The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8520
Original post by Tateco
Yes but whether or not you are doing something useful or not it is about getting that experience on your CV to improve your prospects. Of course that is going to be the case on the trading floor, they're not exactly going to let you start trading in a summer internship :tongue: In other sectors there is quite a lot of work you can do, and even within other departments of banks there is a lot you can do in more project-based departments like M&A and consultancy.

Yes, I understand, that is why i said 'just not for me'. Four years of holidays will suffice.
Reply 8521
Original post by JuKaMy
Yes, I understand, that is why i said 'just not for me'. Four years of holidays will suffice.

Yeah I agree :smile: I'm a big believer of experience and feel that if I was going somewhere like Bath instead of Oxbridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick for economics then that year in industry might put me on more of a level playing field with all the other grads when it comes to applications :smile:
Original post by Tateco
What economics courses did you do?

Many universities have public lectures, but in my case, the gov econ department I was visiting had a course the day of my visit so I sat in on that, also if you search online you can find some econ courses via live vid, for a fee of course.
Reply 8523
Original post by member910132
Many universities have public lectures, but in my case, the gov econ department I was visiting had a course the day of my visit so I sat in on that, also if you search online you can find some econ courses via live vid, for a fee of course.

Interesting, so did you literally just email random departments asking for experience?
Original post by Tateco
Interesting, so did you literally just email random departments asking for experience?

yea, I email about 13 and got responses from about 2-3.
Original post by Acerbic
They're taking bloody ages to respond - four months and counting so far for me

Same here, my application went off in september. I think its rude to treat applicants with such ignorance to be honest, i haven't even had a confirmation from them and had to email them to check they'd even recieved my application (i could rant about this for a while!).

Good luck with your application though!
Original post by akash297
Anyone firming bath? (or likely to)?

meeeee :biggrin:

(that's assuming i get rejected by UCL haha, I would be over the moon to go to bath!)
Reply 8527
Original post by emily_becca
Same here, my application went off in september. I think its rude to treat applicants with such ignorance to be honest, i haven't even had a confirmation from them and had to email them to check they'd even recieved my application (i could rant about this for a while!).

Good luck with your application though!

I agree, they know they will get the students no matter how they treat people but it's not necessary, there is no possible reason for it to take this long and they could at least keep us updated.
Original post by Tateco
Depends on UMS whether it's Oxford or Cambridge and I'll replace Nottingham with LSE (if I achieve my predicted grades)

Surely not Economics and Management! :eek:
Original post by tooambitious
i think you go to my school, does your surname begin with N? if not, sorry :P

Haha yes my surname does begin with an N, my first name begins with an A..am I who you think I am? :wink: :P
Original post by Purehakkai
Haha yes my surname does begin with an N, my first name begins with an A..am I who you think I am? :wink: :P

Yeah you are :biggrin:, well done on UCL! I assume you're firming it? What's your insurance?
Original post by Tateco
Depends on UMS whether it's Oxford or Cambridge and I'll replace Nottingham with LSE (if I achieve my predicted grades)

We could be applying to ox together then! I thought you were a bit put off my management, did sth change your mind?
Yeah you are :biggrin:, well done on UCL! I assume you're firming it? What's your insurance?

Yeah I withdrew from LSE so UCL will have to be my firm now. I'm putting Notts as my insurance, but I'm not firming/insuring on UCAS until after April.

Just curious...how do you know who I am?
Yeah I withdrew from LSE so UCL will have to be my firm now. I'm putting Notts as my insurance, but I'm not firming/insuring on UCAS until after April.

Just curious...how do you know who I am?

when you said to also applied to Chicago and the fact that ou got into UCL L101 (which only gives ffers to <50) you're a girl (ours is arguably the best girls schol in london) and you're username has asian connatations (?), so urm yeah :P
Original post by Tateco

:cookie:

Also, well done on Bath! I'll be replacing LSE with Bath (In the case of a gap yah)
when you said to also applied to Chicago and the fact that ou got into UCL L101 (which only gives ffers to <50) you're a girl (ours is arguably the best girls schol in london) and you're username has asian connatations (?), so urm yeah :P

I have to admit I am a bit worried, you aren't the first person to recognise who I am :P Do I know you..?
I have to admit I am a bit worried, you aren't the first person to recognise who I am :P Do I know you..?

ish:ninjagirl:
Reply 8537
Original post by WalkerPrince
Surely not Economics and Management! :eek:

If I don't have the UMS for Cambridge then it's worth a punt!
Reply 8538
Original post by -Illmatic-
:cookie:

Also, well done on Bath! I'll be replacing LSE with Bath (In the case of a gap yah)

Thanks :biggrin: Where will you apply if you have a gap year? :smile:
ish:ninjagirl:

Would you like to PM me? So atleast I know who I am talking to?

Latest

Trending

Trending