The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2800
Original post by Tabris
But worth watching for this:

Spoiler

For me the best part is the absolutely hilarious deaths - umbrellas! lifts! comedy heart-attacks! NO ONE IS SAFE from their wrath! :giggle:
Reply 2801
Original post by QHF
I'm not quite sure how 'she's a magical girl who sets herself on fire while transforming' got past whoever at Toei is in charge of checking that their stuff is appropriate for kids, but I'm glad it did.

Didn't you hear? Self-immolation is all the rage with kids nowadays.
I watched Garzey's Wing. Yeah. Also the Eve no Jikan movie - I'd already seen the series, and the movie was just a compilation (with a few extra scenes I think?), but I was watching it with friends. Just as good second time around. :yes:

I was at the Telford Expo yesterday (can't remember if I even mentioned I was going beforehand, I'd been thinking more about the course I'm due to start on Monday :o:). I went there hoping to start some new manga series, since so many of the ones I was reading have either ended, been dropped by their publisher, or I'm simply up to date with them. Instead, I got the final volumes of Zombie Loan and xxxHOLiC... leaving me with even less series on the go. :giggle: Two volumes of Ribbon no Kishi (Princess Knight) as well, but that's only two volumes long to begin with (at least VERTICAL's version is, apparently this manga has been remade half a dozen times with various lengths :p:).

Anime-wise, I bought the Tower of Druaga box set, which includes both Aegis of Uruk and Sword of Uruk, neither of which I've seen before.

Finally, figurines. I picked up a mini Sasaki Makie (Negima), but more importantly, I am now the proud owner of the Nanael (Queen's Blade) Revoltech figurine. :awesome: Blue-haired, of course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2803
Might as well address my thoughts on what I'm currently watching as it's been a while. I'll try to keep this relatively succinct. :tongue:

Ano Natsu de Matteru is proving reasonably enjoyable. With an anime like this, you need to put aside any expectation for originality and to simply appreciate it for what it is, a nicely animated romance that stays true to its genre and all of the motifs that come with that. There's not much more I can really say about this one, only that it's easy viewing after a busy day at work.

Area no Kishi is focusing less on the character's personal lives and more on the football, which is fine as we've had the big revelation already that will establish the premise moving forward. However, I can't say I'm eager to watch the next episode like I was a few weeks back, so I hope they'll maintain the balance of interesting character study (which is what I enjoy more) and the football, as opposed to focusing solely on the latter to the point where there's not much time for the former.

Bakuman S2 has had its ups and downs. While I enjoy watching the anime still, it's becoming slightly repetitive seeing the same thing over and over. There's only so many 'editor meetings' and 'ranking/rating expectations' I can take. This was my concern originally with the series and why I feel the romance helps to provide some balance and character development that, like Area no Kishi with football, the manga industry can't as well. Furthermore, I think it would be a lot more interesting if they went into the intricacies of their manga such as the art style or the plot. As it stands, the manga content is often ignored in favour of the industry itself, which is ok, but as mentioned, attending meetings with your editor and/or waiting for another serialisation (which loses its impact when it's already happened before) is somewhat tedious. Nonetheless, it's not like I'm not enjoying it, I just hope they'll offer something new in the coming episodes.

I put Black Rock Shooter on the back burner without even giving it a try until now, and I'm so thankful that I did as the first episode was considerably better than I anticipated. Everything from the animation style to the suspenseful scripting has really impressed me, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take this. This might well prove to one of the best offerings of the season.

Brave 10 is pretty average and I can't say I'm, for the lack of a better and less indelicate word, gagging to watch the next episode. It's ok in a very episodic way, but lacks an engaging narrative. I'll keep with it for the time being.

Guilty Crown is an absolute train wreck. Just as I thought it was getting better, they've messed everything up again. The remaining characters are just not that likeable anymore, not that they were especially to begin with. Nonetheless, unlike a few anime above, I'm intrigued to keep watching now, particularly after the cliffhanger we were given, however ridiculous, in the last episode. It's such a shame because the production for this anime is sublime, animation and soundtrack. It baffles the mind that with such a hefty budget, you'd get such flimsy script writing. Then again, we are talking about the same people behind Code Geass R2.

High School DxD is the most shameless anime airing this season. It's the 'junk food' offering. I gave it credit initially for offering an actual premise of promise, but the actual antics that have ensued from episode to episode are so shallow and limiting that you can't really take this anime seriously at all. It doesn't help that the main character's perversion is so explicit to the point where he openly expresses it with pride.

Despite the lukewarm start of Last Exile S2, it has gotten progressively better (although not exactly great) in the last few episodes. The production is pretty decent, barring the slight disparity between the 2D and 3D, nothing of which is too detrimental and can be considered on a positive spin as a stylisation unique to Gonzo. So, yeah, it's pretty good so far. Definitely one of the better anime I'm following at the moment.

Mirai Nikki lacks the suspense of its earlier episodes, particularly regarding a certain yandere (who is still awesome regardless), instead possessing an almost comedic vibe amid the insanity of it all. In this regard, the anime hasn't relented and remains highly entertaining. With the last episode ending on a high, albeit emotional, note, I'm really looking to watching the next episode and can't wait to find out where this ends up.

I'll be completely honest and admit that Naruto is probably my most anticipated series at the moment (yes, even more so than One Piece) despite very little happening each week. Now that we're finally out of the filler (god, that was dreadful), it's highly enjoyable to watch, especially the last few episodes that provided a lot of development in the form of flashbacks.

Similarly, One Piece is expectedly great. While I might not be anticipating the next episode as much as Naruto, it's not far off and the current arc is creative in ways that only this series can achieve.

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!, in a similar vein to Ano Natsu de Matteru, is just very easy viewing. Aside from the big revelation earlier on, the subsequent episodes have been heartwarming, appeasing my maternal side. I consider this to be very much the shounen equivalent of Aishi-teruze Baby, except the main character isn't looking after just a toddler but also two young girls. Nothing much has really happened in terms of plot progression, but the character interactions between the four of them has more than made up for it. I'll admit that I look forward to this a lot more each week than I ever expected to going into it.

Rinne no Lagrange hasn't been able to offer anything too enticing, despite a lot happening. While I welcome a female lead, of whom is pretty likeable, I just can't get into this series that much yet. I'll definitely keep it on as we're still in the early stages of the story, but at present it's lacking something.

That 'something' is definitely there with Senki Zesshou Symphogear. Despite how ridiculous the whole premise is, it's pretty damn good. Like most of the anime cited, it's no Aoi Bungaku, but it remains engaging and has enough depth to keep everything interesting. It's like a fusion of Mai Otome and Puella Magi Madoka Magica (although not remotely as good as the latter).

And lastly, Zero no Tsukaima F... Well, what can I say... It's gotten better with the latest episode. I just hope it takes the time to flesh out the circumstances and that the next episode won't wrap up everything too quickly and revert back to how it was previously, as right now at least there's some potential. It's not great by any stretch, but like quite a few of the above, it's easy to watch without thinking and/or concentrating too much. :tongue:

Edit: I've left out Another, Chihayafuru, Detective Conan, Mouretsu Pirates, Gundam Age, Poyopoyo and Recorder for another time as I've exhausted my inclination to type any more. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2804
Original post by Aiko
Guilty Crown is an absolute train wreck. Just as I thought it was getting better, they've messed everything up again.

This is why I keep watching it.

The writing is just so atrocious and predictable, that like a train wreck, you just can't take your eyes away from it. It's like the sole purpose of the show is to take a big steaming dump on Shu. Like something so bad, its good.

Anyway, time for the new Aquarion.

Edit:

Oh God. That episode. The Go Tight! OP from the first series. Gunbuster references. (no homo) Homolust.

So good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh sweet Jesus... :facepalm2: The spoken english parts in symphogear are literally horrendous. I don't know if it is meant to be cool or for authenticity but neither of those are achieved - in fact, I can hardly understand what they are saying and its... its just awful. Brow-furrowing moment :facepalm2:
Reply 2806
Original post by Facticity
Oh sweet Jesus... :facepalm2: The spoken english parts in symphogear are literally horrendous. I don't know if it is meant to be cool or for authenticity but neither of those are achieved - in fact, I can hardly understand what they are saying and its... its just awful. Brow-furrowing moment :facepalm2:

For someone who is a native of the English language or is fluent, perhaps. :tongue: As the series is intended for a Japanese audience (like all anime), regarding they can identify the language as English, it has achieved its purpose. Most Japanese people, including myself originally, wouldn't be able to tell whether it's spoken properly or not. As we've mentioned before via PM, this is very much inline with Japanese popular culture's usage of English. Another example would be the often ridiculous naming of anime in said language. The language is trendy. :giggle:
just watched ep 71 of hajime no ippo, those 10 mins leading up to the fight was giving me the chills :coma: then boom what a start to the fight :eek2: :sogood:
Reply 2808
As much as I like the new last exile.. this recap ep of the previous series was just the best one yet for me.:mmm: That first opening! :nutcase:
Reply 2809
Original post by vin
As much as I like the new last exile.. this recap ep of the previous series was just the best one yet for me.:mmm: That first opening! :nutcase:

Completely agree - had to put that on my Anime Power Rankings ballot this week - just highlights how superior the cast of the original show was (and that brilliant OP!). This new series is better at world building though - those locations are just glorious!
Original post by vin

Trying to summarize the whole of the original series in 20 minutes, though... it can't have made much sense to anyone who hadn't already seen it. :p:
Reply 2811
Original post by caraniel
Completely agree - had to put that on my Anime Power Rankings ballot this week - just highlights how superior the cast of the original show was (and that brilliant OP!). This new series is better at world building though - those locations are just glorious!

Agreed, but Fam has improved of late in my opinion. Although you could see that the animation has aged, it didn't feel misplaced in comparison with the final scene; a testament to how great the animation was for the first series.

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Trying to summarize the whole of the original series in 20 minutes, though... it can't have made much sense to anyone who hadn't already seen it. :p:

They did a surprisingly good job considering, as my recollection of the first series was vacant at best. I would assume most of the people who are watching Fam have seen the first series (and if they haven't, they should have), so it's more of a refresher.
Reply 2812
Its their fault for not watching the original then.:huff:

I tend to never skip openings or endings any more, but in Another's case Ill make an exception.:yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
For someone who is a native of the English language or is fluent, perhaps. :tongue: As the series is intended for a Japanese audience (like all anime), regarding they can identify the language as English, it has achieved its purpose. Most Japanese people, including myself originally, wouldn't be able to tell whether it's spoken properly or not. As we've mentioned before via PM, this is very much inline with Japanese popular culture's usage of English. Another example would be the often ridiculous naming of anime in said language. The language is trendy. :giggle:

True, I can understand that. But... my ears still find it inexcusable :tongue: I'm pretty sure that Symphogears attempts to Engurish it up has given it another laughable feature in an already floundering show. Not to say I don't enjoy it. I think the reason I like Symphogear is that, it doesn't realize quite how incoherent it is and despite this, tries to be serious - this actually makes what would be a farcical attempt at anime tropology (made up word), into an enjoyable failure. :giggle:

In other news, I'm very glad I gave PapaKiki another chance because I can't deny that it is pretty infectious. The first episode really shouldn't be used to judge the flow or direction of the show. It really is coming into its own. The last episode was particularly good, I laughed quite a bit but the show isn't degrading into a comedy with sub plots, its a nice mix between comedy, slice of life and has some mature themes thrown in. Though, the last episode did also leave me wondering about bathing in Japan.

Spoiler

I understand a public bath but surely the same wouldn't be true of your bath in your home? Or perhaps this was just more of a sub-fan service moment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2814
^ 3 episode rule. You should at least watch three episodes of a show before you pass judgement.

Papakiki still tugging on my heart strings.
Reply 2815
Original post by Facticity
True, I can understand that. But... my ears still find it inexcusable :tongue: I'm pretty sure that Symphogears attempts to Engurish it up has given it another laughable feature in an already floundering show. Not to say I don't enjoy it. I think the reason I like Symphogear is that, it doesn't realize quite how incoherent it is and despite this, tries to be serious - this actually makes what would be a farcical attempt at anime tropology (made up word), into an enjoyable failure. :giggle:

Yes, I guess it's understandable that you'd feel this way. :smile: As for the anime overall, I agree. Regarding it's entertaining, I'm willing to put any pedantry aside. :tongue:

In other news, I'm very glad I gave PapaKiki another chance because I can't deny that it is pretty infectious. The first episode really shouldn't be used to judge the flow or direction of the show. It really is coming into its own. The last episode was particularly good, I laughed quite a bit but the show isn't degrading into a comedy with sub plots, its a nice mix between comedy, slice of life and has some mature themes thrown in. Though, the last episode did also leave me wondering about bathing in Japan.

Spoiler

I understand a public bath but surely the same wouldn't be true of your bath in your home? Or perhaps this was just more of a sub-fan service moment.

As Tabris has said, it's important to give an anime a few episodes before determining whether you'll like it as the first can be deceiving. This is very much the case with Papa. :smile:
Meh, I'm happy enough to trust my first impressions when it comes to the new anime season - I don't have enough time/bandwidth to follow everything, so if the first ep doesn't impress then I'll rarely download the second. I can always come back to a series after it's finished if people are singing its praises by that point. :yes:
One of the other guys on my course has watched Otogi-Jushi Akazukin. :zomg:
Reply 2818
Original post by AngryJellyfish
One of the other guys on my course has watched Otogi-Jushi Akazukin. :zomg:

PumpKIIIINN~

I'm thinking I might try one of my DVDs, Gun sword or maybe rewatch Gurren lagann. None of the currently airing shows have really caught my attention (save for Mirai Nikki, but I haven't been in the mood to give it my full attention). I've never had a spell like this since I started watching anime :colondollar:

(AJ, do you have enough courage to see if others on the course like MLP? :awesome: )
Reply 2819
My rough heuristic for finding things to watch is to read what various people, whose tastes I've gotten to know, say about things, and then watch things that sound fun, usually once they've finished airing. This way I mostly avoid ever watching something which bores me, though of course the downside is that I'm usually not watching things as they come out.

This season's unusual in that there are shows which I'm interested enough in to catch them as they get translated.

--

I've been too busy to watch much lately, but I've been slowly watching Flag again. It's still really satisfying.

Also the third episode of Smile Precure was as good as the previous two. (I leave it to you to decide whether this means it was good.)

Latest