University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Beano
You'll love the lawns, but soon you'll hate the lawns food :smile:

Haha is the food that bad? ideally i want to be self catered but from the looks its just hope for the best when applying. What sort of food is it normally?
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by Cwhitwham
I see, well that's alright then haha. I probably will end up firming Hull :smile:

Yeah me too, went on Saturday and loved it :biggrin: What course (probably already asked you but i have a memory like a sieve :tongue: )
Original post by dbrad86
Had an unconditional from Hull and after seeing it on Saturday I absolutely love it!! So I've accepted my place there. Now just to wait for the accommodation applications to become available! Where is everyone hoping to get into? I'm hoping to get into The Lawns...want to get to know some people before September if possible!

I'm got a conditional offer from Hull for Psychology, and I'd like to be at the Lawns too! I'm going to accept it soon, I got my last offer today. :biggrin: I'm definitely firming Hull though, great course and I love it. I'm actually going down again a week on Saturday, I can't wait! :biggrin:
Reply 243
Original post by DoubleNegative
I'm got a conditional offer from Hull for Psychology, and I'd like to be at the Lawns too! I'm going to accept it soon, I got my last offer today. :biggrin: I'm definitely firming Hull though, great course and I love it. I'm actually going down again a week on Saturday, I can't wait! :biggrin:

Congrats :smile: Lawns definitely sounds like the best place to be. Are you from around the area originally? I want to go back and have another look around already haha or simply move in early!
Reply 244
Original post by dbrad86
Haha is the food that bad? ideally i want to be self catered but from the looks its just hope for the best when applying. What sort of food is it normally?

Chips all the time, and usually soggy ones. Then again, they are catering for ~700 people, so it isn't always going to be top notch.

There is an onsite pub there which is open until 11 each night and has live sports, cheap booze and decent staff as well as the usual quizzes and what-not.

The place is a 20 minute walk from Cottingham village center which has a very useful Heron food.

There is a good selection of fast food places nearby, and there is a place called "Ginos" which is where you want to go for pizza (better and cheaper than dominoes) and another place named "Kismet" where you will want to go for anything else.

Large playing fields are good enough for a kickabout when the weather is good.

The bus service will quickly cause the red mist to descend soon enough, as buses wait literally a stones throw away from the bus stop in the Lawns car park, I have seen four waiting there simultaneously, whilst there was a large congregation of students waiting to get to lectures.
Original post by dbrad86
Congrats :smile: Lawns definitely sounds like the best place to be. Are you from around the area originally? I want to go back and have another look around already haha or simply move in early!

Yeah, it does, but I really don't like the idea of catered accommodation, so it's - hopefully - Nicholson for me! I'll be applying as soon as I get to a computer. XD
No, I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne, so about a three hour drive away. You? :smile:
Gah, I know right?? I know where I want to go, I just want to get there now! Bring on September. :biggrin:
Reply 246
Original post by SpecialApple
Yeah me too, went on Saturday and loved it :biggrin: What course (probably already asked you but i have a memory like a sieve :tongue: )

Ah awesome, I go down in 3 weeks can't wait :smile:
Geography BSc is the course I applied for, how about you? My memory sucks too.
Reply 247
Original post by dbrad86
Had an unconditional from Hull and after seeing it on Saturday I absolutely love it!! So I've accepted my place there. Now just to wait for the accommodation applications to become available! Where is everyone hoping to get into? I'm hoping to get into The Lawns...want to get to know some people before September if possible!

Hey, do you know how soon you can apply for Lawns after accepting the offer?
Original post by Cwhitwham
Ah awesome, I go down in 3 weeks can't wait :smile:
Geography BSc is the course I applied for, how about you? My memory sucks too.

Yeah I'm Geography BSc too! You'll love it, promise, sooo good :biggrin: x
Reply 249
Original post by Beano
Chips all the time, and usually soggy ones. Then again, they are catering for ~700 people, so it isn't always going to be top notch.

There is an onsite pub there which is open until 11 each night and has live sports, cheap booze and decent staff as well as the usual quizzes and what-not.

The place is a 20 minute walk from Cottingham village center which has a very useful Heron food.

There is a good selection of fast food places nearby, and there is a place called "Ginos" which is where you want to go for pizza (better and cheaper than dominoes) and another place named "Kismet" where you will want to go for anything else.

Large playing fields are good enough for a kickabout when the weather is good.

The bus service will quickly cause the red mist to descend soon enough, as buses wait literally a stones throw away from the bus stop in the Lawns car park, I have seen four waiting there simultaneously, whilst there was a large congregation of students waiting to get to lectures.

Sounds like something to avoid then! hope i get into self catering! the rest sounds pretty good though, maybe apart from the bus service! but i'll be taking my car and bike anyway so always other options of getting in, depending on how much of a rush i'm in
Reply 250

Original post by DoubleNegative
Yeah, it does, but I really don't like the idea of catered accommodation, so it's - hopefully - Nicholson for me! I'll be applying as soon as I get to a computer. XD
No, I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne, so about a three hour drive away. You? :smile:
Gah, I know right?? I know where I want to go, I just want to get there now! Bring on September. :biggrin:

Nah i'd prefer to be self catered too, don't like the idea of awful canteen food, so i'm hoping to get into nicholson too!! so fingers crossed!!

I'm from Southampton so slightly further away at about 4 hours. Haha i know! september seems like such a long way away!!
Reply 251
Original post by Alexwalsh
Hey, do you know how soon you can apply for Lawns after accepting the offer?

From what i hear application process for accommodation starts in may sometime. Have you firmed Hull?
chosen hull as my firm and i'm going there for the first time next month eeeeeeeeee i hope i like it! does anyone know when they're gonna put up the updated accommodation prices? i assume they'll go way up from last year, and i wanna know if i can afford en suite! xxoxo
Reply 253
Original post by EmmaStokess
chosen hull as my firm and i'm going there for the first time next month eeeeeeeeee i hope i like it! does anyone know when they're gonna put up the updated accommodation prices? i assume they'll go way up from last year, and i wanna know if i can afford en suite! xxoxo

Yaaay for Hull :smile: You'll love it!! i went there a couple of weeks ago for the first time and i didn't want to leave!! was dragged away kicking and screaming! lol i've been wondering if they'd update their accommodation information but i do believe there is an email on there that you can send any questions to...? i hope they dont go up much!! can't see why they would tbh
Reply 254
Heron foods is the best... there's one in cottingham where the halls are and one near the uni. so cheap...
24 jaffa cakes for a pound is what I pretty much live in :coma:
Reply 255
Original post by dbrad86
From what i hear application process for accommodation starts in may sometime. Have you firmed Hull?

Oh, that's okay then, was getting worried people had already applied so there would be less choices when i come to do it. Yep i have, have you?
Reply 256
Original post by Alexwalsh
Oh, that's okay then, was getting worried people had already applied so there would be less choices when i come to do it. Yep i have, have you?

Yeah, instead get to enjoy the mad rush! hope to get where i want as from the sound most people want to stay in the lawns! Yeah I have, have you got any sort of confirmation from Hull about firming it? As I haven't and did it two weeks ago!
Original post by dbrad86

Nah i'd prefer to be self catered too, don't like the idea of awful canteen food, so i'm hoping to get into nicholson too!! so fingers crossed!!

I'm from Southampton so slightly further away at about 4 hours. Haha i know! september seems like such a long way away!!

Haha, if we both get in, we might end up on the same floor. :tongue:
That's not toooo bad. Hull's just over half way to Newcastle for you. :smile: I went down again today, I absolutely loved it. It made me want to not go home. XD I seriously can't wait, but I bet it'll fly. :^_^:
Reply 258
I went to the American Studies applicant day yesterday. I went there thinking American Studies was at the bottom of my list but now I'm genuinely considering firming it above Nottingham and York... the people were friendly, the course actually sounds very very interesting (and appeals to all of my A Levels: History, English Literature, Art) and I've come away entirely enthused.

The guy who lead the talks (I believe his name is David Eldridge, though the students we spoke to refer to him as Dave) actually already knew all of our names and what subjects we were taking and could even recall what one guy wrote about specifically in his personal statement. It seems like a simple thing but it's surprisingly impressive and made me feel much more welcome. It is unsurprising that American Studies at Hull has a 100% student satisfaction rating (:
Just got back from my weekend trip for the open day. I loved every moment of it :smile: I'm definitely going to firm Hull :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest