The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joinedup
there's a document on the russell group website called 'informed choices'

Already looked at it, it didn't particularly help in answering my question since it just gives examples of subject combinations and what is required for each degree.
Reply 2921
I need to make my A-Level decisions soon and was wondering which A-Level I ought to take.

I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths, as I am going down the Medicine career path.

Do you recommend a language for A-Level, Economics or Sociology?

I know none of them are related to Medicine, however which would be most beneficial when applying for Uni's i.e. do they prefer versatility?

Thanks! Your opinions are welcome! :smile:
some do but some don't require maths but most prefer it.

So I'll be disadvantaged without it?
Original post by cuckoo99
come to think of it , not many universitys actuly say its a requirement but most who will apply for medicine will have maths chem and biology and another subject as their A-levels. i mean who are the uni gunna accept, the person with maths as an A-level or the guy without? and ye i take english lit and its not very fun tbh. if you are a science lover like me dont take english. because you will just find it so unstimulating and borring though that is dependent on how much u love poetry and books and writing about devices that supposedly the author used on purpose to hook the reader(lol bs)

what grades at gcse are u geting ?

So you think without maths I'll be disadvantaged? Anyway what are you planning on doing at Uni?

Yeah....I want to take it because it'll be a break from the constant sciencey and maths stuff- even geography is linked to science. I thought it'd be a nice change to analyse some poetry after learning a bodily process in biology. And that I couldn't bear doing physics.

Well....I'm still in yr 10 (thought I should start thinking early..) so I only know that I have an A* in maths and I got an A* in 20% of my english......awaiting science results in march but in class and stuff I'm working at around A's/A*s....maybe slightly less in one of my languages. Is that good enough for medicine?

Another thing....I've been thinking about it lately..but if I end up getting an A on the first 25% of my biology and chemistry would it be wrong of me to want to retake to achieve an A*
Original post by Mohil
I need to make my A-Level decisions soon and was wondering which A-Level I ought to take.

I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths, as I am going down the Medicine career path.

I know none of them are related to Medicine, however which would be most beneficial when applying for Uni's i.e. do they prefer versatility?

*Most* universities will only look for biol, chem and maths as fundamentals and then just look for a good mark in a 4th a level. As for that 4th - a few take the view "the more sciences the better!" and would perhaps slightly favour physics or further maths. A few take the view of versatility and slightly favour English Lit/ History/ Geography/ a language/ economics.

In all honesty, for almost all universities, the 4th subject doesn't matter too much. Whatever you decide will not put you at a large advantage or disadvantage - so long as the subject is viewed as "traditional" or "hard" (I wouldn't do sociology for this reason). So the best advice I can give it just do whatever 4th subject you'd enjoy the most/ find easiest/ find most interesting.

student.uk
hi
i was wondering whether a levels in maths, physics, chemistry, psychology, english and spanish could give me the best chance subjectwise to get a place at a top uni, perhaps to study something on the lines of chemical engineering or aerospace engineering??
thanks

Maths, physics, chemistry and English (Lit) will give you a huge amount of options for courses. Spanish is good for arts courses and Modern foreign languages. Psychology is slightly more limiting in terms of facilitating courses at uni. I think 6 as levels is too much - I'd advise you to drop one or two.

If you're looking specifically at types of engineering (chem or aerospace) then you should definitely look into doing further maths A level. The top unis will ask for further maths A level in all likelihood. The typical engineering student would have done maths/ further maths/ physics/ chemistry A levels. If you're pretty sure about going into engineering, I would advise you to do those or something very similar.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2924
Original post by student.uk
hi
i was wondering whether a levels in maths, physics, chemistry, psychology, english and spanish could give me the best chance subjectwise to get a place at a top uni, perhaps to study something on the lines of chemical engineering or aerospace engineering??
thanks

i would only recommend for you to take only 4 as levels.

Original post by Dannyboy1236

So you think without maths I'll be disadvantaged? Anyway what are you planning on doing at Uni?

Yeah....I want to take it because it'll be a break from the constant sciencey and maths stuff- even geography is linked to science. I thought it'd be a nice change to analyse some poetry after learning a bodily process in biology. And that I couldn't bear doing physics.

Well....I'm still in yr 10 (thought I should start thinking early..) so I only know that I have an A* in maths and I got an A* in 20% of my english......awaiting science results in march but in class and stuff I'm working at around A's/A*s....maybe slightly less in one of my languages. Is that good enough for medicine?

Another thing....I've been thinking about it lately..but if I end up getting an A on the first 25% of my biology and chemistry would it be wrong of me to want to retake to achieve an A*

you will be disadvantaged because you aren't able to apply to all med schools. on tsr there's a list of all the med school and what subjects they require i would recommednlooking at that.

Original post by Mohil

a langauge would be most beneficial but take what you enjoy and will do best in.

Here's the thing about the maths/ medicine relationship. Medical courses require a lot of mathematical analysis (especially in statistics) and if you don't do A level maths you will struggle. Maths A level also shows good analytical and logical skills that medical courses look for. Maths A level is also very helpful for chemistry and physics A levels. Reading between the lines states that maths is pretty much required for medicine almost everywhere. It is very rare to receive an offer without maths in the same way it is very rare to receive an offer without Biology.
hi,
i want to choose Philosophy, Physics, Politics but i dont know what my last subject should be. either English Literature or Psychology. i have been told by alot of people that i am a English Literature sort of person and i do enjoy reading, however i dont think ill be able to handle the work rate. i am Predicted A's throughout all my subjects at GCSE. i think Psychology may go better with the humanities subjects. i am not sure what my career options are at the moment, but it should be along the lines of humanities because i do enjoy subjects like philosophy and politics. i think i would enjoy psychology alot because from the description i find i connect well with it. i just really confused. i am a logical thinker (if that helps) but i am also very creative.
thanks in advance
Reply 2927
Original post by PoeticShoaib
hi,
i want to choose Philosophy, Physics, Politics but i dont know what my last subject should be. either English Literature or Psychology. i have been told by alot of people that i am a English Literature sort of person and i do enjoy reading, however i dont think ill be able to handle the work rate. i am Predicted A's throughout all my subjects at GCSE. i think Psychology may go better with the humanities subjects. i am not sure what my career options are at the moment, but it should be along the lines of humanities because i do enjoy subjects like philosophy and politics. i think i would enjoy psychology alot because from the description i find i connect well with it. i just really confused. i am a logical thinker (if that helps) but i am also very creative.
thanks in advance

English lit is a more respected subject overall but psychology will varied subjects because it's both a science and an essay based subject and I think you said that you will enjoy it more. You have to make the deccision.
Original post by Mohil

Sociology is probably too soft a subject for a medic to do but the other options are fine. I'd recommend languages as they open up options for travel, studying and working abroad and are generally pretty sought after, but if economics really interests you then for it :smile:
Reply 2929
Hi, I really wanted to ask a question which you may think is irrelevant, however I was wondering how University offers work. If I were to do Medicine, and did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics for A-Levels, and I had an offer say A*AA, would it matter if the A* was in Economics despite not being related to the career?
Original post by Mohil
Hi, I really wanted to ask a question which you may think is irrelevant, however I was wondering how University offers work. If I were to do Medicine, and did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics for A-Levels, and I had an offer say A*AA, would it matter if the A* was in Economics despite not being related to the career?

It depends on the wording of your offer. If they don't specify subjects, that'll be fine, but if they say that the A* has to be in a particular subject then you'll have to meet that requirement too.

i think you would be at a slight disadvantage yes. those grades are superb :smile: i wish i had thought about the future early on like you are :smile: A's/A* are medicine applicant material indeed. theres nothing wrong with retaking. just dnt let it effect your other exams :smile: im planning on applying for Biochemistry or Chemistry in September this year :smile:( Im In my AS year). once you get to A-Level make sure you dont let your guard down, the exams come very quick at A level so lots of independent study is needed( though not too much as you need to have a life aswell XD) i personaly hate independent study( unless its chemistry :biggrin:) so i compensate by going to after college revision sessions. Goodluck though from the grades your geting it sounds like you wont need it :smile:
Should I take English or History. I've decided on Physics, Maths (and further maths) Latin and then my last option is between History and English. The problem is, I enjoy both! And I don't know what career I would like, but is it a valid argument to say that by not doing English (literature) a level, I am excluding myself from more uni courses or careers than would be the case for not doing History? Also, could it be argued that English is better because it provides a bigger contrast between my other options, as English is much more subjective, as opposed to the logical thinking required by physics maths and Latin?
*english or history?
Reply 2934
^History in my opinion :smile:
Original post by ak2109
^History in my opinion :smile:

Haha thaanks :smile:
Reply 2936
Original post by Physics96
Haha thaanks :smile:

It depends if you want to do an essay based subject at uni that's not history do eng lit but if you are interested in history, politics or economics at uni do history.
Reply 2937
I want a career in finance/ Investment Banking. I going to take Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Is this suitable ?
Reply 2938
Original post by JoeFo
I want a career in finance/ Investment Banking. I going to take Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Is this suitable ?

Yes perfect. But choose subjects you enjoy not what you think is most suitable. Because it is most important to get high grades for ib.
I'm thinking of taking: English Lit, Biology, History and Maths

I'm interested in doing a Bachelor of Education in order to become a Primary School Teacher when I'm finished sixth form.

How do these options sound? :smile: