The Student Room Group

Doing an Access Course after Cancer

Basically I had just started my History degree at Kingston last September when I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer. I had to undergo Chemotherapy from October until mid-January. I also had a further operation which kept me in hospital for a little while longer.

Eventually by March I conceded that I had fallen too far behind to catch up but also that I wanted a fresh start outside of London.

So I reapplied via ucas explaining my situation in my PS. My ALevels were always pretty poor as I coasted through college. I ended up with a B for Media, a D for Psychology, an E at AS for Sociology and a D for Applied Business at AS. 240 points overall.

I applied to Leeds Met, Manc Met and Nottingham Trent all for Politics/History related courses. I quickly got a UC from Leeds Met (an area I'd love to study in)
and another UC from Manc Met.

However, I've decided I want to study at a higher ranking university as Leeds and Manchester are both rated poorly for History degree's and student satisfaction ratings are also really poor. Nottingham Trent is ranked higher but the campus I'd have to study on is way out of the city in a dull, ghetto unappealing area.

Therefore, I've decided to do an Access to Higher Education Diploma for Politics. However it'd be a year and a half before I would eventually get to uni. I'd be 21 going on 22. Is that too old for university?

Would other higher ranking universities (Uni of Leeds, Uni of Nottingham, Roho, Bristol) disregard my application as my Alevels are rubbish?

Would the course even be worth it and open up a better calibre of university to me? Or should I just accept Leeds Met.

I'm really at a loss here so even any minor thoughts would help
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Given the current moment that getting into uni os going to be much harder each year, this is what I would do if I was you I would accept Leeds Met because it is the area you would love to study. At the end of the day, so many people go to universities that are not considered 'prestige' but still manage to get a job. I think you should go to Leeds Met, then for your Masters if you wish to pursue and advance study at a high ranking universitiy, but at the end of the day you would have already gotten an actual degree rather than a diploma, so that would be good. I have a friend she went to London South Bank, studied psychology there and did her Doctorate at UCL, it does not matter where you study for your undergraduate to be honest, it is having experience and making the most of the situation:smile:
Hope i've helped :smile: and well done for your offers.
Reply 2
But don't you think the standard of lectures would be greater at a higher ranking uni?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by rodcarter
But don't you think the standard of lectures would be greater at a higher ranking uni?

No. In fact many people at higher unis report their lectures to be very poor, as their lecturers are focused on their research most of the time and not teaching. Of course, this isn't all of them but i've seen it said quite a lot.
Reply 4
Hmm I don't know, I really wanna go somewhere prestigious though ...
Ring Leeds Uni and Manchester Uni and ask if they would consider you in the future, given your A Level grades and the Access Diploma you intend to gain. Better to ask now than to do the Access course and find they won't accept it.

And 22 is definitely not too old for uni :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Ring Leeds Uni and Manchester Uni and ask if they would consider you in the future, given your A Level grades and the Access Diploma you intend to gain. Better to ask now than to do the Access course and find they won't accept it.

And 22 is definitely not too old for uni :smile:

hey thanks for the response.

I rang Leeds yesterday and they said they do accept Access courses (Politics = 65% at Level 3).

I'm so confused, it'd feel like such a massive step back going to college after I've experienced university life already.

I took a gap year, went to Kingston - illness forced another gap year and then I'd have to take another year out studying. So technically it'd be one and a half years from now until I got to go uni.

I'm considering just accepting Leeds Met purely for the city rather than the institution.
(edited 13 years ago)
hey thanks for the response.

I rang Leeds yesterday and they said they do accept Access courses (Politics = 65% at Level 3).

I'm so confused, it'd feel like such a massive step back going to college after I've experienced university life already.

I took a gap year, went to Kingston - illness forced another gap year and then I'd have to take another year out studying. So technically it'd be one and a half years from now until I got to go uni.

I'm considering just accepting Leeds Met purely for the city rather than the institution.

Even if you start at 22 and graduate at 25, you've still got at least 40 years to work! A year or two off that to get onto the perfect course for you and set yourself up for the best start in working life is surely worth it?
Reply 8
If I did my undergrad at Leeds Met, do you think I could do a masters at a top uni or not?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I think if you did your undergraduate at UC, anyone has a chance of doing a masters at a top uni i know people who studied at London Met, but went on to do masters at Cambridge university :smile: its about getting either a 2:1 or 1 in a degree, get some experience then use that degree to go places. Just because you earn at a degree at a 'lower' uni does not meet that you are destined to stay there :smile:
Reply 10
In case anyone cares I'm holding offers from Leeds, Loughborough and most likely Manchester too. Access wasn't a bad idea after all.
In case anyone cares I'm holding offers from Leeds, Loughborough and most likely Manchester too. Access wasn't a bad idea after all.

That's great - well done :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending