The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I find it extremely ironic that I made around 12 applications and that my only interview/offer has been from GS IBD.
Reply 4661
Original post by erklam
Did you apply for UBS Horizons? If so, the assessment centres for that have already passed.:frown:
Me and my friend got our rejection for the programme last week even though I know I did very well on the online tests. It's just they already filled up their ACs...
Good luck though, especially if it is not the horizons you applied for:smile:!

No, didn't apply for horizons. I'm no more confident that I'll get an interview/offer at UBS. But **** it, I've got two internships safe, one of them at a MM M&A boutique. This is all that counts :smile:. A SW would've been the cherry on the top.
Reply 4662
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Of course "fast tracking all those would be a huge mistake". That's why that's not how it works. But the rest of what you said isn't entirely correct, at least not for a fair few firms that I know of.

Firms are different but certainly some of them will get in touch with whoever you list as a 'contact' at the firm and ask whether they know you and what they think of you, with a potential fast-track in mind. What you do to make them remember you and think well of you is up to you.

Oh yeah definitely! If you actually know someone at the firm, be it a HR person or a MD, it will help. I just didn't interpret "chatting at careers fair" as a relationship that a HR person would remember. It would be a bit like expecting a bus driver to remember his passengers:smile:
Reply 4663
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I find it extremely ironic that I made around 12 applications and that my only interview/offer has been from GS IBD.

Congrats.
Wouldn't this be due to something that was screwed up in your initial (pre-interview) application (be it a typo or maybe even just an element of your CV that is not too strong)? This could have been (luckily and maybe accidentally) overlooked by GS but not the other banks... and after that, at the interview stage you performed well. And you might have easily passed at other banks as well but you did not get invited because of the initial issue.
...just something that came to my mind as a possible explanation but I do realise there is no chance this was actually the case lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4664
Original post by thecodman
Thanks :smile: how did you know?? i went on there website and couldnt find the link for applying thought they ran out of places:s-smilie:

I got into the Insight Academy just few days before the April one filled up. By the time I registered for the July one, the April one was not even an available option to choose. I am pretty sure they still have places on the ones I mentioned before - but then, apparently, no more applications are taken. Most likely, I'm afraid, they have hundreds of interviews lined up already:/
did anyone outside of the EU apply for PWC Insight Academy or Partner Shadowing?

I'm asking because they dont sponsor the visa and Im not sure how hard is it to get the visa if you dont come from an EU country?
Original post by erklam
Oh yeah definitely! If you actually know someone at the firm, be it a HR person or a MD, it will help. I just didn't interpret "chatting at careers fair" as a relationship that a HR person would remember. It would be a bit like expecting a bus driver to remember his passengers:smile:

If you just do the average '2 minute chat and then escape with free stuff and/or business card you will never use' thing, then yes. A chat at a careers fair is not a relationship. It is potentially a good beginning to a relationship, if you follow up.
Original post by erklam
Congrats.
Wouldn't this be due to something that was screwed up in your initial (pre-interview) application (be it a typo or maybe even just an element of your CV that is not too strong)? This could have been (luckily and maybe accidentally) overlooked by GS but not the other banks... and after that, at the interview stage you performed well. And you might have easily passed at other banks as well but you did not get invited because of the initial issue.
...just something that came to my mind as a possible explanation but I do realise there is no chance this was actually the case lol

I'm glad you said that, otherwise I would gave given you the most sarcastic response ever.
Reply 4668
just out of interest...

does anyone know the kind of intake sizes the bigger banks have (obviously i know it varies), but are we talking 20-30 or 100+ for spring weeks.

also anyone know roughly how many applicants there are per place?

cheers.
Reply 4669
Original post by gangst
just out of interest...

does anyone know the kind of intake sizes the bigger banks have (obviously i know it varies), but are we talking 20-30 or 100+ for spring weeks.

cheers.

1) For 1 division? Something on the bigger scale of things 35-ish (like GS) down all the way to 6-12 (DB, Citi). Across all divisions I guess something a bit over 100+ is normal.

2) Much (uncountable).
Original post by gangst
just out of interest...

cheers.

I think JP this year was 40 for each division.
Hey,
I wasn't able to apply to most of the spring weeks as I was ill, I haven't heard back from most so it does not look good as of now. I was wondering if it is possible to apply to off-cycle internships, there are many available in the bulge banks, is this possible for a first year student?

Thanks for the help, congrats to all those with offers
Lesson learnt: If you don't go to any bank events/presentations/networking sessions and write generic cover letters, you will not get any SW offers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4673
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Lesson learnt: If you don't go to any bank events/presentations/networking sessions and write generic cover letters, you will not get any SW offers.

i doubt this is strictly true. there may be some truth in it, but unless you have made a solid contact, I doubt this adds little to your application.

I think it is a lot to do with luck!
Original post by gangst
i doubt this is strictly true. there may be some truth in it, but unless you have made a solid contact, I doubt this adds little to your application.

I think it is a lot to do with luck!

I kinda meant my two points as linked i.e. My cover letters were generic because I didn't name drop/have anything insightful to say about the bank due to the fact I didn't attend any events.

Then again I had no incentive to because working in IB isn't at the top of my career wish-list. So this whole experience hasn't been a total tragedy lol
Reply 4675
I kinda meant my two points as linked i.e. My cover letters were generic because I didn't name drop/have anything insightful to say about the bank due to the fact I didn't attend any events.

Then again I had no incentive to because working in IB isn't at the top of my career wish-list. So this whole experience hasn't been a total tragedy lol

ahh ok no worries. :smile:

just out of interest, what do you want to do and if it's different what was the point of applying to sw's?
Original post by gangst
ahh ok no worries. :smile:

just out of interest, what do you want to do and if it's different what was the point of applying to sw's?

I'd really like to pursue a Master's and get into development economics atm. I applied to SW's because at the time I thought I could've got at least one interview due to me being at a target university and having decent grades/work experience. I didn't apply to too many banks though (e.g. I gave up on my DB, RBS, UBS and BarCap applications because I couldn't be bothered to answer their competency questions :colondollar:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4677
(e.g. I gave up on my DB, RBS, UBS and BarCap applications because I couldn't be bothered to answer their competency questions :colondollar:)

Eeeexactly the same problem bro :biggrin:
for people with pwc offers, are there anyinterviews/ACs involved in the selection process???
Reply 4679

How will going to those sessions help?

Latest

Trending

Trending