The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8620
Original post by asas78978
Really? I was wondering do you need over 90UMS for AS modules the relevant A-levels in order to go to any of the top unis? Just a couple of A*s lol scared me even more. How many A* have you got?:frown:

well usually a couple = 2. and that is the case with me, my college did subjects early so that end year12 i had maths and physics finished (A*)

On the UMS, it's good to get as high UMS as you can because some unis ask for it. From the ones I applied to only UCL asked for my UMS from all previous exams (AS and the A2s i had completed) but the others did not - i do not have an offer from UCL yet. Oxbridge do ask for it i think so for them you would like to get 95+ average in your AS but it's not like you can't get in with around 90+ if you stand out with PS and references.

Basically, just do your best this year, then see after results day in the summer what your results mean for your uni applications. Not even you know exactly what you will get yet. I only decided on uni choices about 2 weeks before sending my application off - don't worry yet.
Original post by JuKaMy
well usually a couple = 2. and that is the case with me, my college did subjects early so that end year12 i had maths and physics finished (A*)

On the UMS, it's good to get as high UMS as you can because some unis ask for it. From the ones I applied to only UCL asked for my UMS from all previous exams (AS and the A2s i had completed) but the others did not - i do not have an offer from UCL yet. Oxbridge do ask for it i think so for them you would like to get 95+ average in your AS but it's not like you can't get in with around 90+ if you stand out with PS and references.

Basically, just do your best this year, then see after results day in the summer what your results mean for your uni applications. Not even you know exactly what you will get yet. I only decided on uni choices about 2 weeks before sending my application off - don't worry yet.

Nice thank you, in fact the reason I am worrying about is because of the UMS modules score, it worries me a lot, and my school also made pupil taking math at yr12, and which unis have you applied to? Also when you receive your offer, do you just only need extra A to be completed? Or you need to take another 3 and achieve grade in them as well, because i heard unis are stupid enough to punish pupil who took them early, e.g u and me
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8622
Nice thank you, in fact the reason I am worrying about is because of the UMS modules score, it worries me a lot, and my school also made pupil taking math at yr12, and which unis have you applied to?

check my signature at the bottom of my first comment on this page of the thread, has unis and offers (blue arrow) (and sorry to treat you like a noob if you know how to find it but i've seen some people have difficulty :laugh: )
Original post by 94george94
Who's going to the Bristol open day tomorrow then?

I am.
Original post by JuKaMy
Haha! insane? Your's can't have been too bad either if you have an offer from LSE :tongue:
Yes, applied with A* in maths and physics, and so don't need to worry about anything except FMaths and Econ this year
I reckon I covered the E in Fmaths in this Jan's exams though (hopefully :biggrin:) so just econ in the summer that is the decider

Sorry I find it within like 2 minutes:biggrin: and lol insane grades you've got there, I am jealous......
HAHA man you are crazy, I just wondering if they still care about your individual scores if you acieved A* already in certain subject, whether it will be low or high A*. That is the main thing I am concerned about.
I will be applying with 2 grades as well (M/FM) hopefully A*A or better, done my math in yr11. Will done FM in yr12. But very low UMS. I e-mailed LSE and UCL and they said they don't like early entry and need me to achieve A*AA in other subjects that I will be doing at A2, which is really bad since I am only good at certain subjects. Trinity Cambridge on the other hand replied to me that don't concern at all. So I was confused why LSE and UCL ask for more.
Reply 8625
Just a quick question if you don't mind answering:

Due to my teacher being very incompetent and both of my modules for AS Economics being in the Summer - should I get a private tutor or is the AS pretty much self-teachable? I'm not exactly keen of self-teaching as I haven't attempted it before so I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

I have the following resources: Anforme, Tutor2U, Exam Endorsed Textbook.

Original post by Kravez
Just a quick question if you don't mind answering:

Due to my teacher being very incompetent and both of my modules for AS Economics being in the Summer - should I get a private tutor or is the AS pretty much self-teachable? I'm not exactly keen of self-teaching as I haven't attempted it before so I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

I have the following resources: Anforme, Tutor2U, Exam Endorsed Textbook.

i had the shoddiest teachers for economics. just learn it yourself, i did that for both as and a2. its pips
One of my friends called them because they couldn't make it today.
Reply 8628
Original post by Tigger2010
i had the shoddiest teachers for economics. just learn it yourself, i did that for both as and a2. its pips

What grade did you achieve, and which particular resources did you use to aid you? I don't exactly even have a teacher (you could put it as this since I don't attend lessons due to not learning anything whatsoever)
Hey guys,
I got an offer from UCL on the 15th and an invitation to the open day today but I can't make it, I would highly appreciate it if some of you could let me know how it went and what your thoughts were.
Thnx
OMG I am getting a bit scared now by looking at this thread, you guys are crazy, got like 97-100UMS in average...
Before I thought I might stand a chance, now I feel depressed...

I also wanna apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham. Not sure if I am good enough now...

I didn't get 97-100 UMS. Going by what people are saying in this thread, I have the lowest grades out of anyone who got an offer for UCL L101/L100. Don't be so quick to assume you don't have a chance
Original post by Kravez
What grade did you achieve, and which particular resources did you use to aid you? I don't exactly even have a teacher (you could put it as this since I don't attend lessons due to not learning anything whatsoever)

got an A*. which board are you? i think i was edexcel so the philip allen books helped a lot, as well as just random notes online. then the rest is just exam technique...

But this is just me..I was literally the worst in my class, failing every test (i'm a bit stupid). I've only ever done well through just self learning / cramming a few weeks before the exams
Did anyone apply to the Bank of England gap year scheme?
Reply 8633
Sorry I find it within like 2 minutes:biggrin: and lol insane grades you've got there, I am jealous......
HAHA man you are crazy, I just wondering if they still care about your individual scores if you acieved A* already in certain subject, whether it will be low or high A*. That is the main thing I am concerned about.
I will be applying with 2 grades as well (M/FM) hopefully A*A or better, done my math in yr11. Will done FM in yr12. But very low UMS. I e-mailed LSE and UCL and they said they don't like early entry and need me to achieve A*AA in other subjects that I will be doing at A2, which is really bad since I am only good at certain subjects. Trinity Cambridge on the other hand replied to me that don't concern at all. So I was confused why LSE and UCL ask for more.

It's difficult to say, the email LSE sent me when i asked them about whether my early entries were bad was something along the lines of 'we prefer A levels to be finished in the same year' so not definite but also indicating they don't like it. On the other hand, Warwick (very good for economics) said they don't care at all about early entries. I only did my AS in Physics year 11, other than that it was all in years 12 and 13 so maybe you having done your whole maths in year 11 wont be great. How come you haven't got your grade from maths if you did it last year?

I think if you get A*A in Maths, FMaths then that is pretty solid for applying to these unis if they look over the fact they were done early. If a uni does not ask for UMS then obviously the UMS does not matter, it's just about the grade. But if you are applying to Oxbridge and UCL then you would want to have high UMS in FM and Maths to show you didn't just scrape the good looking grades.
Reply 8634
Offer from LSE A*AAE for L101 Economics, so happy :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by WalkerPrince

I might do it depends
so worried right now I've heard nothing from UCL, the last time I heard from was the end of November and that was the confirmation of the foreign language requirement :/ and also waiting for LSE and warwick...
Reply 8637
Original post by WalkerPrince

Yes.

Original post by Tomatochuckers
I might do it depends

The deadline was the 20th February wasn't it?
Reply 8638
Original post by member910132
Hey guys,
I got an offer from UCL on the 15th and an invitation to the open day today but I can't make it, I would highly appreciate it if some of you could let me know how it went and what your thoughts were.
Thnx

If you don't go to the open day you don't get an offer.
Reply 8639
Original post by A_Asif
Offer from LSE A*AAE for L101 Economics, so happy :smile:

Well done!!!

Original post by Jsalgado
LSE offer!!! 38 7 7 6 hl :biggrin:

Congrats!!!

See you two there next year :biggrin: ?

Latest

Trending

Trending