The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
Original post by emmacymru
How did the Cardiff one go in the end? xx

I think the interview went ok, the people we're all really nice but I dont think I'll get a place b'cause everyone else seemed so confident with much more experience than me /= have you heard from Swansea yet? xx
Original post by zoii
I think the interview went ok, the people we're all really nice but I dont think I'll get a place b'cause everyone else seemed so confident with much more experience than me /= have you heard from Swansea yet? xx

Aw don't think like that.. They have to take into consideration the fact that you're younger than some who apply so you won't have all the experience they do, just think positive :smile: nope haven't heard yet, which i'm taking as good because at least i've not been rejected yet I suppose :P let me know how everything goes for you though! xx
Reply 1962
Original post by Snowfreeze
I got an offer the day after the interview. First there's an hour's presentation about the course, and you get told all these things like "If you're not dedicated, healthy, motivated etc" you won't survive on the course. Then they interview you.

They ask you 10 questions and the interviewer said they ask the same questions to everybody. Some of mine were: 'Why do you want to be an adult nurse instead of a mental health or child nurse?', 'Give an example of where you've shown compassion', 'What advice would you give to somebody who isn't used to a multicultural society, as London is very multicultural?', 'What do you think an adult nurse does that say a healthcare assistant doesn't do?

When they say 'Do you have any questions' at the end, try to ask 2 questions as it looks good.

Aah okay dokey, thanks a lot for the help
Congrats on the offer man
Original post by ali93
Aah okay dokey, thanks a lot for the help
Congrats on the offer man

Thanks, good luck with your interview :smile: They said they tell everyone whether they got in or not a day or two after the interviews, so you'll know quite quickly.
Reply 1964
Original post by gemma.louise89
....They southampton one went really well, the group activity was nice. Everyone in my group took it in turns to make points and listen to each other which was good :smile: sorry to hear you got rejected... I'm still waiting to hear but they said around 2 weeks!

You have absolutely nothing to worry about Brighton they were the nicest one I've been to for interview so far! The interview was more of an informal 'chat' they asked how i got to brighton and about my job as a dental nurse. They were also very encouraging with the questions and made me feel at ease!

There was no group discussion for brighton just individual interviews and a short maths and english paper (which was the easiest i've had at a uni so far) lol.

For tips... Make sure you dress smart, arrive early and bring ALL you photocopies and originals of documents as some people didn't and it didn't look too good. Smile at the interviewers and make conversation as they did chat to us before we were interviewed too but just casually asking where we were from etc.

Chat to the other people there as it shows your confident and friendly/polite. Don't talk if the interviewers are (all common sense stuff)! ALSO... don't wear nail varnish or big earrings lol.. I know it sounds silly but just think of what nurses are allowed.

Not sure for city london to be honest.. don't want to give potentially wrong info so maybe ask someone else who's already been interviewed?

Good luck with your applications and really hope you get an offer!

Whats your first choice?

Gemma x

thanks Gemma
you made me feel more confidnet about Brighton
it was southampton but didnt get in so its Bournemouth, next closest one to me- i live in southampton-
i wanted to go to london but not live there- its like two hours journey on the train- do u think its worth it? like the commuting
thanks for the tips
mariam x
Original post by farya
thanks Gemma
it was southampton but didnt get in so its Bournemouth, next closest one to me- i live in southampton-
i wanted to go to london but not live there- its like two hours journey on the train- do u think its worth it? like the commuting
thanks for the tips
mariam x

Your welcome :smile: which ones have you been accepted and rejected at?

Not sure the commuting is worth it, will probably be a struggle as that will be a large part of your day just travelling and will be difficult once your on placements....

Let me know if you need any help or advice etc x
Original post by farya
thanks Gemma
thanks for the tips
mariam x

I had an interview at Brighton last year. As per Gemma's experience, it was the easiest of all my interviews. I really wouldn't consider London unless you're going to live there. The placements wouldn't be feasible due to the long hours you could do, starting at really early hours/finishing late. You should also consider the costs of travelling for placement. The only costs you could claim would be the distance from uni to placement - not the cost from home to placement. Good luck for Brighton, I really liked it there and put it as my Insurance. Great placements from what I remember. :smile:
Original post by lozzie986
I took mine 2 weeks ago and have not found out yet. I am preparing for the worst but hey ho:smile: Congrats on your pass when did you take it??

I took it on the 4th February, what about you? Only found out on Friday though! Fingers crossed for yours!! :smile: x
Reply 1968
Original post by glf2110
I had an interview at Brighton last year. As per Gemma's experience, it was the easiest of all my interviews. I really wouldn't consider London unless you're going to live there. The placements wouldn't be feasible due to the long hours you could do, starting at really early hours/finishing late. You should also consider the costs of travelling for placement. The only costs you could claim would be the distance from uni to placement - not the cost from home to placement. Good luck for Brighton, I really liked it there and put it as my Insurance. Great placements from what I remember. :smile:

oh thanks soo much
yea i kept on having doubts about going there or not
do u think its still worth going to teh intevriews?
also i have relatives - dads coisin with his family- we are not extremely close but have contact
do u think they would mind if i went to london unis and when i had a like an early or late shift at placemnt maybe stay with them
do u think that could work or still not worth it
thanx
x
Reply 1969
Your welcome :smile: which ones have you been accepted and rejected at?

Not sure the commuting is worth it, will probably be a struggle as that will be a large part of your day just travelling and will be difficult once your on placements....

Let me know if you need any help or advice etc x

i was rejected from southampton
but have an offer at bournemouth
brighton sounds really good, will go to my interview on 2nd march
and then theres the city interview on 29th feb and havent heard from kingston
x
what do u think if i went to uni in london then if i had an early shift or late shift as part of placemnt- maybe could stay with relatives living in london
for like a day or two at most
x
its just teh kingston uni wants 240 pts and thats my lowest uni
just in case i mess up with exams
Original post by farya
oh thanks soo much
yea i kept on having doubts about going there or not
do u think its still worth going to teh intevriews?
also i have relatives - dads coisin with his family- we are not extremely close but have contact
do u think they would mind if i went to london unis and when i had a like an early or late shift at placemnt maybe stay with them
do u think that could work or still not worth it
thanx
x

Seriously, if you're not going to live in London I would forget studying there. One of my friends on Adult at Soton leaves at 0500 to get to her current placement at a local hospital. She does 12 hour shifts across the week. Considering that you're not really close with the relatives, I dont think that this would be feasible for you or them, and don't forget the costs. The choice to go to interview is yours. It would be good practice for the unis that you're more interested in. I think that studying in London would add a lot more stress to your life and the course/placement isn't easy. Also consider the friendships that you would make at uni, would be had to keep these up if you don't live locally.
Hope all goes well. :smile:
has anyone else NOT heard back from bradford yet?
Is anyone else applying for accommodation and not living at home? I just have a query about this because when I went to apply it said I must sign a contract for a year but at my interview they said I'd only live on campus for about 6 months so how is living on campus possible?
I took it on the 4th February, what about you? Only found out on Friday though! Fingers crossed for yours!! :smile: x

I took mine on the 4th aswell :smile: Maybe I'll find out monday, is Cardiff your first choice??
Original post by farya
i was rejected from southampton
but have an offer at bournemouth
brighton sounds really good, will go to my interview on 2nd march
and then theres the city interview on 29th feb and havent heard from kingston
x
what do u think if i went to uni in london then if i had an early shift or late shift as part of placemnt- maybe could stay with relatives living in london
for like a day or two at most
x
its just teh kingston uni wants 240 pts and thats my lowest uni
just in case i mess up with exams

I think kingston is meant to be a good uni but the travelling will impact on how well you will do as you will be tired... I don't think it will be worth it to be honest unless you move there.

Will be hard to ask your relatives if you aren't that close to them to stay at theirs as well, particularly for late shifts as you won't want to wake them up in the middle of the night when you get home.

Good luck for your Brighton interview as thats a really good uni and at least you've got an offer already at Bournemouth so your going not matter what :smile:

Gemma x
Original post by lozzie986
I took mine on the 4th aswell :smile: Maybe I'll find out monday, is Cardiff your first choice??

Cardiff and Brighton are my first choices... I can't decide. So at least I know I've got an offer for Brighton and just need to do my Cardiff interview! :smile:

Is Cardiff your first choice?

I found out about 3pm on Friday so you've still got plenty of time... and I would imagine they sent out the rejections before the interviews as they would have known who had failed the exam after marking them.

Good luck! Bet you'll be checking your emails every hour like me...

Gemma x
Reply 1976
Original post by KingGoonIan
Is anyone else applying for accommodation and not living at home? I just have a query about this because when I went to apply it said I must sign a contract for a year but at my interview they said I'd only live on campus for about 6 months so how is living on campus possible?

If your going to Northumbria then you can live in for 41 or 43 weeks I think, but if your willing to pay the extra then I am sure you can stay 52 weeks. There are lots available at Northumbria so I think they offer different letting periods depending on which campus you are at :smile:
Reply 1977
Hi I'm new here, are there any other EU students applying for Adult Nursing in the UK, so far I've got 3 interviews lined up....:eek:
Original post by jadey21
If your going to Northumbria then you can live in for 41 or 43 weeks I think, but if your willing to pay the extra then I am sure you can stay 52 weeks. There are lots available at Northumbria so I think they offer different letting periods depending on which campus you are at :smile:

Ok thanks for pointing that out :smile:
Reply 1979
Original post by KingGoonIan
Ok thanks for pointing that out :smile:

Not a problem, its all very exciting stuff!! I already have my own flat but decided I want to live in :smile: Want the experience of living in halls, should be fun!

Just desperate to hear from Northumbria now :smile:

Quick Reply