The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by CameronMurray
I need to document fictitious emails from a fictitious client.

I need to include a screenshot of each email (with the date).

How can I send emails to my account (from a fake clients account I manage) and make it look like the emails were sent at an earlier (specific) date?

I don't mind using any new email client or email provider that will enable me to fake the delivery dates.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!

This sounds legitimate...

Why do you need this?
Reply 2
Watching in case someone does know how to do this :awesome:
Reply 3
Original post by 419
Watching in case someone does know how to do this :awesome:

It's pretty easy.
If it's for coursework, then photoshop the date. If it's not for coursework, then it's probably illegal :P forgery or whatnot.

You might be able to change it by altering computer clock?
Reply 5
Original post by Mad Vlad
It's pretty easy.

Do share please :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by 419
Do share please :colondollar:

I'm assuming it's not going to be "for fun", so it would be unethical. Sorry :frown:
Reply 7
You need something to edit all the metadata of the message. If you are using outlook, you can use this:

http://www.dimastr.com/outspy/download.htm

note that it will only change dates of local emails, not ones on someone else's computer or on your email server.

don't do it for bad reasons okay.

also, i think some older email systems work if you just change the system time on your computer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mad Vlad
I'm assuming it's not going to be "for fun", so it would be unethical. Sorry :frown:

No, it's not. I'm not even in of it. Just want to know how it works- basically been inquisitive. PM if you'd prefer.
Reply 9
I have tried this before to send emails with assignments appear they where sent earlier than i had sent them. The simple answer is its impossible. I have tried setting the message meta tags over php (can be used to problem a quick mail client) that i use, but every time i put the time/date meta tags, the message was picked up by spam filters and sent back failed. It may work if you where sending to a message filter without spam filter, but the changes are 1/100000000000+ :biggrin:

Only thing I can suggest, Photoshop or if your using Google chrome, right click on the time, click on inspect element, change the value on the html to the time/date you want!
Reply 10
html editor plugin for firefox then print screen.
I need to document fictitious emails from a fictitious client.

I need to include a screenshot of each email (with the date).

How can I send emails to my account (from a fake clients account I manage) and make it look like the emails were sent at an earlier (specific) date?

I don't mind using any new email client or email provider that will enable me to fake the delivery dates.

Anything that emphasises 'fictitious' and 'fake' that many times must be a fantastic idea. :congrats:
Reply 12
It is for coursework, because I could not find a client, I had to just fake it and do the work!

Therefore now I need to makeup a load of emails.
Reply 13
It is for coursework, because I could not find a client, I had to just fake it and do the work!

Therefore now I need to makeup a load of emails.

I would then just photoshop it then. Its what I did when I had to go interview/questionnaire people and couldn't be bothered. Just send a email to your account from your fake account. Print screen it, but don't resize it and paste it on photoshop. Try and get a similar font and and write over where the original date is and have a white background so you can't see the original text.:innocent:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I think thats what I'll end up doing. Cheers for your advice =)
Reply 15
No problem
Reply 16
As others have said it's fairly easy to do to be able to pass a trivial test (What's shown in the message summary).

To have something that could pass some scrutiny gets much harder. e.g. emails usually pass through a number of email servers all of which add in a header which includes the date and time it got to them.