The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
How many conditional offers been given out so far?
Original post by TheStudent.
Well maybe they deserved it and you didnt? maybe they were just being nice, being your friends after all, and didn't want to upset you?
Your very arrogant. Your patronising comment at the end doesn't detract from that. Just because YOU say your the better applicant in no way means that you are.

As I said before, my friend is brutally honest and I'd trust him with anything.

You have no idea who I am so you can call me arrogant. I've worked so freakin' hard to overcome my confidence issues, and you're sitting behind your desk judging people on the basis of 'written text'.

And if you had read what I wrote properly, you'd realise I never said I was the better applicant... they did.

Original post by carl_senior
I don't agree with this. The Admissions team have a difficult job sorting thorough 700+ applications. I have no doubt that many of them are worthy of a place and that many of them would indeed make great doctors. I think they make the best of a very demanding task. Looking at some of the current BM6 lot, I do have some faith in the admissions process.

I didn't say they wouldn't make great doctors, I said that "worse applicants are being picked over better applicants". The application system is flawed due to the relativism involved. Applicants are being picked because they are relatively better than the rest in the batch, not because they are absolutely (one of) the best applicant.
I'm still waiting for a reply, have the uni started giving out interviews for march?
And how many ppl are given interviews out of the 700+ that apply?
Btw this thread is getting stressful, best of luck to everyone.
Reply 2023
Original post by carl_senior
Leeds have done the same with me this year. I had an offer from them last year, but this year no interview. So maybe re-applicants are disadvantaged?

Have you been rejected from Leeds?
Reply 2024
Original post by Tzarchasm
As I said before, my friend is brutally honest and I'd trust him with anything.

You have no idea who I am so you can call me arrogant. I've worked so freakin' hard to overcome my confidence issues, and you're sitting behind your desk judging people on the basis of 'written text'.

And if you had read what I wrote properly, you'd realise I never said I was the better applicant... they did.

I didn't say they wouldn't make great doctors, I said that "worse applicants are being picked over better applicants". The application system is flawed due to the relativism involved. Applicants are being picked because they are relatively better than the rest in the batch, not because they are absolutely (one of) the best applicant.

Do they give personal feedback. If they don't I will be extremely pissed off as I've also been rejected from UEA and they also never gave feedback. :angry:
Surely they must look at each application with a great consideration and detail, and make notes as they read it. Is it that hard to give the people they rejected a reason as to why.
Just got a conditional offer from Southampton! :biggrin:
Reply 2026
Original post by mashalli
How many conditional offers been given out so far?

There have been two so far (on here anyway) - I think they only give out 3/5 early offers to the people who scored near to or full marks on every part of their application and interview. All offers and rejections after the interviews are going out at the end of March.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2027
Original post by Moonthana

Awesome! really well done :smile:
This thread is becoming all stressy and intense again... :afraid:
Original post by Moonthana

Nice one! :biggrin: Well done!
Original post by Besakt
Do they give personal feedback. If they don't I will be extremely pissed off as I've also been rejected from UEA and they also never gave feedback. :angry:
Surely they must look at each application with a great consideration and detail, and make notes as they read it. Is it that hard to give the people they rejected a reason as to why.

Nope I sent them an email asking for reasons why they rejected me, and instead they sent a letter outlining the application process and how intense the competition was this year.
Reply 2031
Original post by TheStudent.
Nope I sent them an email asking for reasons why they rejected me, and instead they sent a letter outlining the application process and how intense the competition was this year.

Great! Got rejections but don't even know what to improve and where my downfalls are. :rolleyes:
Original post by Besakt
Great! Got rejections but don't even know what to improve and where my downfalls are. :rolleyes:

Well they do hint at the reason why, but not specifically. As long as you meet the academic requirements, they look at your personal statement for evidence of the non-academic criteria they've got on their website, and then rate that out of 0-5. I guess it comes down to applicants judging for themselves whether they have fulfilled certain things they're looking for, and if not improve :confused:

Its all a lot of guess work :frown:
For those saying they've rejected all the re-applicants who got further last year, I too am a re-applicant who got an offer last year and I've yet to hear anything, bad or otherwise, so I don't think they're immediately discrediting re-applicants at all, it's just a very tough year with higher standards.

That said, I wish everybody the best and well done for offers :smile:
Reply 2034
Original post by popsiclee67
For those saying they've rejected all the re-applicants who got further last year, I too am a re-applicant who got an offer last year and I've yet to hear anything, bad or otherwise, so I don't think they're immediately discrediting re-applicants at all, it's just a very tough year with higher standards.

That said, I wish everybody the best and well done for offers :smile:

I am also yet to hear anything..... I know it bears no relation to this year's application cycle, but when did you hear from Soton last year?
Original post by Tzarchasm
Applicants are being picked because they are relatively better than the rest in the batch, not because they are absolutely (one of) the best applicants.

Isn't this how it always works? How else do you propose that they do it?
They only have a couple of paragraphs to work with, they cant possibly work out who are truly the best applicants from that anyway. It's awful that they have to turn so many worthy applicants away before interview, but it has to be done due to the sheer amount of competition for the course. This means that a lot of very deserving applicants (including yourself) don't even get a chance. However it also means that approx 120 applicants DO get a shot at an interview and it means they end up with 30 cracking students on the course at the end of it.
Original post by Ally312
Nice one! :biggrin: Well done!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by jcb123
Awesome! really well done :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Right, sorry if you don't know me, I haven't been on this thread for a while, but I had my interview back in December... But in the last week I've had two personal messages from people asking me what questions were asked at the interview... With all due respect, DO NOT FRICKIN' TELL THESE PEOPLE! It doesn't just put you at a disadvantage, but everybody here and certainly isn't fair! Id have killed for even an outline of what I could've expected in interview. So stop asking!
Original post by tobnot
I am also yet to hear anything..... I know it bears no relation to this year's application cycle, but when did you hear from Soton last year?

Early feb x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending