evaluation. The boxes your work has to tick to meet all the academic requirements.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 584
Original post by joverbena
Assessment criteria? we do actually have these on our Foundation course, but as previously mentioned as long as you are working hard and experimenting you tend to meet them naturally. But isn't it like A01: Experimentation & exploratory ... A02 Research .... A03 Reflection and evaluation. The boxes your work has to tick to meet all the academic requirements.

Not sure, never heard of them. I do A Level at the moment although they encourage experimenting all the time I didnt know we were supposed to be thing about these. No in my class does and we still get high grades. Maybe we have a different exam board that doesnt use them.
Original post by joelchan
Whats AOI and AO2?

Assessment criteria? we do actually have these on our Foundation course, but as previously mentioned as long as you are working hard and experimenting you tend to meet them naturally. But isn't it like AO1: Experimentation & exploratory ... AO2 Research .... AO3 Reflection and evaluation. The boxes your work has to tick to meet all the academic requirements.

Yeah, it's what your work is assessed against. Our teachers would always go through our work saying what we needed to do to get more marks in each of the Assessment Objectives, like more drawing, more experimentation, more research. It got to the point where people were like "I hate research, I hate drawing", which I think is a really awful way to go about it. You have to do this on the foundation still, but not in equal quantities like it was at A-Level. Like, you can kind of do it as you like to do it, whether that's research first, then drawing/experimenting or researching as you go along or whatever. I'm not sure how to explain it in any other way, really. Just...if you do the work and develop it and stuff, you won't have to worry about assessment criteria because they'll take care of themselves.
Original post by Soares
loooolss been stalking the **** out of all the online degree show archives too

LOL right?! I recognise all the work in the 2011, 2010 and 2009 degree shows by now... the 2011 one really annoys me though; it's really hard to click on anything because of their "creative" layout. :colonhash:
peeing myself with worry right now, my flatmate has got a letter for me from university of brighton so i've told her to open it and let me know, prepared for the worst...

She is leaving me in suspense too...... ahh help.
(edited 12 years ago)
peeing myself with worry right now, my flatmate has got a letter for me from university of brighton so i've told her to open it and let me know, prepared for the worst...

She is leaving me in suspense too...... ahh help.

i've never heard of brighton sending letters? isn't that more of an elitist sladey thing to do :confused:

here's my CFAP portfolio if anyone's interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76776020@N04/sets/72157629361249097/with/6891720793/

and i'm waiting for BAFAHA too :s-smilie: i asked my tutor about it and he said they usually work to a different timetable to BAFA as the head (who he knows from art school! name drop! name drop!) is based in visual cultures not fine art. it's still roughly end of feb/beginning of march for them to let you know and it's unusal for interviews to run past the first week of april, so i guess we should hear soon. he also said (shhhh) that there's fewer applicants for BAFAHA this year than normal, i wonder why? fees?
Original post by CuriousGeorgie
i've never heard of brighton sending letters? isn't that more of an elitist sladey thing to do :confused:

here's my CFAP portfolio if anyone's interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76776020@N04/sets/72157629361249097/with/6891720793/

and i'm waiting for BAFAHA too :s-smilie: i asked my tutor about it and he said they usually work to a different timetable to BAFA as the head (who he knows from art school! name drop! name drop!) is based in visual cultures not fine art. it's still roughly end of feb/beginning of march for them to let you know and it's unusal for interviews to run past the first week of april, so i guess we should hear soon. he also said (shhhh) that there's fewer applicants for BAFAHA this year than normal, i wonder why? fees?

Yes I expected the internet so I'm quite surprised they've sent a letter.
But so happy, I have an interview!!!

Here is a copy paste of what my flatmate sent me, kindly typing it out...:

you have an interview!

1 March, 11 o'clock

bring a 'selection of your work which represents your individuality as an artist, including, if necessary, images we have already seen digitally. Could you also please bring, or preferably email in advance to [email protected], two recent essays.'

interview btwn 20-25mins, wait till the end of that group of interviews before removing yr work

'We will be asking you among other things what artists you admire, what exhibitions you have visited recently and what books about art you have read. If you wish to prepare a list in advance, we won't mind at all.'

they enclosed a recent 1st yr reading list to give an idea of the kind of reading students on CFAP do

'please let us know as soon as possible if you can attend (or not) by emailing my colleague, Helen Kowalski at [email protected]

the reading list mentioned ISN'T included in the evelope

letter is from Joanne Bainbridge, Admissions Manager

it doesn't give her email address
Yes I expected the internet so I'm quite surprised they've sent a letter.
But so happy, I have an interview!!!

congratulations!!! it all sounds sounds absolutely terrifying! :biggrin:

would you mind giving me some idea of the reading list if you do manage to get hold of it? i've read lots of bits of books. the relevant bits. haha i hope that would count. and i need to write a second essay if i get an interview which i soooo hope i do now. well done you!!
Original post by CuriousGeorgie
congratulations!!! it all sounds sounds absolutely terrifying! :biggrin:

would you mind giving me some idea of the reading list if you do manage to get hold of it? i've read lots of bits of books. the relevant bits. haha i hope that would count. and i need to write a second essay if i get an interview which i soooo hope i do now. well done you!!

Thankyou! I've sent the email to confirm my attendance and asked for the reading list, hoping they have it in a document to email me rather than posting.. if I get it I'll paste it for you. Best of luck to you and everybody else whose applied to Brighton .. So for me that's 2 interviews (brighton + wimbledon) and 1 rejection(CSM) so far, just got chelsea and goldsmiths to get back.
Reply 592
Update...

Goldsmiths - Rejection
CSM - Interview pending
Camberwell - Interview yesterday - keeping everything crossed!
Chelsea - no word yet!

Has anyone heard back from Chelsea yet??

Congrats to all who made the Goldsmiths/Brighton interviews...... the Goldsmiths rejection was hard, they were my 3rd choice (below Camberwell & CSM) so I'm not gutted I wont be going there, but their rejection set me worrying about all the others - OMG what if NO ONE accepts me..... :biggrin: *manic laughter*

I really loved Camberwell - the interview was great, I want it sooooooooo badly!
Reply 593
Haven't heard from Slade yet. But had offer from Aber day after I went this week which was nice, so now two offers.

I think this thread is mainly refelecting the views of London area applicants ( mainly, I said), because there is hardly any mention of places North or West in comparison. No need to quote me the ones that do mention Nottingham and Leeds, but relatively speaking.

Technically I guess I don't need any more offers, but we'll see.
Reply 594
any one got an interview from falmouth
Has anybody got an interview for:
Glasgow School of Art - Sculpture and Environmental art
Newcastle
Slade?
A whole bunch of people, including two from my foundation, have gotten Slade interviews yet. I still haven't heard back, and it's doing my head in. Things might be different for the BA/BFA though - I applied for the latter, which seems a lot less popular.
Original post by KED
Update...

Goldsmiths - Rejection
CSM - Interview pending
Camberwell - Interview yesterday - keeping everything crossed!
Chelsea - no word yet!

Has anyone heard back from Chelsea yet??

Congrats to all who made the Goldsmiths/Brighton interviews...... the Goldsmiths rejection was hard, they were my 3rd choice (below Camberwell & CSM) so I'm not gutted I wont be going there, but their rejection set me worrying about all the others - OMG what if NO ONE accepts me..... :biggrin: *manic laughter*

I really loved Camberwell - the interview was great, I want it sooooooooo badly!

Oooooo when did you recieve your CSM interview, ive sent my portfolio pics by post but havent heard back yet!
I've also applied for Chelsea and only got an email saying they would send me further info regarding my application, havent even been asked to send any pictures yet :s-smilie:
Original post by Princeling
A whole bunch of people, including two from my foundation, have gotten Slade interviews yet. I still haven't heard back, and it's doing my head in. Things might be different for the BA/BFA though - I applied for the latter, which seems a lot less popular.

Im the same, so worried about Slade! Im literally obsessed with this thread for updates :smile:
Original post by OliviaBambrough
Im the same, so worried about Slade! Im literally obsessed with this thread for updates :smile:

Do you think they'll bother sending out emails on the weekend? I'm thinking we might hear on Monday, but I was so sure we'd all have known by yesterday... it seemed logical, y'know? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply