The Student Room Group

Unpopular Music Opinions

Scroll to see replies

No one on the Internet outside of corresponding communities knows there is a completely different side of dubstep and hip hop, different to what you hear on the radio and find on YouTube's front page.

That always seems to be an unpopular opinion, being labelled as purist and elitist, even though it's true: dubstep especially has suffered from Internet-pejoration :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Lady Gaga is rubbish.

Cue the negs.
Original post by Newky
Adele is detestable. Her voice and songs in general make me want to turn inside out and scream blood.

Lady Gaga is ****.

99% of mainstream music exists for the sake of being popular, not for being good music.

Oh, and its ****.

Think that just about covers it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Once people realise this, we will get out of this hellhole of meaningless **** that the public call "music".
Reply 43
Original post by Kaeseia
I guess Deicide or Cannibal Corpse are the least "popular" of my music preferences,
but not many like Liszt or Chopin either. :rolleyes:

I think autotune should be promptly destroyed and never spoken of again...
and I find it difficult to respect mainstream "pop" artists who simply sit and sing. IMO real artists make their own music and at least write their own songs, preferably play instruments.

A lot of them don't even sit and sing, they sit and mime to a pre recorded auto tuned track because they have no talent.
Reply 44
Original post by RedDevilThing
Dubstep is absolutely awful.

99% of the stuff you find in charts is also awful, it's music made to sell hard and fast, rather than have any lasting value.

Daft thing to say really, whether your a fan of the genre or not 'Untrue' is undoubtedly in the top few albums of the last decade.

Edit: Oh your a muse fan, that sort of nonsense is expected then.
Reply 45
Original post by danadd9
Musical form/structure should be way more developed in the 21st-century than it actually is. Intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-interlude etc. is too safe and familiar. This is why black metal is the only good subgenre of metal

Doom metal? Also not every band in a certain genre is verse-chorus and that's not always necessarily bad. However I agree black metal is probably the least conventional of the lot.

Top three BM bands?

Original post by danadd9

This. Class struggle, oppression and poverty are still widespread in first-world countries and hip-hop artists aren't afraid to address them as problems.

All themes which hardcore and punk music have covered too.
Reply 46
Original post by emi_sarb
A lot of them don't even sit and sing, they sit and mime to a pre recorded auto tuned track because they have no talent.

Ugh, nothing is worse than that mimed crap.
Pitbull and Dappy- talent=nil, fame=beyond belief.

Why on earth has this happened?
Reply 48
Original post by metalthrashin'mad

I don't think because a musician has died it should automatically mean people should love them. If you didn't like them when they were alive, why suddenly start because they died. I was upset when Ronnie James Dio died, but I had been a GENUINE fan for about 6 years.

Couldn't agree more. I think I could have counted on one hand the amount of times I'd heard any of my friends mention Whitney Houston up until last week, but she dies and suddenly she was the idol of about 50 people on my Facebook. Give me a break.
Original post by Kaeseia
You think? :tongue: Cheers :smile:

Hmmm, got a soft spot for Arch Enemy :love:
Kataklysm, Nile, Soilwork
but I've been getting more into black metal recently :colone:

It was. Only listen to Nile a lot out of those, and Arch Enemy are pretty good, but I haven't heard much by them.

I prefer black metal most of the time too
Original post by mau5

Edit: Oh your a muse fan, that sort of nonsense is expected then.

:rofl:
Dubstep is retarded.
Skrillex is more retarded.
Adele is awful, as is most 'popular' chart music.

The top ten most beautiful, genius music I have ever heard is all classical, or modern classical. (Carl vine)
Reply 52
Heavy metal is rubbish.

Country songs are rubbish.

Dubstep is rubbish.

Pop is rubbish.

The mainstream songs are rubbish (people think it is dance, those songs aren't dance they're pop mixed with dance. Which is ****).

Dance songs are awesome. Nothing better than Trance, House, Electro, Electro-House and techno.

Rap is actually good (not the **** you find on the charts).

Punjabi music all the way!
Reply 53

Who's that?
Reply 54
Mainstream music isn't that bad on the whole. Probably controversial on here. And dubstep is fantastic.
Reply 55
Original post by Pheylan
Who's that?

Was going to ask the same question...
Reply 56
Ed Sheeran is incredibly unoriginal and boring.

'Indie' is dead, or at least it doesn't mean the same thing it did 10 years ago.
Reply 57
also, Muse, Radiohead and Coldplay = :yawn:
Reply 58
Anything outside mainstream culture is considered to be out of the 'norm,' even though it only lasts for a few weeks.

Most of the music nowadays is just synthesised/computer effected crap, take a look at someone like Britney Spears live or Niki Minjajajajaja
Yellow Magic Orchestra edge out Kraftwerk in my opinion. :P

Observe: [video="youtube;aWt46pcZ6Kc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWt46pcZ6Kc[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest