The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How can people think homosexuality is a choice?

Scroll to see replies

I'm an atheist so (happily) no longer have to have these sorts of arguments with most people. However, I'm going to give my most Christian-friendly response. The sort of things I used to say before I questioned my faith.

I will say, if you believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible then a) good luck working that out, and b) yes, you are going against your religion by supporting gay rights.

However, most reasonable Christians acknowledge that a lot of the Bible is allegorical and some of it (like the creation story) should not be taken literally. They will also often use the (fairly valid) argument that Jesus fulfilled the laws of the Old Testament and effectively rewrote them with 'Love God and love others' (obviously paraphrasing), which is why they don't follow kosher laws and things like that. This would make the Sodom and Gomorrah argument, as well as the Leviticus argument, irrelevant.

Being even more broad with their understanding, clever Christians (in my opinion) will also acknowledge that the Bible was not written by God. It was written by fallible humans who, even if they didn't intend to, wrote their own meanings into the text. For example, my mother is a Catholic yet believes that Paul was a sexist and thus doesn't like some of his teachings and does not treat them as divine.

Think about the time these people lived in, and the fact that their main aim was conversion. Nowadays, politicians are probably the most ambitious to convert people; people ask them difficult questions, and they try their hardest to make their policies reflect what most people already believe or want. If you were Paul, trying to convert Romans (mainly Jewish Romans who were strongly against homosexuality) to Christianity, you would almost definitely claim that they could follow Christ and still keep the morals they were brought up with. To be honest, I'm surprised there aren't more anti-gay passages in the Bible, and the fact that there aren't makes me think Jesus probably said sod all on the matter.

Even now I'm an atheist, I think the sort of Christianity God would be most happy with is liberal Christianity. The ten Commandments are pretty sound, so is 'Love thy neighbour', so why not just follow the general jist of peace, faith, love and truth? It seems so pointless to argue over the nitty gritty of anything when it causes so much conflict.

EDIT: To relate this back to the original point, I don't believe people choose to be gay but, even if they do, the above reasons mean you can still support them and be a good Christian regardless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by adamrules247
I doubt very few Christians would try and claim that homosexual urges are a choice but they'd argue that homosexual actions are a choice (in which they are technically correct).

Original post by SoberFox
I doubt you have any data to support this.

Well it's the official teaching of the Roman Catholic CHurch that makes up over half of all of Christianity and also the teaching of the Eastern Orthodox Churches which make up the next largest group. On those figures alone my point is proved correct. My point would better be put as a minority of Christians believe that homosexual urges are a choice but my point still stands.

I don't know why so many people have a problem with this stance... they seem to think differentiating between act and desire is somehow problematic?

Original post by ThePhilosoraptor
If you are Catholic you will no doubt be familiar with the words ot the Catechism of the Catholic Church on this matter;

CCC 2358: "The number of men and women who have deep seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible... They must be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfil God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition."

The Catholic Church does teach that homosexuality is not a sin in itself, however it holds a position that views acting on an innate homosexual desire as sinful. (If for no other reason than because all sex outside of marriage is sinful and homosexual marriage is not possible within the Catholic church)

Let's not forget that sexual identities didn't really exist until the mid nineteenth century (Foucault, History of Sexualit vol. 1, 1979) when psycho-analysis started to categorise people based on their desires. Up until that point sex was an action - not a desire which would be pathologised and studied. So any analysis before these categories - and thus ways of understanding behaviour - were introduced is historically invalid. (As is the claim that there have been homosexuals throughout history; depending upon time and culture people would have viewed their acts entirely differently. The Greeks, for example, did not regard sexual attraction between men as homosexual but as pedagogical and would have resented the implications of us foisting our understanding upon them)
Reply 382
I don't know why so many people have a problem with this stance... they seem to think differentiating between act and desire is somehow problematic?

The Catholic Church does teach that homosexuality is not a sin in itself, however it holds a position that views acting on an innate homosexual desire as sinful. (If for no other reason than because all sex outside of marriage is sinful and homosexual marriage is not possible within the Catholic church)

Let's not forget that sexual identities didn't really exist until the mid nineteenth century (Foucault, History of Sexualit vol. 1, 1979) when psycho-analysis started to categorise people based on their desires. Up until that point sex was an action - not a desire which would be pathologised and studied. So any analysis before these categories - and thus ways of understanding behaviour - were introduced is historically invalid. (As is the claim that there have been homosexuals throughout history; depending upon time and culture people would have viewed their acts entirely differently. The Greeks, for example, did not regard sexual attraction between men as homosexual but as pedagogical and would have resented the implications of us foisting our understanding upon them)

Please do not quote me unless you have actually read what I wrote. Nowhere did I claim that regarding homosexual acts but not desires as "sinful" is problematic. His line of argument however that what the Catholic and the Orthodox Churches teach is what their followers actually believe is completely false as I have demonstrated in my reply to him.
The thing that upsets me is why do people care why someone is gay...who is the gay person hurting??
Argh it's like the Muslim guy who was arrested for preaching homophobic cr*p...why was he so bothered??? If he doesn't like homosexuality then he should make sure he doesn't sleep with men and tada move on with his life.
I'm Muslim myself, Im not affected by homosexuality in anyway. Live and let live. And nowhere in the Quran does it give a punishment for homosexuality. Only says that it's not right and that people should repent that's all. Doesn't say that all Muslims should make it their business to go around judging and condemning people.
So to sum up:

1. The Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church do not teach that homosexuality is a choice.
2. Catholics and Orthodox Christians make the majority of Christians.
3. 100% of the Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe whatever their Churches teach.
Therefore the majority of Christians do not believe that homosexuality is a choice.
Therefore only a minority of Christians believe that homosexuality is a choice.

I deny that point 3 is correct. In fact, the majority of Catholics do not really believe in the official teachings of the Church. They do not, for example, regard homosexual acts as sinful. 56% of American Catholics belive that homosexual relations are not sinful. Is that the "official teaching" of the Church?

And since when was the American Catholic Church the be all and end all. And by the way, most of those Catholics believe that because they mistakenly think the Church doesn't teach what it teaches (bad Catechises), therefore you really can't count them. Secondly, the Catholic Church isn't a democracy. Thirdly in the areas where Catholicism is growing (Africa, Asia, Latin America) you will find that these teachings are applied to. Young Catholics, the future of the Church, believe these teachings far more than their parents did.
Please do not quote me unless you have actually read what I wrote. Nowhere did I claim that regarding homosexual acts but not desires as "sinful" is problematic. His line of argument however that what the Catholic and the Orthodox Churches teach is what their followers actually believe is completely false as I have demonstrated in my reply to him.

His line of argument was nothing of the sort. The argument ran that few christians would say homosexuality is a choice even if to act on it is. The supporting data was Catholic Catechesis.

Your line of argument is that if the membership of the church does not believe the teaching then it does not hold - but by that logic surely we have to admit the rightness of more extreme views (such as the one that homosexuality can be cured) based on the number of adherents?

Either a view is inherently right or wrong, or it's value is determined democratically. Personally I'm not fussed which it is, but I think it makes for clearer argument if we stick to one way of evaluating these ideas.
Reply 386
And since when was the American Catholic Church the be all and end all. And by the way, most of those Catholics believe that because they mistakenly think the Church doesn't teach what it teaches (bad Catechises), therefore you really can't count them. Secondly, the Catholic Church isn't a democracy. Thirdly in the areas where Catholicism is growing (Africa, Asia, Latin America) you will find that these teachings are applied to. Young Catholics, the future of the Church, believe these teachings far more than their parents did.

Now ofc you're changing the subject.

Here's what you said earlier in response to my query whether you had any data to support the notion that most Christians do not believe that homosexuality is a choice.

Well it's the official teaching of the Roman Catholic CHurch that makes up over half of all of Christianity and also the teaching of the Eastern Orthodox Churches which make up the next largest group. On those figures alone my point is proved correct. My point would better be put as a minority of Christians believe that homosexual urges are a choice but my point still stands.

You didn't distinguish between knowledgeable Catholics and ignorant ones. So to include them now is to acknowledge my point. It does not follow that because the two largest Churches hold a certain view that their followers also hold this view. Which is really what you said above. I am not sure why you think this is a point in your favour.

American Catholics are not the be all and end all. I was simply pointing out that, again, you were including them in your statistics.

I fail to see how the Catholic Church not being a democracy is relevant to my view. Perhaps you can explain.

Regarding the developing areas and their relationship to Catholicism. Maybe that's right, maybe not, it still does not lend support to your earlier point which was that you knew most Christians do not think homosexuality is a choice because most Christians are Catholics/Orthodox and these two Churches teach that homosexuality is not a choice.

As I said this does not follow. Maybe most Christians believe that but not because of the Church's teachings.

To be clear: I was simply asking for data. I do not take either view but your argument was fallacious.
Reply 387
His line of argument was nothing of the sort. The argument ran that few christians would say homosexuality is a choice even if to act on it is. The supporting data was Catholic Catechesis.

Your line of argument is that if the membership of the church does not believe the teaching then it does not hold - but by that logic surely we have to admit the rightness of more extreme views (such as the one that homosexuality can be cured) based on the number of adherents?

Show me where I said that. You really didn't read my post. In fact, I never claimed that.

And no his argument was that most Christians believe homosexuality (yes homosexual desires) not to be a choice cos their Churches teach that homosexuality is not a choice & most Christians are either Catholic or Orthodox.

What I said was that this simply does not follow. For a whole bunch of reasons, Catholics may believe different things. He even said it himself. Catholics can be ignorant of the Church's teachings and so they may support different views that are contrary to the official teachings of the Church they belong. E.g. Most American Catholics (54%) do not believe that homosexual acts are sinful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Now ofc you're changing the subject.
But I'm not.

Here's what you said earlier in response to my query whether you had any data to support the notion that most Christians do not believe that homosexuality is a choice.

But they're views have no impact. They may not follow the rules but they're still the blasted rules.

You didn't distinguish between knowledgeable Catholics and ignorant ones

Well actually there's three groups, not two as you claim. There's orthodox Catholics (those who know and follow teaching), ignorant Catholics (those who don't know and don't follow teaching), and heretics (those who know and don't follow teaching). Seeing as the largest are the first two and the latter of those two is only that way because of lack of knowledge rather than any free will choice my point stands.

American Catholics are not the be all and end all. I was simply pointing out that, again, you were including them in your statistics.

And I was right to do so.

I fail to see how the Catholic Church not being a democracy is relevant to my view. Perhaps you can explain.

Because those doctorines and dogma don't change because of public opinion. The funny thing is that recent events in the USA illistrate my point perfectly.

Regarding the developing areas and their relationship to Catholicism. Maybe that's right, maybe not

I am.
, it still does not lend support to your earlier point which was that you knew most Christians do not think homosexuality is a choice because most Christians are Catholics/Orthodox and these two Churches teach that homosexuality is not a choice.

Well it does somewhat. That's the point, the issue is of knowing, as opposed to not knowing. And anyway, if you want to take it back to it's original points and not include the ignorant or heretical Catholics who are not opposed to SSRs then the point still stands that of those Christians opposed to homosexual relations will be for those reasons and not the ignorant ones you gave.

The simple fact is is that you're wrong. Stop trying to find problems and holes where there aren't any. Now I suggest we leave it there.
Reply 389
adamrules247

But they're views have no impact. They may not follow the rules but they're still the blasted rules.

Huh?

Well actually there's three groups, not two as you claim. There's orthodox Catholics (those who know and follow teaching), ignorant Catholics (those who don't know and don't follow teaching), and heretics (those who know and don't follow teaching). Seeing as the largest are the first two and the latter of those two is only that way because of lack of knowledge rather than any free will choice my point stands.

I didn't claim anything. You put this point forward. You can distinguish between as many groups as you like, I fail to see how this is relevant.

Because those doctorines and dogma don't change because of public opinion. The funny thing is that recent events in the USA illistrate my point perfectly.

Where did I say that dogma changes because of public opinion?

Well it does somewhat. That's the point, the issue is of knowing, as opposed to not knowing. And anyway, if you want to take it back to it's original points and not include the ignorant or heretical Catholics who are not opposed to SSRs then the point still stands that of those Christians opposed to homosexual relations will be for those reasons and not the ignorant ones you gave.

Again, I didn't give any reasons. You did.
Show me where I said that. You really didn't read my post. In fact, I never claimed that.

And no his argument was that most Christians believe homosexuality (yes homosexual desires) not to be a choice cos their Churches teach that homosexuality is not a choice & most Christians are either Catholic or Orthodox.

What I said was that this simply does not follow. For a whole bunch of reasons, Catholics may believe different things. He even said it himself. Catholics can be ignorant of the Church's teachings and so they may support different views that are contrary to the official teachings of the Church they belong. E.g. Most American Catholics (54%) do not believe that homosexual acts are sinful.

If you would like me to extend a charitable reading of your arguments, perhaps you would do the same for Adam?

You oversimplify his argument - completely ignoring the distinction drawn between desires and acts - and also miss the salient point (which I feel must be deliberate); that the largest Christian Churches all adopt the same stance and it is only a few extreme sects who believe homosexuality is a choice or that it can be cured.
Original post by DYKWIA
There's a difference though. Religion education is about making people aware of religion. We are already aware of homosexuality, we don't need to be told how we should feel about it.

Do people really need to be told that Muslims exist? I imagine it would be a piss take when there is a sizeable number of Muslims in some towns and cities like Slough and Bradford. Most, if not all, RE classes teach the mainstream religions. They never teach the smaller sized ones, like Buddhism, Jainism, Druidism etc. And they never teach philosophy in schools the way they teach religion. It's just one way of teaching everyone about the mainstream faiths.
Reply 392
If you would like me to extend a charitable reading of your arguments, perhaps you would do the same for Adam?

You oversimplify his argument - completely ignoring the distinction drawn between desires and acts - and also miss the salient point (which I feel must be deliberate); that the largest Christian Churches all adopt the same stance and it is only a few extreme sects who believe homosexuality is a choice or that it can be cured.

Please quote what I've written and tell me what charitable reading of my arguments are you doing.

I do not ignore the distinction. Again, please quote a single instance where I ignore the distinction between desires and acts. I have used homosexuality to mean homosexual desires and whenever I wanted to refer to acts I explicitly mentioned homosexual acts.

I do not consider myself with what the Church's official dogma is. I accept that the official dogma of the Church (both the Orthodox and the Catholic) is that homosexuality is not a choice. I.e. that homosexual desires are not chosen but that homosexual acts clearly are.

His original argument was that he knew (by inference - i.e. without any actual data) that most Christians believed homosexuality (again, homosexuality = homosexual desires, when I am talking about homosexual acts, I explicitly mention the word "act") not to be a choice because most Christians are Catholics or Orthodox and the Catholic & Orthodox Churches teach that view (that homosexuality is not chosen).

My view was that you can't make that inference. Just because the official teachings of the the largest Churches are that homosexual desires are not chosen, you can't infer that most Christians followers of these churches believe that (which is what his original argument was). I gave an example of American Catholics not believing that homosexual acts are sinful (54% of them don't) when the official dogma is that they are. If he was correct, this shouldn't have been the case.

He tried, for reasons I can't quite understand, to say that I said or even implied that this means that somehow the Church dogma has changed. I just don't know what does that have to do with what we were discussing. Namely, what Christians, Catholics and Orthodox, believe. Completely independent questions which I didn't try to connect. In a word, he's strawmaning me to feel good about himself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 393
Original post by Gales
I'm happy to hear that, it means you'll never live in the UK. Happy days! :biggrin: :woo:

This honestly just mde my day
Please quote what I've written and tell me what charitable reading of my arguments are you doing.

His original argument was that he knew (by inference - i.e. without any actual data) that most Christians believed homosexuality (again, homosexuality = homosexual desires, when I am talking about homosexual acts, I explicitly mention the word "act&quot:wink: not to be a choice because most Christians are Catholics or Orthodox and the Catholic & Orthodox Churches teach that view (that homosexuality is not chosen).

My view was that you can't make that inference. Just because the official teachings of the the largest Churches are that homosexual desires are not chosen, you can't infer that most Christians followers of these churches believe that (which is what his original argument was). I gave an example of American Catholics not believing that homosexual acts are sinful (54% of them don't) when the official dogma is that they are. If he was correct, this shouldn't have been the case.

He tried, for reasons I can't quite understand, to say that I said or even implied that this means that somehow the Church dogma has changed. I just don't know what does that have to do with what we were discussing. Namely, what Christians, Catholics and Orthodox, believe. Completely independent questions which I didn't try to connect. In a word, he's strawmaning me to feel good about himself.

His original argument was this:

I doubt very few Christians would try and claim that homosexual urges are a choice but they'd argue that homosexual actions are a choice (in which they are technically correct).

Everything else, whether these doctrines are universally held, whether that affects their validity etc. is superfluous to his argument.

So to sum up:

1. The Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church do not teach that homosexuality is a choice.
2. Catholics and Orthodox Christians make the majority of Christians.
3. 100% of the Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe whatever their Churches teach.
Therefore the majority of Christians do not believe that homosexuality is a choice.
Therefore only a minority of Christians believe that homosexuality is a choice.

I deny that point 3 is correct. In fact, the majority of Catholics do not really believe in the official teachings of the Church. They do not, for example, regard homosexual acts as sinful. 56% of American Catholics belive that homosexual relations are not sinful. Is that the "official teaching" of the Church?

Point 3 appears to be your sticking point, and yet nobody has claimed this apart from you (If I might be so bold - find me the quote where anybody makes the claim that that is the case or that Adam's point depends on universal adherence). The simple fact is that no data exists on this subject for most of the Catholic world because it is only in Europe and America that Liberal Catholicism has any theological influence. In the rest of the world the Catechesis is more strict and disagreeing with the church is not an option.

Try finding a copy of Kaufman's "Why you can disagree and remain a faithful Catholic" in Spanish or Filipino :wink:
Reply 395

Point 3 appears to be your sticking point, and yet nobody has claimed this apart from you (If I might be so bold - find me the quote where anybody makes the claim that that is the case or that Adam's point depends on universal adherence). The simple fact is that no data exists on this subject for most of the Catholic world because it is only in Europe and America that Liberal Catholicism has any theological influence. In the rest of the world the Catechesis is more strict and disagreeing with the church is not an option.

Yes he did kind of make that point. He says
the official teaching of the Roman Catholic CHurch that makes up over half of all of Christianity and also the teaching of the Eastern Orthodox Churches which make up the next largest group

If he doesn't think that 100% of the people included in these groups believe what their Churches tell them (and especially regarding homosexuality) then he can't claim that "only a minority of Christians believe that homosexual urges are a choice". What if 60% of the Catholics disagree with their Church on the matter of homosexual desires being chosen? I already mentioned almost 40 million Catholics (the Americans) who do not agree with the official teachings of the Church with respect to homosexual acts being sinful. I dunno which other group does not and that's why I want to see the numbers. Not assertions. That's what I asked him in my first post (although admittedly not in the most polite way possible) and that's why I asked him again later on adding that:

To be clear: I was simply asking for data. I do not take either view but your argument was fallacious.

Try finding a copy of Kaufman's "Why you can disagree and remain a faithful Catholic" in Spanish or Filipino

I do not think that those Catholics who disagree with the Catholic Church are not Catholic. What does this have to do with anything?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 396

Try finding a copy of Kaufman's "Why you can disagree and remain a faithful Catholic" in Spanish or Filipino :wink:

I wonder if you saw this video;
MSNBC says Catholics Support Gays and Lesbians
[video="youtube;eCA5OB37yEY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCA5OB37yEY[/video]

(I sort of assume people have seen this as I've posted it on a couple of threads over the last few weeks)

You also said the main sticking point might be item 3 "3. 100% of the Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe whatever their Churches teach." which is clearly nonsense when you've looked at the polling data, and some of the most radical is contained in that video.

They have a relationship with God, they use the church for community and as a public show of their faith, but aren't dumb enough to believe everything that is taught.

Now, one quick bit of poll data, just as a teaser.

Most UK Catholics support abortion and use of contraception
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/most-uk-catholics-support-abortion-and-use-of-contraception-2083291.html

Here's another
Majority of American Catholics support transgender rights
http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/majority-american-catholics-support-transgender-rights

Survey: Most US Catholics support gay rights
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/03/24/survey-most-us-catholics-support-gay-rights/

If you look at Evangelical Christians, a poll of 17,000 for the Evangelical Alliance.
http://www.eauk.org/snapshot/21st-century-evangelicals.cfm
said that majority of Evangelical Christians did not think homosexual feelings were wrong.

Some of this stuff is pretty surprising really - it's not at all like the impression some people try to give of religious followers hating all gay people.:smile:

ps. Nearly forgot, when you said "In the rest of the world the Catechesis is more strict and disagreeing with the church is not an option.", how does this relate to Brazil ? Strongly Catholic, but very tolerant of people who are gay as a society.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA
I hope PA never legalizes it. If they do I'll move to Texas or the south pole.

The poor gay penguins. :frown:
Reply 398
Original post by The Socktor
The poor gay penguins. :frown:

Indeed, but is it selfish that I'd much rather the penguins suffer than have him move to the UK and I'd be in the same country?
Original post by Jester94
Indeed, but is it selfish that I'd much rather the penguins suffer than have him move to the UK and I'd be in the same country?

Well, he wouldn't be able to vote here. Since there's hardly anybody living on the South Pole, he'd have a lot of power.

Latest

Trending

Trending