The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emily_becca
depends on whether i get UCL or not, UCL is my all time dream uni haha, however its unlikely with me not doing FM

They're taking bloody ages to respond - four months and counting so far for me
Original post by -Illmatic-
:colonhash:

they're like your second team now:P

163837292 days since I applied to warwick.
Original post by roseroserose.
they're like your second team now:P

163837292 days since I applied to warwick.

Lol if you say so :P

And yeah....only a few days left...i can sense it
Original post by Tateco
Offer from Bath sandwich as well! :biggrin:

Congrats! What is the sandwich by the way? :rolleyes:
I am still struggling with 'that' decision.
Reply 8505
Original post by perrytheplatypus
I disagree. I read a page and turn over, and then if someone were to ask me what I'd just read I'll be...

...0_0

Whereas in maths, once you've finished learning it, you can burn your books and use them to keep yourself warm the night before your exam doing past papers :h:

I think what i said wasnt worded very well.
The main point is I hate memorisation, I dont take in anything I read once, i need to keep writing it down to remember.
Where as with maths I just do questions and its a lot easier.
Reply 8506
Original post by member910132
5 rejections last year from the top 5,
This year I have offers from bath and UCL, was pooled and fished at Camb and then rejected, yet to hear from LSE and Warwick.

Sorry to hear about them rejections last year. But well done on your offers so far. I might end up in a similar position as you because I'm doing the same subjects but don't have any offers as of yet.

Did your grades let you down last year, or was it just bad luck?
Reply 8507
Original post by WalkerPrince
Congrats! What is the sandwich by the way? :rolleyes:

Year in industry :smile:
Reply 8508
Original post by Tateco
Year in industry :smile:

Do you have any idea about what you want to do that year? or are you still deciding?
Reply 8509
Original post by JuKaMy
Do you have any idea about what you want to do that year? or are you still deciding?

Don't have to decided for another 2-3 years so not yet :tongue: Would like something at BoE, or in banking, consultancy or energy :smile:
Reply 8510
Original post by Tateco
Don't have to decided for another 2-3 years so not yet :tongue: Would like something at BoE, or in banking, consultancy or energy :smile:

ofcourse, I'm sure any of those would be interesting though :smile:
i'd rather not spend a year in industry as it isn't necessary, unless it somewhat secures a first job after uni with a specific company
Reply 8511
Original post by JuKaMy
ofcourse, I'm sure any of those would be interesting though :smile:
i'd rather not spend a year in industry as it isn't necessary, unless it somewhat secures a first job after uni with a specific company

Believe me experience is necessary, there are so many graduates at the moment (especially economics graduates) that you need to stand out. I'm hoping to have a gap year to get some experience and then reapply to university next year anyway, I like the thought of taking a gap year better than a placement year as a placement year seems like it would be quite disruptive...
Original post by Az_016
Sorry to hear about them rejections last year. But well done on your offers so far. I might end up in a similar position as you because I'm doing the same subjects but don't have any offers as of yet.

Did your grades let you down last year, or was it just bad luck?

I had a terrible PS, my AS grades were decent (like average 93%) but the main issue was my very weak GCSE's.
This year I had a stronger PS because I did much WE and attended many econ courses, so I had more to write about add to that my high number of A*'s at A level so my situation is better.
Good luck with your application, if you do get 5 rejections then don't worry, I have benefited a lot from my gap year and I know have offers from places that were a long shot last year.
Original post by Tateco
Believe me experience is necessary, there are so many graduates at the moment (especially economics graduates) that you need to stand out. I'm hoping to have a gap year to get some experience and then reapply to university next year anyway, I like the thought of taking a gap year better than a placement year as a placement year seems like it would be quite disruptive...

Well done on the offer! Do you think you'll apply to the same places next year?
Reply 8514
Original post by Tateco

Yes it depends what you want to do, I just think (at least for what i want to do at first) that a whole year is overkill. Work experience (both paid - for uni expenses, and not - for career experience) can be gained in holidays, especially spring and summer breaks of which you will have at least 3.

I asked about the usefulness of the 'year in industry' during my couple weeks work experience last summer as i was deciding on courses to apply to. The trading floor manager who i spent some time sat next to said they are a waste of a year (in asset management and IB) because you simply can't do much when you have not graduated - at least not enough to productively fill a year, or even achieve what you could during a summer internship. The result is you end up doing jobs that any A level student of above standard capability could do (basic spreadsheets and research, filing, coffee - if they trust you to make it correctly :tongue:)

If that's not the stuff you want to go into then what i said doesn't apply to you and I'm sure you should know better than me whether the year will be useful for your career whatever that happens to be :smile: just not for me

Agreed on the disruption of the placement year
I had a terrible PS, my AS grades were decent (like average 93%) but the main issue was my very weak GCSE's.
This year I had a stronger PS because I did much WE and attended many econ courses, so I had more to write about add to that my high number of A*'s at A level so my situation is better.
Good luck with your application, if you do get 5 rejections then don't worry, I have benefited a lot from my gap year and I know have offers from places that were a long shot last year.

When you say very weak gcse's is this in context to other econ applicants or generally weak gcses? Also where did you get Work Exp as well btw? I may be in a similar position come March time
Original post by funkydee
When you say very weak gcse's is this in context to other econ applicants or generally weak gcses? Also where did you get Work Exp as well btw? I may be in a similar position come March time

3A* 5A..
I did WE at some gov econ departments, just email them.
Reply 8517
Original post by tooambitious
Well done on the offer! Do you think you'll apply to the same places next year?

Depends on UMS whether it's Oxford or Cambridge and I'll replace Nottingham with LSE (if I achieve my predicted grades)
Reply 8518
Original post by JuKaMy
Yes it depends what you want to do, I just think (at least for what i want to do at first) that a whole year is overkill. Work experience (both paid - for uni expenses, and not - for career experience) can be gained in holidays, especially spring and summer breaks of which you will have at least 3.

I asked about the usefulness of the 'year in industry' during my couple weeks work experience last summer as i was deciding on courses to apply to. The trading floor manager who i spent some time sat next to said they are a waste of a year (in asset management and IB) because you simply can't do much when you have not graduated - at least not enough to productively fill a year, or even achieve what you could during a summer internship. The result is you end up doing jobs that any A level student of above standard capability could do (basic spreadsheets and research, filing, coffee - if they trust you to make it correctly :tongue:)

If that's not the stuff you want to go into then what i said doesn't apply to you and I'm sure you should know better than me whether the year will be useful for your career whatever that happens to be :smile: just not for me

Agreed on the disruption of the placement year

Yes but whether or not you are doing something useful or not it is about getting that experience on your CV to improve your prospects. Of course that is going to be the case on the trading floor, they're not exactly going to let you start trading in a summer internship :tongue: In other sectors there is quite a lot of work you can do, and even within other departments of banks there is a lot you can do in more project-based departments like M&A and consultancy.
Reply 8519
3A* 5A..
I did WE at some gov econ departments, just email them.

What economics courses did you do?

Latest

Trending

Trending