The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by non
you could choose a science or are you not as good at them?

I'm doing GCSE Triple Science and I'm looking at about A*AA, with the A* in Biology. A in Maths. I'm quite good at them, but have next to zero interest, not to mention the fact they don't really tie in with my career aspirations.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2901
Original post by TheWrightStuff
I'm doing GCSE Triple Science and I'm looking at about A*AA, with the A* in Biology. A in Maths. I'm quite good at them, but have next to zero interest, not to mention the fact they don't really tie in with my career aspirations.

are you joking me a science in one of your 4 options for example would look like this: history, eng lit, classical civ and bio. this would look better than having drama or sociology. its btter to have science and arts for an arts degree than just arts. you will stand out but if you have no interest don't take it all i'm saying is that it will look better if you take a science.
Hi guys!

I also want to do medicine. I'm definately doing maths, biology and chemistry but for my fourth AS i'm not completely sure. I'm leaning towards geography but for medicine would it be better to do psychology or physics?

Original post by Lucyloo859
Hi guys!

I also want to do medicine. I'm definately doing maths, biology and chemistry but for my fourth AS i'm not completely sure. I'm leaning towards geography but for medicine would it be better to do psychology or physics?

Pick whichever you like best. Geography is fine.
I've chosen (although I can still change) History, French, Biology and Geography. I'm really trying to keep my options open, for arts courses (or speech and language therapy type stuff) so wondering if those would be ok? :smile:
Original post by Lucyloo859
Hi guys!

Totally fine! Just make sure you can get an A in it :tongue:
Is it a bad idea to take just one science?
I've been here before but.....

Well I need some advice on my choices. I want to do medicine at a good uni and am picking my choices. Here's what I want to do:

English Lit.
Biology
Chemistry
Geography

But I'm really good at Maths and know it would be more useful for me. Also everyone expects me to take it......so here is what I think I should do:

English Lit.
Biology
Chemistry
Maths

However I'm not especially interested by math and I want to do geography.......but I think that I should do math....advice?
ok thanks, i think i'll take geography :smile:
Original post by Student96
I've chosen (although I can still change) History, French, Biology and Geography. I'm really trying to keep my options open, for arts courses (or speech and language therapy type stuff) so wondering if those would be ok? :smile:

They sound okay but would it be a good idea to study English?
Reply 2910
Original post by Dannyboy1236

Well I need some advice on my choices. I want to do medicine at a good uni and am picking my choices. Here's what I want to do:

English Lit.
Biology
Chemistry
Geography

But I'm really good at Maths and know it would be more useful for me. Also everyone expects me to take it......so here is what I think I should do:

English Lit.
Biology
Chemistry
Maths

However I'm not especially interested by math and I want to do geography.......but I think that I should do math....advice?

your choice, maths is better but if you get a better grade in geography, geo is better

Original post by PardonMyFrench96
Is it a bad idea to take just one science?

no but it depends on what course you want to do at uni.
Anybody know whether or not politics is considered a (relatively) soft subject by some establishments? From several people on TSR I've read that it's well respected, but for example on Trinity College, Cambridge's website it is on a list of 'A levels of More Limited Suitability' whereas at Churchill, Cambridge it is considered as a respected and suitable arts subject. I know that the top universities don't speak on behalf of everyone, but does anyone have any other information, anecdotes, or examples on Government and Politics a level for Russel/1994 Group Universites. I'm considering studying law or a similar subject, if that helps at all.

Also if anyone does French or both French and Politicss could you let me know what you think and whether or not you enjoy the course. I am good at French and so find GCSE easy and have been advised to take it for a-level, but I'd much rather study Politics providing it isn't going to put me at a disadvantage when appyling for degree courses.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by benpearson1
Anybody know whether or not politics is considered a (relatively) soft subject by some establishments? From several people on TSR I've read that it's well respected, but for example on Trinity College, Cambridge's website it is on a list of 'A levels of More Limited Suitability' whereas at Churchill, Cambridge it is considered as a respected and suitable arts subject. I know that the top universities don't speak on behalf of everyone, but does anyone have any other information, anecdotes, or examples on Government and Politics a level for Russel/1994 Group Universites. I'm considering studying law or a similar subject, if that helps at all.

Also if anyone does French or both French and Politicss could you let me know what you think and whether or not you enjoy the course. I am good at French and so find GCSE easy and have been advised to take it for a-level, but I'd much rather study Politics providing it isn't going to put me at a disadvantage when appyling for degree courses.

Thanks in advance.

I take French and Politics, and I have offers from Russell/1994 Group unis so I don't think Politics would put you at a disadvantage! I think having Politics would ony look bad if you took 3 "soft" subjects too, so I wouldn't worry about that :smile:
French is amazing at A-level :love: I got bored at GCSE because it wasn't a challenge, but A-level is so interesting and it's not as much work as it may seem; you pick everything up along the way then come exams you suddenly realise how much you've progressed :biggrin:
Politics is also pretty awesome; the course itself is really interesting, and again, it's not too difficult to get your head round :biggrin: so long as you read the papers and keep up with the work it's not too bad, and if you have to do General Studies it comes in really useful for that :lol:
the two together also go really well; at A2 in Politics you study Europe so having an understanding of French culture is quite useful, and I've been able to get sources from French papers instead of relying on small articles in British papers which aren't as detailed. Politics is useful for some of the French content too as it helps with understanding culture :biggrin:
Politics would be great for studying Law in the future; a lot of the content is relevant to both, so it'd definitely be worth taking :biggrin:
hope that helps!
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for your comment, very helpful. I need to decide by the end of next week so hopefully I will make the right choice! I would probably study both politics and french at a level if possible, but unfortunately it isn't possible as they're in the same option block. Although it is totally my fault for not putting them down on my likely a level form, but either way I'm happy with my other three choices and hopefully will make the right choice between politics and french.
Thanks for your comment, very helpful. I need to decide by the end of next week so hopefully I will make the right choice! I would probably study both politics and french at a level if possible, but unfortunately it isn't possible as they're in the same option block. Although it is totally my fault for not putting them down on my likely a level form, but either way I'm happy with my other three choices and hopefully will make the right choice between politics and french.

option blocks are irritating; I had a clash even with being one of the first to hand in my completed form so it's just one of those things! They'd both be great for Law; with French I think you could also do European Law with French at some unis...don't quote me on that though :tongue: good luck with the choosing! :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

there's a document on the russell group website called 'informed choices'

English Lit.
Biology
Chemistry
Geography

English Lit.
Biology
Chemistry
Maths

if u wanna do medicine you need maths. if i was u i would ditch the english lit, and im saying this from personal expierence that english lit isn't very fun lol
Original post by cuckoo99
if u wanna do medicine you need maths. if i was u i would ditch the english lit, and im saying this from personal expierence that english lit isn't very fun lol

I know it's very useful and everything......but what university says you need it?
And did you take english Lit? Why did you not like it?
Reply 2918
I know it's very useful and everything......but what university says you need it?
And did you take english Lit? Why did you not like it?

some do but some don't require maths but most prefer it.
come to think of it , not many universitys actuly say its a requirement but most who will apply for medicine will have maths chem and biology and another subject as their A-levels. i mean who are the uni gunna accept, the person with maths as an A-level or the guy without? and ye i take english lit and its not very fun tbh. if you are a science lover like me dont take english. because you will just find it so unstimulating and borring though that is dependent on how much u love poetry and books and writing about devices that supposedly the author used on purpose to hook the reader(lol bs)

what grades at gcse are u geting ?

Latest