The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by white_haired_wizard
There was a downhill ice-skating event featured on BBC Breakfast this morning. Full of bumps and jumps and, IIRC, at least a couple of hundred metres in length. It looked insane and very dangerous.

Well worth trying to check it out if that bit of sports news can be found on the BBC website.

You probably mean Red Bull Crashed Ice - it's brilliant, sometimes it's on Eurosport
Reply 3701
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Right, guys, my chain keeps slipping (usually it just feels like it has slid forward one notch on the cogs) - any ideas? My bike was second hand a few years ago - I haven't used it that much, but I'm starting to use it a lot more now and am intending on taking it to uni - would it be an idea to get it serviced before I go?

Chain slipping is usually because of worn chainrings (the ones on the front), do you find it happens when you are in a particular one of those?
Reply 3702
Original post by dhr90
Just practice, the more you ride the more your legs will get used to it, in the past 2 years or so I have progressed to being 2 or 3 gears higher than when I started riding to uni.

Ignore your friend, if you get into an accident then wearing a helmet and being a "sissy" could save your life. Every rider in here will say the same. I've been called countless names for wearing a helmet, but having seen some nasty accidents its worth it. Besides in this weather it keeps your head warmer :wink: :biggrin:

Oh god yea, I would never take my helmet off, he's an idiot anyway, seems to object to anything and everything I do.

Original post by Irishguy2K10
Yea, I know what you mean but just keep the cadence high enough to so your doing 90-100 revolutions per minute :smile:
I sometimes use my mountain bike for shorter journeys and it is alot harder to get up them hills so fair play to you, work with what you have for the minute. Cadence is just the number of revolutions per minute.
Dont worry about what anyone thinks, that helmet would give you a greater chance of survival if you had a serious accident..... I cant glorify them enough. My helmet saved my life about 4 months ago when mountain biking.... hit a jump, didnt land the bike properly and went head first into a pile of rocks...... thak god for that helmet or I wouldn't be able to write this message :smile:
And yea as shr90 said, it keeps the head warm, and in this weather you sure need it.

I have been called every name possible... ranging from "narrow holed b***ard" to the even funnier "sexually confused c**t"... I'm guessing that last ones due to the lycra :biggrin:

Wow thats insane! My parents bought me a bus pass for this week so it's back to cycling after the half term, I'll try and sort out these damn gears too.

Original post by DH-Biker
Your friend, I'm afraid, is an idiot biker. Wearing a helmet is common sense and as DHR says, ignore him.

My helmets have saved my life probably a dozen times. The last helmet I had split open on a rock, which could've easily been my head.

I hate it when people say "helmets aren't necessary", just like DHR said, they are completely necessary.

Cadence is the number of revolutions per crank per minute. That's when pedalling. Top riders, such as Lance Armstrong, have peaked at 110 cadance, whereas other professionals sort of stuck around 90 cadance. Mine during a DH course at peak was 70, but I rarely get that high. I tend to get around 50 cadance.

Certain cyclists use it to accurately measure the best times to change gear, but for your level (I don't mean in terms of being good, but I assume you don't race professionally?) there's no need to focus on it. I only saw mine because a friend loaned me his cyclocomputer for pure interest in what I was running at on a good DH run. :redface:

Nope, not professionally at all, just cycle to college, I do try and race the cars though, trying to go as fast as them. I've always wondered how fast I'm actually cycling.
Had a lovely riding day today. Myself and a couple of friends headed to Whinlatter. Such a clear, crisp day and the view at the peak was astounding.

Couple new additions there, a few new lengths of trail too. :yep: Such a banging, flowly trail, its fantastic fun to shred.

Can't wait to get back again now, I only live ~20 miles away and still rarely go. The climb damn near kills me, though, as my friends were gunning XC bikes this morning and afternoon, whilst I was trailing up there on 203mm of super saggy suspension. Christ I'm surprised I wasn't sweating when I peaked that hil. :no:

Interesting fact I wasn't aware of until today, it towers 1600ft over Keswick; knock of maybe 800ft from Keswick to the actual car park, that was still an 800ft climb on a damn DH bike. :dry:
Reply 3704
I hate cyclists.
Original post by Jordan_1

I hate cyclists.

Care to explain why ? :smile:
Reply 3706
Care to explain why ? :smile:

Because the amount of times they just ride in the middle of the road is ridiculous! Not to mention half the time they try to speed up when im about the overtake.

But worse of all.. the Lycra. Oh god why the Lycra!!

Because the amount of times they just ride in the middle of the road is ridiculous! Not to mention half the time they try to speed up when im about the overtake.

Well you cant just judge the entire cyclist community based on a few idiots that ride in the middle of a road. I cycle as close to the footpath as possible and so does every member of my club. Most cyclists are very road safe and use lights and everything possible to avoid things like that.
Haha, just for the wind drag reduction...... and its more comfortable to ride wearing a air of lycra shorts than a baggy pair of shorts with no shammy. I dont honestly mind myself wearing the cycle shorts and jersey, brings out the muscle in the legs and arms more :wink:
Reply 3708
I hate cyclists.

Thank you for your wonderful contribution to The Cyclists Society. We'll take your viewpoints into consideration then make an official response in due course.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3709
Original post by Roobsa
Thank you for your wonderful contribution to The Cyclists Society. We'll take your viewpoints into consideration then make an official response in due course.

Spoiler

:rofl:

As the TSR Cyclists Society leader I whole heartedly approve of and second this post!

Can I nominate it for post of the year in the forum awards? :colone:

It normally depends on the conditions. I'm a 'roadie', so take the following viewpoints:

1. Coming home past Hampstead Heath today (highest point in London) and the main pond is literally frozen over tenfold. It's so cold that the kerbing is also iced up. My wheels went straight over it and slipped a few times. It is so unsafe to be on the side of the road in this instance.

2. If I'm doing 60kph in a 40mph zone and I'm going through a bend, then cars behind will just have to wait. Cars wouldn't be taken other cars at that speed, but because I'm a cyclist - a car has to seemingly pass. The vehicle driver needs to look at themselves in this regard. As a vehicle driver, I agree if cyclists are too slow, they should not be in the middle of the road unless its unsafe to be on the side.

3. Fortis Green Road, London N10/N2 - The road is so bad that the only way I will have a spine by the end of it is by following a newly laid piece of tarmac for data cabling which happens to be 2 metres from the kerbside. Thankfully I go fast enough and the majority of cars do wait until the 1km stretch is over.

As for Lycra! It is aero, helps with sweat and keeps you warm. I only wear this on training sessions. On all other rides, even nice sporty/casual rides, I prefer merino wool - as will the majority of informed cyclists.

Remember one thing: All the gear, no idea. You will be able to tell a good cyclist from a bad one from the way he rides the bike, the way he negotiates traffic and believe it or not wears his clothes! The majority who look OTT are simply MAMIL's or clueless.

:colone:
http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/#

live coverage of the "tour of quatar" :biggrin:
Reply 3712
http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/#

live coverage of the "tour of quatar" :biggrin:

It's finished for today though? I prefer Eurosport on my TV. :biggrin:
Original post by Roobsa

Original post by Roobsa
It's finished for today though? I prefer Eurosport on my TV. :biggrin:

Haha, I just realized that after i posted it :biggrin: But theres always tomorrow. I wish I had sky :frown:
Original post by fishgolf
Chain slipping is usually because of worn chainrings (the ones on the front), do you find it happens when you are in a particular one of those?

Um, I almost always use gear 2 of the three on the front ring - I just switch between the 7 on the other ring 90% of the time - but the little time I use gear 3 of the front ring the bike does run a lot smoother...

It may be a case of starting in a low gear and then changing up like with a car =P
Hey guys, can anyone give me a rough estimate on the price of a 2nd hand road bike?

I'm thinking of getting a bike, not for any serious cycling, just getting around and for fun. I really like the look of 'retro' style road bikes, but most of them are coming in at around 300 quid minimum :redface:

Would 2nd hand reduce the price much? Ta :smile:

Edit: When I say retro, I guess I mean stuff like this; I think aesthetically they look great. I think the one in that picture might be fixed gear though? Which I'm not really looking for. Retro isn't everything, just looking for a cheaper bike. Thanks!

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Converse Rocker
Hey guys, can anyone give me a rough estimate on the price of a 2nd hand road bike?

I'm thinking of getting a bike, not for any serious cycling, just getting around and for fun. I really like the look of 'retro' style road bikes, but most of them are coming in at around 300 quid minimum :redface:

Would 2nd hand reduce the price much? Ta :smile:

Second hand drastically reduces the price of a bike. What I paid for my bikes would essentially be halved, if not reduced two-thirds.

You should be able to easily pick up a bike along the lines you want for under £300. Just ensure the parts are all OK; often second-hand bikes will sometimes hide problems. Cracks in the parts, worn bearings, etc.
Original post by DH-Biker
Second hand drastically reduces the price of a bike. What I paid for my bikes would essentially be halved, if not reduced two-thirds.

You should be able to easily pick up a bike along the lines you want for under £300. Just ensure the parts are all OK; often second-hand bikes will sometimes hide problems. Cracks in the parts, worn bearings, etc.

Ahh sweet, that's good news.

I'm going to head down to a bike shop about 10 minutes from me tomorrow, I've heard they have some second hand bikes. Whether there will be road bikes there I don't know. Not even decided if I should buy a bike yet, but thanks for the help mate :smile:
Reply 3718
Not had the chance to get out on my bikes that much these last couple of weeks (hence no posts!), Uni and work have been taking up a lot of my time :frown:

But I did manage to get up to try the new trail at Queen Elizabeth Country Park (Hampshire - a few local riders have worked with the park to build a nice trail). It was great, but hard, I've never ridden a trail like that before (drops, jumps and switchbacks etc.), I usually just stick to XC routes :colondollar: It was an experience to say the least, and I definitely need to get a new set of tyres from my bike with the amount of times I was sliding around.

Also got SPD's for my road bike, still getting used to them, but the difference is amazing! :eek:

Hoping to get out on both bikes more, all part of my new fitness routine, and heading up to North Wales (Snowdonia) in a couple of weeks with a friend to do a bit of biking. Anyone got any suggestions on routes?
Reply 3719
Anyone watching the track cycling? Laura Trott absolutely killed it in the Omnium elimination round.

Latest