The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danworldpeace
hello, guys.

I've got some qusetions, could anyone help me to answer these.
I got rejection from UCL last week and I am so eager to go to London! So I am wondering if I still have the chance to get a place from LSE after rejecting by UCL.
I am still waiting for LSE, my PS followed the Personal statement website form LSE and I have no idea about my reference.
Btw, I am an international student and my IELTS is 8.0, I hope these will help me to get a better chance. I was still pretty positive after rejecting by Cambridge until got rejection from UCL!:bawling::bawling:

username: Danworldpeace
Subject:economics L101
AS&A2 subjects: Physics, maths, further maths, economics

I got 4 a's in my AS level and my predicted grades are A*A*A*A*
And if anyone have any idea about economics in Warwick, I know that the WBS is well-known but I dont know if they do quiet well in economics as well?

Hope everyone get their dream universities! : )

Good start
Original post by jamiepango
Have you visited any other universities in the UK which you can compare it to? I guess it's not always about the location, and like you said, you can always live closer to more "livelier" parts of the city :tongue:

Well I only visited Oxford (stayed there during the interviews), LSE and I saw King's College. Of course you can't compare the location of a 60s uni with the locations of Oxbridge. I think I'd get used to it though :tongue: The most important thing is the quality of the course anyway :smile:
Original post by Danworldpeace
hello, guys.

I've got some qusetions, could anyone help me to answer these.
I got rejection from UCL last week and I am so eager to go to London! So I am wondering if I still have the chance to get a place from LSE after rejecting by UCL.
I am still waiting for LSE, my PS followed the Personal statement website form LSE and I have no idea about my reference.
Btw, I am an international student and my IELTS is 8.0, I hope these will help me to get a better chance. I was still pretty positive after rejecting by Cambridge until got rejection from UCL!:bawling::bawling:

username: Danworldpeace
Subject:economics L101
AS&A2 subjects: Physics, maths, further maths, economics

I got 4 a's in my AS level and my predicted grades are A*A*A*A*
And if anyone have any idea about economics in Warwick, I know that the WBS is well-known but I dont know if they do quiet well in economics as well?

Hope everyone get their dream universities! : )

Getting rejected from UCL does not mean you will automatically get rejected from LSE. You have strong grades, predictions and subjects. You have as good a chance as anybody. Good luck.

Original post by nightmare91
Well I only visited Oxford (stayed there during the interviews), LSE and I saw King's College. Of course you can't compare the location of a 60s uni with the locations of Oxbridge. I think I'd get used to it though :tongue: The most important thing is the quality of the course anyway :smile:

How about Warwick vs LSE in terms of location and atmosphere? :biggrin:

In all honesty, I think I prefer the course structure at Warwick and I'm not too sure about the LSE100 compulsory module...

How about Warwick vs LSE in terms of location and atmosphere? :biggrin:

In all honesty, I think I prefer the course structure at Warwick and I'm not too sure about the LSE100 compulsory module...

The location of LSE is definetely more interesting for me. I LOVE London. I like living in big cities so I'd prefer that. I can't say much about the atmosphere since I was just inside of some LSE bulidings and at Warwick I actually attended the Open Day. Both have a very competitive atmosphere I suppose. But just like you I prefer Warwick's course structure. LSE's course also has some interesting modules but Warwick's is just much more flexible. If I had to make a decision I'd choose LSE I think but not because of reputation or something like that, I'd choose it purely because I prefer London. But I am sure I won't have the honour to decide between those two anyway :tongue:
Original post by nightmare91
The location of LSE is definetely more interesting for me. I LOVE London. I like living in big cities so I'd prefer that. I can't say much about the atmosphere since I was just inside of some LSE bulidings and at Warwick I actually attended the Open Day. Both have a very competitive atmosphere I suppose. But just like you I prefer Warwick's course structure. LSE's course also has some interesting modules but Warwick's is just much more flexible. If I had to make a decision I'd choose LSE I think but not because of reputation or something like that, I'd choose it purely because I prefer London. But I am sure I won't have the honour to decide between those two anyway :tongue:

Totally agree on Warwick's course being much more flexible. Personally, I'm not really too keen on living in London, mainly due to insane living costs and also I would prefer a campus university. In terms of competitive atmosphere, I don't think anywhere can match LSE's I think :colondollar:
Reply 8585
Totally agree on Warwick's course being much more flexible. Personally, I'm not really too keen on living in London, mainly due to insane living costs and also I would prefer a campus university. In terms of competitive atmosphere, I don't think anywhere can match LSE's I think :colondollar:

This...
Original post by Tateco
This...

I have a funny feeling that Warwick have decided this year to release all their major decisions, offers and rejections, all in one day, just to make us suffer :erm:
Reply 8587
I have a funny feeling that Warwick have decided this year to release all their major decisions, offers and rejections, all in one day, just to make us suffer :erm:

Maybe :frown: they have given out some but they don't seem to have done any big batches yet, don't know how much longer they can wait.
Original post by Tateco
Maybe :frown: they have given out some but they don't seem to have done any big batches yet, don't know how much longer they can wait.

We'll find out soon enough :tumble:
Reply 8589
If i am lucky enough to get an offer from Warwick on top of LSE, it will be a tough but somewhat-already-made decision for which to firm. Warwick would provide a much better lifestyle and i think i would enjoy my time there more, though I don't think i will not enjoy LSE if i get my grades to go there.

I don't want to regret not going to LSE in 10 years time when all the other applicants to the same job went there and i chose Warwick :confused:

Does anyone else think that the result of LSE Economics Vs Warwick Economics is clear (in favour of LSE) or would any of you argue for Warwick being the better all-round choice?
Reply 8590
Original post by JuKaMy
If i am lucky enough to get an offer from Warwick on top of LSE, it will be a tough but somewhat-already-made decision for which to firm. Warwick would provide a much better lifestyle and i think i would enjoy my time there more, though I don't think i will not enjoy LSE if i get my grades to go there.

I don't want to regret not going to LSE in 10 years time when all the other applicants to the same job went there and i chose Warwick :confused:

Does anyone else think that the result of LSE Economics Vs Warwick Economics is clear (in favour of LSE) or would any of you argue for Warwick being the better all-round choice?

I'd pick LSE but it's not without it's drawbacks, I believe you can make what you want out of university and if you are going there to get a job then reputation is most important.
Reply 8591
A woman hears from her doctor that she has only half a year to live. The doctor advises her to marry an economist and to live in South Dakota. The woman asks, "will this cure my illness"? Answer of the doctor: "No, but the half year will seem pretty long".
Reply 8592
Original post by JuKaMy

I imagine in ten years time, it won't really matter what University you went to when applying for a job, but what you have achieved in the time you have been at work. If I were you though, I would go to LSE - you say that Warwick would provide a better lifestyle, but is this based on fact, or hearsay on here that everyone at LSE is miserable?
Original post by Tateco
A woman hears from her doctor that she has only half a year to live. The doctor advises her to marry an economist and to live in South Dakota. The woman asks, "will this cure my illness"? Answer of the doctor: "No, but the half year will seem pretty long".

Haha :tongue:

Interesting how some people like these educational jokes, whilst I'd be satisfied with stuff like this-

Reply 8594
Original post by Tomatochuckers

Interesting how some people like these educational jokes, whilst I'd be satisfied with stuff like this-

:laugh: That did make me laugh :tongue:

I'm not particularly a fan of educational jokes, it just seems appropriate considering the thread :wink:
Original post by Tomatochuckers

Insane reaction speed :colone:
Reply 8596
Original post by FDR
I imagine in ten years time, it won't really matter what University you went to when applying for a job, but what you have achieved in the time you have been at work. If I were you though, I would go to LSE - you say that Warwick would provide a better lifestyle, but is this based on fact, or hearsay on here that everyone at LSE is miserable?

Not that everyone at LSE is miserable, or even a majority. It's quite simple: one is a green campus with accommodation and sports facilities right there, whilst the other is in the middle of a city with less facilities and accommodation is not ideally placed.

I'm not complaining - that's just pointing out the obvious stuff
I do think that it's up to the individual to shape how they spend their time at either of the two so the unis cannot be wholly blamed.

In the end LSE Economics is truly difficult to beat on reputation, at least within Europe, and so that's what makes LSE the winner IMO - keeping in mind there is no reason why life at LSE cannot be enjoyable
Original post by Tateco
:laugh: That did make me laugh :tongue:

I'm not particularly a fan of educational jokes, it just seems appropriate considering the thread :wink:

Yeah both types are good! Though I do know some people who dismiss slapstick comedy :frown:, and are more into witty stuff :yep:
Offer from Edinburgh! AAB so good insurance. Happy :smile:
Reply 8599
Original post by thegenius31416
Offer from Edinburgh! AAB so good insurance. Happy :smile:

Well done :biggrin: you firming Bristol?