The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Well, I take back what I said earlier, just been rejected pre-interview :frown:
Reply 2041
Is it ok for you to speak loads of points for one question or do they want short answers?
Reply 2042
Original post by a05aafzul
Right, sorry if you don't know me, I haven't been on this thread for a while, but I had my interview back in December... But in the last week I've had two personal messages from people asking me what questions were asked at the interview... With all due respect, DO NOT FRICKIN' TELL THESE PEOPLE! It doesn't just put you at a disadvantage, but everybody here and certainly isn't fair! Id have killed for even an outline of what I could've expected in interview. So stop asking!

Hear hear! Amir... Stop messaging and asking me as well.
Original post by popsiclee67

No way!! :frown:
This thread is getting way too stressful now. I really wish you the best with the rest of your choices. There is always next year? My advice is just don't give up!
Chin up and stay positive x
Original post by carl_senior
No way!! :frown:
This thread is getting way too stressful now. I really wish you the best with the rest of your choices. There is always next year? My advice is just don't give up!
Chin up and stay positive x

next year isn't an option I'm afraid haha, I can't reapply for a third year and go through it again, really :smile: I have an unconditional for biomedical science so if everything else fails I'll be doing that :smile: I'm not holding up well right now but I'll get there aha. Hope everything goes well for you x
next year isn't an option I'm afraid haha, I can't reapply for a third year and go through it again, really :smile: I have an unconditional for biomedical science so if everything else fails I'll be doing that :smile: I'm not holding up well right now but I'll get there aha. Hope everything goes well for you x

Aww no! I forgot you were a re-applicant. Sincerely wish you the best of luck for the rest of your application though x
Wheres the biomed offer at?
Aww no! I forgot you were a re-applicant. Sincerely wish you the best of luck for the rest of your application though x
Wheres the biomed offer at?

Thank you, and at Hull :smile:
And I only need a B in chemistry to study neuroscience at Leeds :smile:
Thank you, and at Hull :smile:
And I only need a B in chemistry to study neuroscience at Leeds :smile:

Really?! my backup is at hull! If soton doesnt work out then thats where Im going.
Really?! my backup is at hull! If soton doesnt work out then thats where Im going.

ohh yaaay! Not that I don't want you to get in soton aha :smile:
Reply 2049
Original post by iarslan
Hellooo! :biggrin:
I've had an interview mid - January, but I haven't heard anything yet. This is bad news, right? As a few of the applicants who have also had interviews on the same day have managed to obtain offers. Anyone else on the same boat?

Best of luck people

Don't know what order they are giving offers this year. My interview was December and I'm still waiting for news. Not sure if it's bad news:confused:
Original post by iarslan
Hellooo! :biggrin:
I've had an interview mid - January, but I haven't heard anything yet. This is bad news, right? As a few of the applicants who have also had interviews on the same day have managed to obtain offers. Anyone else on the same boat?

Best of luck people

Don't worry, hopefully you will make it! I really hope you do :smile: No news is good news :biggrin: Plus the current BM6 students said they also give out offers later too in March. Only a few people get offers earlier... It's probably to do with in what order they look at everyone's interview performance... btw I've responded to your message :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2051
Original post by iarslan
From what I have gathered, this is how the application process works at Southampton:

1. Meet Minimum academic entry requirements
2. Eligibility criteria
3. Personal Statement + Reference checked = Marked --depending on that score = earlier interviews/ pre - interview rejections (higher the score, earlier the interview - lower the score, rejection without an interview)
4. Interview / Marked
5. High marks for both interview + p.s = early offers
This is the where we are at.

My theory - if you are invited for an interview earlier in the cycle, the likelier you are to be offered a place, taking into account your interview performance.

I fluffed my interview so I am not expecting an offer. :frown:

But I am 90% sure that my theory is correct

I was in the first batch of interviews on 14th Dec... I to fluffed up my interview and won't be expecting an offer :frown:

Good luck to you anyways.
Original post by iarslan
From what I have gathered, this is how the application process works at Southampton:

2. Eligibility criteria
3. Personal Statement + Reference checked = Marked --depending on that score = earlier interviews/ pre - interview rejections (higher the score, earlier the interview - lower the score, rejection without an interview)
4. Interview / Marked

My theory - if you are invited for an interview earlier in the cycle, the likelier you are to be offered a place, taking into account your interview performance.

I think your theory is probably correct. And I'm sure you didn't fluff your interview!
Just been rejected pre interview :frown:

Oh I'm sorry, where you a re-applicant?
Original post by iarslan

2. Eligibility criteria
4. Interview / Marked

Well this seems like a reasonable theory, my predicted graders are AAB and I still haven't been offered an interview. Where do you think I stand in the cycle taking into account most ppl have got interviews and some offers/rejections
Original post by iarslan
I'd say that you didn't have a good enough reference/ ps when compared to the other applications in the pile your application was allocated too but not when compared to applications in other piles. I.e you might have scored reasonably on your personal statement + p.s but not high enough for an interview and not too low for a rejection.(you clearly exceed the entry requirements & they don't take the UKCAT score into account)

Don't lose hope, but it is best to be prepared for the worst.

Yh well thanks anyway.
Original post by Samohamoud1

Oh I'm sorry, where you a re-applicant?

Yeah I am, but doing a third year at college to retake A2 chemistry :smile:
Original post by iarslan

2. Eligibility criteria
4. Interview / Marked

Original post by jcb123
I was in the first batch of interviews on 14th Dec... I to fluffed up my interview and won't be expecting an offer :frown:

Good luck to you anyways.

Original post by Moonthana
I think your theory is probably correct. And I'm sure you didn't fluff your interview!

Original post by Samohamoud1
Well this seems like a reasonable theory, my predicted graders are AAB and I still haven't been offered an interview. Where do you think I stand in the cycle taking into account most ppl have got interviews and some offers/rejections

actually....you're completely wrong

the application works as thus....

they look at your grades to see if you meet the entry requirements.....if you do....they cease to look at your grades...

they then look at your personal statement and reference.....they are marked out of 15 by each marker.... (so total of 30)

THIS score decides if you go for interview or not

at interview....each interviewer marks you out of 15 again....this score is combined with your PS/ref score and if you meet a certain score....you get an offer
Reply 2059
Original post by infernalcradle
actually....you're completely wrong

the application works as thus....

they look at your grades to see if you meet the entry requirements.....if you do....they cease to look at your grades...

they then look at your personal statement and reference.....they are marked out of 15 by each marker.... (so total of 30)

THIS score decides if you go for interview or not

at interview....each interviewer marks you out of 15 again....this score is combined with your PS/ref score and if you meet a certain score....you get an offer

I know you're a medic but is this opinion or 100% proven fact? Not doubting you, just wondering how you know this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending