The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Original post by jcb123
Just got some info off someone who phoned Soton: 772 applicants, 130 interviews, 50 offers, 30 places.

P.s. the girl spoke to the admissions team so I assume what she told me is true.

So does anyone know what happens if all those 50 people meet the conditions of there offer ?
Reply 2081
Original post by ishy555
So does anyone know what happens if all those 50 people meet the conditions of there offer ?

That's exactly what I was thinking!
Reply 2082
Original post by ishy555

Then surely everyone would get a place, even though it's 50 people, they can't turn away applicants who have met their conditional offer.
Original post by tobnot
Then surely everyone would get a place, even though it's 50 people, they can't turn away applicants who have met their conditional offer.

Last year about 45 got offers, not all of them will get in, I should know :smile:
People mainly miss the offer by a few marks, it's extremely unlikely every single person will get in I'm afraid, and you have to remember that not everyone with an offer puts Soton as their first choice :smile:
Original post by Ally312
I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: ... I was so sure you'd get an interview, and from how nice you've been on this thread I really wanted you to get one.

I really wish you the best of luck for the rest of your application. xx

Aha, I hoped I would! Just bad luck isn't it? :smile:

But thank you, I hope you do well with yours as well :smile: xx
Reply 2085
Original post by ishy555

Even if all 50 meet the conditions, that doesn't mean all 50 will 100% choose Southampton. They may have other offers that they may want to choose. Universities use their own statistics to determine how many offers should go out. If they do take on extra students (and they HAVE TO if for some reason all 50 decide to go there), then the school gets a large fine.
Original post by .eXe
Even if all 50 meet the conditions, that doesn't mean all 50 will 100% choose Southampton. They may have other offers that they may want to choose. Universities use their own statistics to determine how many offers should go out. If they do take on extra students (and they HAVE TO if for some reason all 50 decide to go there), then the school gets a large fine.

Or they contact those with offers to persuade them in taking a gap year...
Original post by mashalli
so i had an interview today...i spoke quite fast and my hand was shaking...which the interviewer noticed and smiled at me...i have completely ruined my chances?
i was nervous (OTT)

I've got mine next week and am so scared!
How was it? did they ask any weird questions?
Original post by rose12344
I've got mine next week and am so scared!
How was it? did they ask any weird questions?

It wasn't too bad in all honesty, although the whole "would you mind going behind the curtain and removing your trousers?" threw me off...
Reply 2089
Original post by a05aafzul
It wasn't too bad in all honesty, although the whole "would you mind going behind the curtain and removing your trousers?" threw me off...

What?! They asked u to take ur pants off?
Original post by .eXe
hey someone who got interviewed on my day already got an offer. am I to assume that they've given out all offers for that day's interviewees or is the entire process completely and totally random?

that person clearly had received full marks pre and post interview...hence got an early offer as their score was so high...that they are guaranteed an offer
Original post by shooby_doo
Hmmm
But someone here already has an offer

So do they hand out offers even when all interviews havent been done?

again...around 3-5 early offers go out to people who have recieved full marks in their application....hence are able to get offers early as there is no chance they will not be in the top 45
Original post by .eXe
What?! They asked u to take ur pants off?

haha!! He's joking... :smile:
Original post by infernalcradle
again...around 3-5 early offers go out to people who have recieved full marks in their application....hence are able to get offers early as there is no chance they will not be in the top 45

Oh i see
But if they give out offers early to the best applicants, do they not give them interviews first for the early offer in the first place?

If that makes sense...
Reply 2094
Original post by shooby_doo
Oh i see
But if they give out offers early to the best applicants, do they not give them interviews first for the early offer in the first place?

If that makes sense...

I think thats why they have early interviews for people who got high marks on their ps unless they interview people in order of score of their application which would make sense
Reply 2095
Original post by ishy555
I think thats why they have early interviews for people who got high marks on their ps unless they interview people in order of score of their application which would make sense

There's no order of preference because people have the right to ask for another interview date. So yes people with high marks can receive early interview offers but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be interviewed earlier than other candidates.
how is everyones week going?
I am not using my normal profile for obvious reasons.

I recently found out I am pregnant.Should I tell Soton at my upcoming interview,or wait fot the outcome?
Reply 2098
Original post by FlowerPowerPuff
I am not using my normal profile for obvious reasons.

I recently found out I am pregnant.Should I tell Soton at my upcoming interview,or wait fot the outcome?

If your planning to keep the baby then I'd say you should but i suppose ultimatley its up to you, if you got an offer would you still be able to attend would be the key thing i think
Original post by ishy555
If your planning to keep the baby then I'd say you should but i suppose ultimatley its up to you, if you got an offer would you still be able to attend would be the key thing i think

i only found out this morning,not sure if i am keeping it.I probably will end up keeping it.

I dont think they need to know unless they give me an offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending