Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Liverpool Hope?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
empressrissa
Hi...
I was just wondering why LJMU is so much more respected when it was ranked around 99 or 100 on the league tables, according to http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php.

I'm guessing that it can't be that much better than Hope.

I'm not from the UK though, so I guess there must be some other reason why it is known as "No Hope University." I would really like to know so that I can make an informed decision on where I should go to study.

Thanks!

The answer to that question is easy...

Compare it to the position of Hope in the league tables :p:

In fact Hope refused to publish their results due to the fact that when they DID post them a year before, they ranked dead bottom in the whole of the UK as a university

here; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/good_university_guide/article2131641.ece

Total score out of 1000 (last year): (191)

Liverpool JMU: Total score (out of 1000): 336 (327)

Liverpool Uni: Total score out of 1000 (last year): 622 (610)

As you can see, Hope is the bottom of the pile :p:
Liverpool
daytona01
The answer to that question is easy...

Compare it to the position of Hope in the league tables :p:

In fact Hope refused to publish their results due to the fact that when they DID post them a year before, they ranked dead bottom in the whole of the UK as a university

here; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/good_university_guide/article2131641.ece

Total score out of 1000 (last year): (191)

Liverpool JMU: Total score (out of 1000): 336 (327)

Liverpool Uni: Total score out of 1000 (last year): 622 (610)

As you can see, Hope is the bottom of the pile :p:

Hhhmmm... Got ya!

Thanks!
Reply 22
empressrissa
Hi...
I was just wondering why LJMU is so much more respected when it was ranked around 99 or 100 on the league tables, according to http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php.

I'm guessing that it can't be that much better than Hope.

I'm not from the UK though, so I guess there must be some other reason why it is known as "No Hope University." I would really like to know so that I can make an informed decision on where I should go to study.

Thanks!

and where is hope on that league table? :biggrin:
rowe1992
and where is hope on that league table? :biggrin:

lol yea i got the point.
Reply 24
i've been at hope since september and i like it, the fact it's a smaller university appealed to me and the course i'm studying has a really good reputation amongst employers.
as far as league tables go, it's what you put into the course that matters. i think a lot of people turn up at uni expecting the lecturers etc to do all the legwork for them and the moan when they get bad results for not revising! it's not true of everyone but i've lost count of how many of these people i've come across.

my tutors and lecturers are great, they all practise in the field and have tons of experience, you can bounce ideas off their heads and get in heated debates with them. i study design though, i have no idea what the less practical courses are like.

the SU is dire, don't even factor that in. i haven't bothered going back since freshers week and i doubt i will in the future. coming from manchester where the SUs are fairly central, put on good nights and get a great mix of people, to that at LH was right bloody shock! it's the total opposite. i've heard students are pushing for a SU at the creative campus so hopefully that'll go ahead (i study at the cornerstone so the closer proximity alcohol the better!).

like any uni there are good and bad points but i'm still really glad i decided to come here, liverpool's a great city too
Reply 25
boldaslove
it's what you put into the course that matters.

Hear Hear!

I mean if you graduate with a first or a 2:1 degree from Hope and are enthusiastic about pursuing your career you will do well in life. If you're bone-idle, get a third from Hope then wonder why your job interview didn't pan out......well, don't think it's because you wen't to Hope instead of Oxford.
I'm going back this year to stay in Halls. From what I've read above about the Hope Park Campus.....Its pretty Accurate.....THE DEAD SU and all. But It depends what you study.....I studied in the Everton campus and will continue to do so 1st year this September. The Cornerstone Everton Campus is wicked because the CITY center is right at your doorstep. NO BUSES NO LONG WALKS.....Its all there, Clubs, Bars, Shops. Whatever you need. It is a bit gutting tho that the other students have to stay in hope Park. Its about 15-20 min bus drive to city center. But the buses are frequent. Its only for a year tho. To get you use to being away from home. Then after that you can move closer to town with flat mates.

As for the uni its self. I never had any problems. Its small which means you get to build a relationship with all teachers. They call you by name and not just number......STUDENT 1 STUDENT 2......all that rubbish you'd get in larger universitys. Lectures are cool and they aren't too ONTO IT with Attendance. I was off about Twice a week every two weeks for a whole year and they never complained to me :biggrin:

Jessy x
Reply 27
Anybody gonna be in St Margarets Halls this year?
KillThisChorus

As for the uni its self. I never had any problems. Its small which means you get to build a relationship with all teachers. They call you by name and not just number......STUDENT 1 STUDENT 2......all that rubbish you'd get in larger universitys. Lectures are cool and they aren't too ONTO IT with Attendance. I was off about Twice a week every two weeks for a whole year and they never complained to me :biggrin:
Jessy x

This is despite the fact that your email address is an 8 number sequence? I am actually planning on having it tattooed onto my wrist with a bar-code as a grisly reminder of my time at the place.
Reply 29
I had no idea about this uni's reputation before I made it my firm choice that was for sure! But...saying that, I went to the applicant day this year and got a really good vibe- the atmosphere was great! But I am freaking out about something tho- I have been placed in the accomodation 'St Michaels Hall' in the Aigburth Park Campus...Is this within the main Hope Park Campus? As I'm taking English I just want to make sure its near my lectures, as I didn't actually apply for this hall to start with...Can anyone help meeeee? Ta
:biggrin:
kimmybd
I had no idea about this uni's reputation before I made it my firm choice that was for sure! But...saying that, I went to the applicant day this year and got a really good vibe- the atmosphere was great! But I am freaking out about something tho- I have been placed in the accomodation 'St Michaels Hall' in the Aigburth Park Campus...Is this within the main Hope Park Campus? As I'm taking English I just want to make sure its near my lectures, as I didn't actually apply for this hall to start with...Can anyone help meeeee? Ta
:biggrin:

St Michael's hall is quite a distance from campus, but there is a free shuttle bus that runs from there to Hope park a couple of times a day.
Reply 31
Could anyone studying music at Liverpool Hope Univerwity tell me how they find the course?
Hiya :smile:

Yeah I've struggled to find threads about Hope on here - thankyou! :smile:

I've got an unconditional for psychology and im going to the open day on the 21st march. Liverpool sounds like an awesome city, im from newcastle, but I'm getting pretty disheartened by what i'm hearing about Hope lol lots of negetive stuff! I've been reading around and everyone says that the union is **** and its small.. I also wanted to ask if it feels kind of isolated? like how much do people actually go out into the centre at night? I dont wanna be stuck in a tiny community on the outskirts but I can imagine taxi back from centre would cost a lot.

Also I'm wondering about the religious influence? the website talks a lot about 'spiritual education' and there is a section where it offers a summer school for year 12s 'from selected faith schools' to sample the university.. I also read that some of the halls are seperated into boys/girls? And one review I read said that the union was rubbish but its ok cos 'most people just hang out in the chaplaincy' :/ lol. Perhaps I'm being silly and reading too much into it, i'm totally happy with religion being there but I dont want to feel that I'm joined a religious institution, if that makes sense? If anyone has an opinion on this that would be great! :smile:
Reply 33
Hi there

First of all congratulations on getting into Hope.

Don't worry about the reviews as most of the time it is just typical Uni banta/fun (seems there are 4 Universities in the area). Everyone is friendly to each other and it is just a bit of fun.

Some of the reviews however do have truth behind it - union is not brilliant, it is quite far away from the city centre, some of the halls are single sex (depends on which one you apply for).

Now the big but, Hope is a university where you get exactly what you want if you put the effort into it. The social life is great, if you want it to be. You will not miss out as plenty of people are happy to jump in a taxi and go together to town - I spent £2 each way in a shared taxi (Delta taxi). The people who live in mixed sex halls (halls where you have 4 flatmates) often give an open invite for people in halls to come for a party. Those in single sex halls are a long corridor with doors going to peoples rooms (so you have like 20 people per floor). Despite being single sex, at night everyone just goes to either the boys or girls hall and everyone just hangs in the common room with the flatscreen TV on drinking till 11ish then go into town. So despite being single sex, it very rarely is.

Societies and events are so easy to set up with friends you meet if there is not one already that fits your expectation. I do IT/Computer Science and this weekend just gone the department arranged for a gaming party during the day (a LAN party) where they provided Dominos and other food where undergraduates, postgraduates and the teachers came in on Saturday to have a laugh. So it is not just alcohol related fun you can get :wink:

Your first year they take care of you, you get stuffed with lots of free Dominos and it is easy enough to get to town and you meet a lot of people. You seem to want a very big social life in uni so yes your first year can be very social/nights out. Then when you get a house in your second year you will be even closer to town. Halls can be very loud.. so sometimes you will be asked to keep it down a bit as you are in a residential area - but they only ask if you are having a night out go to town by 11 and when you are coming back at 3-5am just don't be screaming and shouting as other people live in the area and some people need to sleep to get up early. Especially those training to be teachers who often need to be up at 6am etc.

Your first week they provide buses to get to town on nights out and have second years as guides to help everyone get to all the bars and night clubs and settle you in with drinking games etc. There is also a free shuttle bus that goes from the main campus to all the other campus's - The Creative campus is pretty much next to town. So during the day (till 6ish) you have free transport too and from town every hour.

Just remember though, have fun on freshers week and throughout the year but I'll ask don't miss your lectures and seminars. You are paying a lot of money to go :P It is about getting a degree and you do get a lot of work. You will spend a lot of your first year trying to understand harvard referencing. So for a tip try doing some research about it over summer :smile:.

Sorry this is a bit all over the place, think I got everything down. Oh yeah, the religious side - you get asked to go to one thing in the chapel on your first week as a "Welcome and congratulations for getting in." - I just used that to say hi to the two people I was sat next to/meet others. After that I've never had any religious bits thrown on me. If anything it just leaves a pretty looking campus with lots of trees, flowers, fountains etc. I used to just go for a wonder at 1am if I couldn't sleep and you feel completely safe.

Good luck :smile: Any more questions just ask, just really compare your course compared to other universities. As at the end of the day that is the most important thing. Everyone is friendly - right now I'm in a computer lab and people are just chatting away, some laying on the floor with a bag of chips as we procrastinate about our reports :smile:

Put in the effort, you get what you want :smile:
Original post by maltesers12

Yeah I've struggled to find threads about Hope on here - thankyou! :smile:

I've got an unconditional for psychology and im going to the open day on the 21st march. Liverpool sounds like an awesome city, im from newcastle, but I'm getting pretty disheartened by what i'm hearing about Hope lol lots of negetive stuff! I've been reading around and everyone says that the union is **** and its small.. I also wanted to ask if it feels kind of isolated? like how much do people actually go out into the centre at night? I dont wanna be stuck in a tiny community on the outskirts but I can imagine taxi back from centre would cost a lot.

Also I'm wondering about the religious influence? the website talks a lot about 'spiritual education' and there is a section where it offers a summer school for year 12s 'from selected faith schools' to sample the university.. I also read that some of the halls are seperated into boys/girls? And one review I read said that the union was rubbish but its ok cos 'most people just hang out in the chaplaincy' :/ lol. Perhaps I'm being silly and reading too much into it, i'm totally happy with religion being there but I dont want to feel that I'm joined a religious institution, if that makes sense? If anyone has an opinion on this that would be great! :smile:

Hey,

I'm at Hope in my 3rd year of the Psychology degree (about to graduate yay) so if you have any questions about that specifically, feel free to "quote" me and I'll get back to you.

With regards to the religion, you do get a lot of emails from the chaplaincy telling you about their events, but you don't HAVE to go to these. The only hint of religion I was aware of were during the compulsory "dining in" nights in the canteen (happened once every couple of months) and you had to pray at the beginning of the meal. But if you're not religious, just bow your head and respect those who wish to pray. Certainly not a reason to put you off going.
Reply 35
Original post by maltesers12

I've been reading around and everyone says that the union is **** and its small.. I also wanted to ask if it feels kind of isolated? like how much do people actually go out into the centre at night? I dont wanna be stuck in a tiny community on the outskirts but I can imagine taxi back from centre would cost a lot.

Hi - I'm 2nd year at Hope and had similar worries before I started. Unfortunately all the rumours about the union is true - the SU bar is currently non-existent. But I've heard there are plans to turn the Vice Chancellor's private dining room into the new SU bar (because let's face it, who needs their own private dining room??) It is a very secluded campus, but I like that about it. It's cosy :smile: It's in a residential area so they do ask you to keep it down when you're around Taggart Avenue (the road that run through campus). Despite being a quiet area, there are regular buses into town, including the free shuttle bus to the creative campus. Taxis are around £8, or £12 if you get a black cab. But if you're living in halls, you'll always have a full cab so you'll be splitting it with 3 or 4 others.

It is a religious uni, but I don't feel like they push it on you or anything. It's your choice - you can visit the chaplaincy or you can choose to forget it exists. I'm not religious but I do find the chaplaincy staff very friendly. The Harry Potter halls are single-sex but VERY social and we all mixed together last year. Or if you prefer to live mixed sex then there are the slightly more expensive halls which hold 5 to each flat.

Hope this helps.
This is despite the fact that your email address is an 8 number sequence? I am actually planning on having it tattooed onto my wrist with a bar-code as a grisly reminder of my time at the place.

oh dear.. why was your experience so bad?? :/
I'm at Hope in my 3rd year of the Psychology degree (about to graduate yay) so if you have any questions about that specifically, feel free to "quote" me and I'll get back to you.

Hiya :smile: Yay a psychology student! thankyou for the reply :smile: emm idk what to ask.. How do you find the lecturers? o and how many hours roughly do u spend in lectures/seminars each week? I read somewhere that its very few, and they lecturers sometimes don't turn up.. Are they any help with connecting you to relevant volunteering/work experience? Anything else you feel thats good to know please! lol i just wanna know as much as possible. I want to go there, but I'm getting really put off by most of the reviews :frown:
Lisa289 and Soap_UK, thankyou very much for the info! :smile: really helpful.

Hear Hear!

I mean if you graduate with a first or a 2:1 degree from Hope and are enthusiastic about pursuing your career you will do well in life. If you're bone-idle, get a third from Hope then wonder why your job interview didn't pan out......well, don't think it's because you wen't to Hope instead of Oxford.

hmm I do agree with this, but, I'm wondering if employers will respect a degree from Hope when they can see poor score/removal from league tables? I wish there was a way to know how employers view a uni :/
Reply 39
What about the creative course and the campus , has anyone got any information on them ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending