The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by y.yousef
Seemed like the thread was doing better, when a girl called 'Hogwartz' existed.

She was just a piece of wood with about as much intelligence as a dead crow. Sorry, but I'd rather have some quality discussion in this thread as opposed to the mind numbing drivel that she spouted out.
Let me see you try :wink2:

Well here goes...

Today I was at the cinema and I watched 'Conquest 1453' (Fetih 1453). The trailer of it is here:

For those who don't know, this is based on the capture of the capital of the Byzantine Empire by the long siege of the Ottoman Empire that was under the command of Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II. I'd say that the film follows Ulubatlı Hasan just as much, if not, more than Mehmed II though.

Hasan 'was among the first to climb the walls of Constantinople followed closely by thirty of his friends. He carried only a sword, a small shield and the Ottoman Flag. He climbed the wall, under showers of arrows, stones, spears and bullets. He reached the top and he placed the flag, which he defended until his 12 remaining friends arrived. After that he collapsed with 27 arrows still in his body. Seeing the Ottoman flag inspired the Ottoman troops and kept their spirits up until they had conquered Constantinople.'

The above's just from wikipedia. :colondollar:

Oh and my bf told me of a guy who stuck a GS flag onto the Fener football pitch, that has also been nicknamed Ulubatli for doing so:

:laugh:
(edited 12 years ago)
You have a crazy life :teehee:
Reply 1203
Haven't posted as much recently. Bangin' out my dissertation. :holmes:

Sup.
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Well here goes...

Today I was at the cinema and I watched 'Conquest 1453' (Fetih 1453). The trailer of it is here:

For those who don't know, this is based on the capture of the capital of the Byzantine Empire by the long siege of the Ottoman Empire that was under the command of Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II. I'd say that the film follows Ulubatlı Hasan just as much, if not, more than Mehmed II though.

:laugh:

I knew about that film and I want to see it, it looks so cool. Im very much into far past historical war and conquest films, (think 300, Troy,..MP Holy Grail etc:wink: ) Id even watch without translation subtitles!

But I don't know how anyone in the US could ever get to see it.:frown: At least there's no way movie theaters here would ever play foreign films.:mad: And all that seems to play in America now is complete rubbish lately. (though "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was pretty good)

s'all good though, Im not bitter!:biggrin:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
She was just a piece of wood with about as much intelligence as a dead crow. Sorry, but I'd rather have some quality discussion in this thread as opposed to the mind numbing drivel that she spouted out.

your description made me chuckle :smile:

Oh and my bf told me of a guy who stuck a GS flag onto the Fener football pitch, that has also been nicknamed Ulubatli for doing so:

for us poor losers who cant speak turkish, what does ulubatli mean?
:colondollar:
Oh and my bf told me of a guy who stuck a GS flag onto the Fener football pitch, that has also been nicknamed Ulubatli for doing so.

Oh, did he now?

Spoiler

Everyone knows about that. He's Graeme Souness, the former Liverpool manager. In revenge, Fenerbahce's 'Rambo' did something similar and planted the Fenerbahce flag in the centre of the Ali Sami Yen stadium, while wielding a knife.

rambosi3.jpg
Original post by minniiee
for us poor losers who cant speak turkish, what does ulubatli mean?
:colondollar:

It's the name of the historic figure who died covered in arrows as he stuck the Ottoman's flag onto the castle walls of Costaninople while the Ottoman's were taking over it.

Oh, did he now?

Spoiler

Everyone knows about that.

Well I didn't. :mad:

You have a crazy life :teehee:

Aşk olsun, I write such a massive post and this is all you respond with? :naughty:
It's the name of the historic figure who died covered in arrows as he stuck the Ottoman's flag onto the castle walls of Costaninople while the Ottoman's were taking over it.

Well I didn't. :mad:

Aşk olsun, I write such a massive post and this is all you respond with? :naughty:

thaaanks :smile:
Apologies :redface:
I'll give you some Lahmacun to make it up to you.
Apologies :redface:
I'll give you some Lahmacun to make it up to you.

Thanks, but Akkuz would probably end up stealing my lahmacun if I'd try to eat it :tongue:

Also the thread's gone dead again. GS V. Beşiktaş anyone?
Reply 1211
merhaba everyone
nasılsınız?

(the only 2 expressions I remember!)
Reply 1212
Meraba herkes :smile:

I just wanted to say "hi" so greetings from Barcelona.. :wink:
Reply 1213
Fenerbache vs. Galatasaray today.

Can gala snatch the title!? :party2:
Original post by Akkuz

my bro supports fener
to annoy him i claim to support gala (i dont follow football)
last time i was in turkey i bought him a gala shirt having said id get him a fener one....
he was not happy :')
Reply 1215
Thanks, but Akkuz would probably end up stealing my lahmacun if I'd try to eat it :tongue:

Also the thread's gone dead again. GS V. Beşiktaş anyone?

You know it, gurl. :colone:

my bro supports fener
to annoy him i claim to support gala (i dont follow football)
last time i was in turkey i bought him a gala shirt having said id get him a fener one....
he was not happy :')

That is the ultimate insult :lol:
Original post by Akkuz
You know it, gurl. :colone:

That is the ultimate insult :lol:

i know!

worse thing is... he actually wears it :O
i know!

worse thing is... he actually wears it :O

There is no way a true Fener fan would wear a GS shirt unless he was going to get showered in crap. :nah:

Original post by Akkuz

Fener's rubbish this year anyway. GS should have won that.
Reply 1218
Oh, did he now?

Spoiler

Everyone knows about that. He's Graeme Souness, the former Liverpool manager. In revenge, Fenerbahce's 'Rambo' did something similar and planted the Fenerbahce flag in the centre of the Ali Sami Yen stadium, while wielding a knife.

rambosi3.jpg

:rofl: Turkish people. :cool:
Reply 1219

Whats more funny is that the village folk decided to take Christopher Nolan and the producers of the recent Batman films to court. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest