The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle accommodation thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I started looking at them earlier but I'm waiting until I've seen all my unis and have my results in March before I firm. (I'm on my gap year and have resat exams in January so get my 'final' results in March) :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 21
Hi- got my email today- newcastle will be my insurance but haven't made a decision on UCAS yet

can anyone give any info of these halls which are the ones I'm looking into:
Victoria Hall
Marris House
Castle Court
Windsor Terrace

Pros and cons would be good- not looking into Ricky road much at all - while I do like parties, going out, drinking etc I'm not sure I want it THAT full on and the facilities are probably the worst I've seen at any uni.

I don't want a really quiet place full of people with their noses in books or keeping themselves to themselves in their rooms I want somewhere sociable and easy to make friends

Not fussed either way about en suite but DEFINITELY want self catered

Reply 22
Original post by Omiclops
Mate ÂŁ115/week for Central link though?! That's ridonkulous I'm not even sure the loans cover that do they? Also wait a second aren't there wifi cables? I don't like quiet too much however ÂŁ115/week is just too much!

Woah really? What subjects do you do?

History, Politics and Law, what about you? Yeah it's all wired connections but routers aren't allowed and apparently they can spot them really easy on the network. Not sure if it's possible at Newcastle but I know of people at Warwick who had turned their computer/laptop into a virtual router to get around it. Maybe that could work?

To be fair, ÂŁ115 isn't that bad compared to some of my other universities p/w costs, ÂŁ115pw is pretty much the cheapest at QMUL (I think) and Reading is even more iirc! I'm in a lucky position that I don't need a student loan.

I doubt I'll get in Central-Link though because I'm not an unconditional. I think it's more than likely I'll end up in St Mary's if I get the grades.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
I have applied for:
1st: Central Link
2nd: Windsor Terrace
3rd: Victoria Hall

To be fair Richardson Road looks fine as does Castle...but....I have heard some pretty bad reviews about them so...I played safe hehe, here is hoping now I get the grades to go!!! :smile:
I chose Windsor Terrace as my first choice, then a whole bunch of others, I like the look of Saint Mary's as well :smile: Took the advice of not going for catered.
Reply 25
Just completed my app

Chose Windsor terrace, Marris house and blank for first choice self catered with washbasin
Chose Richardson Road as 2nd option self catered.
Reply 26
Original post by PVisitors
History, Politics and Law, what about you? Yeah it's all wired connections but routers aren't allowed and apparently they can spot them really easy on the network. Not sure if it's possible at Newcastle but I know of people at Warwick who had turned their computer/laptop into a virtual router to get around it. Maybe that could work?

To be fair, ÂŁ115 isn't that bad compared to some of my other universities p/w costs, ÂŁ115pw is pretty much the cheapest at QMUL (I think) and Reading is even more iirc! I'm in a lucky position that I don't need a student loan.

I doubt I'll get in Central-Link though because I'm not an unconditional. I think it's more than likely I'll end up in St Mary's if I get the grades.

I do History, Politics and English haha, you're probably in one of my classes. Is your History teacher the woman?
But if what you say is true about VPN then I won't need a router or anything would I?
You got an offer off Queen Mary yet? Where's your first choice? I'm still waiting on Nottingham and QM. Why don't you need a student loan?
Reply 27
Is there no way you can go for catered and ensuite??
Picked ensuite Windsor Terrace, Victoria Hall, Castle Court and washbasin Windsor Terrace, Castle Leazes and St Marys :smile: Hopefully I get Windsor Terrace or Victoria Hall, but wouldn't mind any of them!
Reply 29
Original post by Omiclops
I do History, Politics and English haha, you're probably in one of my classes. Is your History teacher the woman?
But if what you say is true about VPN then I won't need a router or anything would I?
You got an offer off Queen Mary yet? Where's your first choice? I'm still waiting on Nottingham and QM. Why don't you need a student loan?

No, she is my form tutor though, I have the man instead. He's a nice guy but an awful teacher. I have Lyons for Politics, are you in the Wednesday 3.00pm class, or the other one?

Yeah I got an offer from QMUL around late November time, going to the offer open day tomorrow. My first choice was Warwick but I got rejected so now it's between QM and Newcastle, although I'll probably end up firming Newcastle as I think the A* requirement is putting me off and I fear that studying in London could be too sterile compared to Newcastle. QM's law dept. seems to be stronger than Newcastle's judging from here and other factors but I think Newcastle's stronger overall reputation counters that, and of course Newcastle's law dept. is by no means "weak".

Not applying for a student loan because my Mum and Dad are covering the costs.
Reply 30
Anyone else for Richardson Road? :smile:
Reply 31
check out this thread aswell for advice
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36309973#post36309973

and you dont need to firm to apply :smile: you can apply now if you have the offer
applied to Windsor Terrace/Castle Court/Castles Leazes in that order!

:biggrin:
Hey, I literally have no idea what I'm doing and will probably ask some stupid questions but would really appreciate some help. I've applied for a gap year so won't be starting until 2013...do I need to apply this year/can I apply this year? Please help ASAP as i'm stressing out about everyone already applying...
Original post by p7052

Original post by p7052
Hey, Newcastle Uni is my first choice but i am taking a Gap Year so won't be attending until 2013, if i reach the grades.
I am thinking Marris House, I have visited friends that are in Ricky Road and Marris House is so much better !!!

Hi...I am also taking a gap year...do you know anything about the application process for us? like do we do it like this year? I am so unsure of what to do!
Reply 34
Hello everyone! My choices are probably Marris House - St Mary's - Castle Court.

But i keep changing my mind lol. I feel St Mary's is great (& cheap) but how far away is it from the uni? As in, how many minutes of walking ? Oh & do they provide buses for free? Or do we have to pay for the bus each time? Or do we get some sort of campus card?
Sorry for bombarding so many questions but i really need these answers lol.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Has anyone else heard about Richy road being knocked down this year?
http://thecourieronline.co.uk/2011/11/ricky-on-the-road-to-ruins/

Does anyone have any idea about the timings of this and if it takes place during term time and if it will affect anyone starting in Sept 2012? I really want to go to Richy road, I want a live hall with a good social life but if there are building works going on whilst I'm there, I'm not too sure if I still want to go there.

The other place I've been looking at is Windsor Terrace, the actual hall is meant to be good but not to sure about the social aspect there, does the fact that there's less people really make a huge difference? 200+ people is still a lot.

Thanks for any help
Reply 36
Just finished with my choices. Top 3 are Castle Court, Central Link and Windsor Terrace! Now the wait, does anyone know how long it will take to receive accommodation offers?
Reply 37
Original post by Choppyy
Just finished with my choices. Top 3 are Castle Court, Central Link and Windsor Terrace! Now the wait, does anyone know how long it will take to receive accommodation offers?

June-July for unconditionals and after results day for conditionals.
Reply 38
Original post by PVisitors
June-July for unconditionals and after results day for conditionals.

Thanks very much.
Original post by Elderon
I have applied for:
1st: Central Link
2nd: Windsor Terrace
3rd: Victoria Hall

To be fair Richardson Road looks fine as does Castle...but....I have heard some pretty bad reviews about them so...I played safe hehe, here is hoping now I get the grades to go!!! :smile:

Where did you find those reviews? I've been looking everywhere to find out about them but I can't find much about anywhere other than ricky road :confused:

Quick Reply