The Student Room Group

Effects of alcohol on the voice

So the thing is:

I sing in a chapel choir on Sunday mornings, and I noticed that if I went out the previous night and consumed alcohol (not huge amounts, but rather strong stuff) that my voice drops from baritone to a decent bass (I then can sing more than an octave below my usual lowest tone and I think also the uppermost tone gets higher :biggrin: ). Also, the voice sounds fuller and stronger.

Does anyone know, whether it's ethanol that's causing the described effect? Obviously, excessive alcohol consumption wouldn't be a sustainable way to enhance the voice - but are there alternatives? If ethanol indeed enhances the voice , is it possible to imitate its effect with a different chemical? :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
It's not really enhancing your voice at all. I'll keep it simple. Basically, alcohol is a depressant, and drinking it just impairs your muscle co-ordination in your vocal folds. Which gives the effect as you described. Plus, it kinda numbs it at the same time, so you're unaware of how much output you're making relative to what you think you're singing like.

And no there isnt, i wouldnt drink alcohol before singing if i were you. Unless you dont want to again.
Reply 2
Isn't that one of the things that damages Whitney Houston's voice?
Reply 3
Original post by NabilKhan
It's not really enhancing your voice at all. I'll keep it simple. Basically, alcohol is a depressant, and drinking it just impairs your muscle co-ordination in your vocal folds. Which gives the effect as you described. Plus, it kinda numbs it at the same time, so you're unaware of how much output you're making relative to what you think you're singing like.

And no there isnt, i wouldnt drink alcohol before singing if i were you. Unless you dont want to again.

I think we are talking about very different amounts here. The amount of alcohol I drink is indeed VERY low (10-15 ml ethanol are sufficient for the effect to occur, if it's indeed alcohol that causes the voice drop) and several hours will have passed before I would sing. I'm not (in the slightest) drunk when singing and can fully and objectively perceive my voice. The effect on the voice is not illusional.

However, you are right, alcohol is by no means a long term solution, especially since it causes esophagus cancer, which probably isn't voice-enhancing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kka25
Isn't that one of the things that damages Whitney Houston's voice?

Damaged
Reply 5
Original post by Please Register
Damaged

Nope. It's still correct. I'm making a factual statement. So, it should be the Simple Present Tense :h:
Original post by kka25
Nope. It's still correct. I'm making a factual statement. So, it should be the Simple Present Tense :h:

So it should be Whitney Houston is a great singer?

Grammar Nazi :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by kka25

Really? It sounds ridiculous. And in most instances, if it sounds ridiculous, it's wrong!

I really don't think that can be right. In fact, referring to a dead person in the present tense (effectively) sounds so wrong, I wouldn't do it even if it was factually correct.
Reply 8
Guys, Whitney was a great singer and alas she is no more. But next Sunday approaches steadily and until then I have to possess the elixir of power (that is vocal power) :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Please Register
So it should be Whitney Houston is a great singer?

Grammar Nazi :tongue:

Depends if that's what you want to call her :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest