The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3860
Original post by adamrules247
I also had to give a testimonial on the power of Confession and they've asked me to do it again to an RCIA group. Scary :s-smilie:
You did good, so good in fact that they want a repeat! Keep it up...you might even get to be a catechist before too long. :wink:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Nothing bad happened
I read your good news on the TSR Christian Society sub-forum! Did you receive the ashes? I would have thought that this might have been the catalyst for your voices, so it's heartwarming to know that you came through unscathed if you did.:hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3861
Reminder to everyone:

New series entitled 'Catholics' starts at 9pm on Channel BBC4 tonight.

Set your reminder! :biggrin:
Original post by yawn
Reminder to everyone:

Reminder set! Thanks for prodding me :biggrin:

Saw spiritual director/confessor this morning. Lovely as always. We had a good chat, he gave me absolution and then gave me a book! :woo:
Reply 3863
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Reminder set! Thanks for prodding me :biggrin:

No worries. :wink:

Saw spiritual director/confessor this morning. Lovely as always. We had a good chat, he gave me absolution and then gave me a book! :woo:

What was the book entitled? :confused:
Original post by yawn
No worries. :wink:

What was the book entitled? :confused:

The book is Awareness by Anthony de Mello S.J. :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Awareness-Anthony-Mello/dp/0006275192

He thought the ideas in it would benefit me greatly and hopefully enable me to feel God's presence, which I haven't felt for a long time :no:
That's a shame that the Cathedral is pretty much dead :frown: I will pray for this intention about your old priest too. I'm glad you find confession so beneficial. I had an appointment with my confessor this morning but he had to cancel due to a bereavement :frown: Hoping to see him on Thursday instead :smile:

I'm definitely taking new priest as a good sign :yep:

Thank you so much. That's good news you'll be able to (or perhaps now have seen) your Confessor :smile: And it really is excellent news about your new priest :smile:

Original post by yawn
You did good, so good in fact that they want a repeat! Keep it up...you might even get to be a catechist before too long. :wink:

Oh I doubt that! I'd be far too radical I imagine :tongue:

Reminder to everyone:

I don't have access to a television but I will be watching on iPlayer tomorrow :smile:
Reply 3866
The book is Awareness by Anthony de Mello S.J. :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Awareness-Anthony-Mello/dp/0006275192

He thought the ideas in it would benefit me greatly and hopefully enable me to feel God's presence, which I haven't felt for a long time :no:

Thanks for the link. I read the synopsis and also several of the customer reviews - who were mostly very impressed.

It seems that to get the most out of the book one needs to read it a few times, and even practice the exercises the author recommends to get the fullest benefit from his wisdom.

I sincerely hope that you find it really beneficial to you, particularly in dealing with your 'Catholic guilt.' :^_^::angelblush:

adamrules247
I don't have access to a television but I will be watching on iPlayer tomorrow :smile:

One normally anticipates a programme that seeks to demean Catholicism with snidey asides in the media. However, this is refreshingly different. The commentator speaks mainly to give factual accounts regarding the processes followed by the seminarians, the building they occupy etc. On a couple of occasions he spoke only to ask questions that gave the opportunity to the seminarians to explain certain aspects of Catholic worship, and attitudes to their vocation and related matters...and the questions were asked in a respectful manner. Refreshing indeed...and it augurs well for the subsequent programmes that cover other sectors of the Catholic community.

Predictably though, 'The Times' TV critique disparaged it by calling it a "wasted opportunity." One doesn't have to wonder why, it is obvious he was hoping that 'some dirt could be dished' on the Church, calling the programme "anondyne and incurious." :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn

One normally anticipates a programme that seeks to demean Catholicism with snidey asides in the media. However, this is refreshingly different. The commentator speaks mainly to give factual accounts regarding the processes followed by the seminarians, the building they occupy etc. On a couple of occasions he spoke only to ask questions that gave the opportunity to the seminarians to explain certain aspects of Catholic worship, and attitudes to their vocation and related matters...and the questions were asked in a respectful manner. Refreshing indeed...and it augurs well for the subsequent programmes that cover other sectors of the Catholic community.

Just watched! Suprisingly refreshing, fantastic that there was only a tiny mentioned of the child sex abuse crisis. Overall an excellent programme. I can only hope and pray that the others will be as honest.

Predictably though, 'The Times' TV critique disparaged it by calling it a "wasted opportunity." One doesn't have to wonder why, it is obvious he was hoping that 'some dirt could be dished' on the Church, calling the programme "anondyne and incurious." :rolleyes:

No wonder. The Times has never liked the Church and remember that the editorial policy of the Times is that God doesn't exist. Shame I don't buy the Times otherwise I'd be interested in what the rest of the "review" says.
Original post by yawn
Thanks for the link. I read the synopsis and also several of the customer reviews - who were mostly very impressed.

It seems that to get the most out of the book one needs to read it a few times, and even practice the exercises the author recommends to get the fullest benefit from his wisdom.

I sincerely hope that you find it really beneficial to you, particularly in dealing with your 'Catholic guilt.' :^_^::angelblush:

Being Ignatian in spirit, it does seem very practical. Everything in there you can try and apply to your own life. It will take me a long time to do so but I think I could be a better person if I could live in the way outlined in the book. Though at the same time, the book shows me that I actually HAVE lived that way in the past (interestingly enough, at my most serious/dangerous time of illness) :colondollar:

Gonna have to watch this on iPlayer tonight. My dad was hogging the TV last night :frown:
Reply 3869
So turns out dancing can be a great way to pray! :awesome:
I've spent a lot of the last week learning and dancing Duggie Dug Dug songs to teach to year 3/4s.
Apparently my eyes glow :erm:

Oooh! I'm glad you've mentioned the Catholics tv show, I think it's got Fr Andrew in it, right? (or seminarian as he was then). I need to watch it so I can point at all the people I know!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3870
Original post by adamrules247

No wonder. The Times has never liked the Church and remember that the editorial policy of the Times is that God doesn't exist. Shame I don't buy the Times otherwise I'd be interested in what the rest of the "review" says.

I've retrieved the newspaper from the recycling bin (my dad must have thought I've gone insane, rooting through the bin!) I've typed it out (took me ages) and posted it here:

Spoiler

This critique evidences the desire to see a sensationalised account of the Church. His lack of knowledge is astounding especially since one would expect that a person employed to critique programmes would at least have some rudimentary knowledge of the subject matter. He didn't even mentioned how prospective seminarians are required to undergo strict examination of their reasons for entering "formation" because it obviously didn't suit his own bias.

He has totally missed the aims of the programme which is to present how Catholic men, women and children combine to make up the worshippers of a faith group - and not to dwell on one aspect of the 'frailities' of a very small minority of those worshippers in an attempt to increase the TV channel's viewing figures by perpetuating the media-spread impression that the church is rife with ephebophiles. The vast majority of abuse by priests who victimise persons under the age of 18 has taken the form of ephebophilia (not paedophila) -- involving post-pubertal youths who are often 16 or 17 years of age.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3871
Original post by Aula
So turns out dancing can be a great way to pray! :awesome:

Indeed it can - and is also a great way to show joy in one's love of God!

Q: In my church I was taught that dancing is sinful. What I have seen of dancing confirms this is right. How can your church condone dancing?

A: Given some of the dancing that has been portrayed in movies in recent years and imitated on dance floors, you are partly right. But not all dancing is "dirty dancing." Folk dancing, square dancing, ballroom dancing, and even many modern forms of dancing are not. Although you were advised against immoral dancing, what you were taught unjustly condemned all dancing. Keep in mind that the Bible shows dancing can be an expression of joy. The women of Israel danced after they crossed the Red Sea (Ex 15:20), and David danced before the ark of the covenant (2 Kgs 6:12-17).

Reply given by ‘Catholic Answers Staff’ on the website catholic.com
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3872
Original post by yawn
The other interviewees had the misfortune, for the film-maker, of sharing the same hair, specs and, in some cases, sweaters.

Fr Andrew and Mark are from the same home parish too :mmm:
There's a part of me that's a little sad that they didn't film Fr Andrew's first Mass. Then I could have pointed at the screen and gone "I was there"

Anyway, my main problem with the show is that it's supposed to be one episode on men, one on women, and one on children, but they've only looked at seminarian, with no views of Catholic men who don't feel called to the priesthood. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Original post by yawn
Indeed it can - and is also a great way to show joy in one's love of God!

Only problem is that I keep getting the songs in my head. I've had them in my head for pretty much the last week.

*Nothing's too big, big, big for his power! Nothing's too little little for his care*
Reply 3873
Original post by Aula
Fr Andrew and Mark are from the same home parish too :mmm:
There's a part of me that's a little sad that they didn't film Fr Andrew's first Mass. Then I could have pointed at the screen and gone "I was there"

Anyway, my main problem with the show is that it's supposed to be one episode on men, one on women, and one on children, but they've only looked at seminarian, with no views of Catholic men who don't feel called to the priesthood. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Fancy knowing two of the featured seminarians! Are you in the diocese of Westminster perhaps?

It's difficult for the production team I guess, to cover the three sections of Catholic population by focussing of two genders in one programme, particularly since the views of Catholic men and woman might be similar on most aspects. And by including priests, it gives people an insight that might dispel distortions about the priesthood perpetuated by the media.

Only problem is that I keep getting the songs in my head. I've had them in my head for pretty much the last week.

*Nothing's too big, big, big for his power! Nothing's too little little for his care*

Lol...I can empathise with that since the same thing happens to me. I remember the first time I heard 'Eagles wings' I couldn't get it out of my head and even sang it whilst doing chores around the house and whilst hanging washing on the line in the garden. Any neighbours listening would have thought I was loopy...but what better subject than God to have going around in one's head :biggrin:
Reply 3874
Original post by yawn
Fancy knowing two of the featured seminarians! Are you in the diocese of Westminster perhaps?

Yep, and I went to WYD with Westminster too, so I know a few seminarians from there.

It's difficult for the production team I guess, to cover the three sections of Catholic population by focussing of two genders in one programme, particularly since the views of Catholic men and woman might be similar on most aspects. And by including priests, it gives people an insight that might dispel distortions about the priesthood perpetuated by the media.

That's not what I meant. I meant in the episode on men they focussed exclusively on priests, and didn't look at lay Catholic men, or even Catholic men in other types of religious life. The next episode is on Catholic women.

Lol...I can empathise with that since the same thing happens to me. I remember the first time I heard 'Eagles wings' I couldn't get it out of my head and even sang it whilst doing chores around the house and whilst hanging washing on the line in the garden. Any neighbours listening would have thought I was loopy...but what better subject than God to have going around in one's head :biggrin:

Yeah, it could be worse. And at least hopefully I'll then still know them for the next time I have to teach them!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3875
Original post by Aula

Yep, and I went to WYD with Westminster too, so I know a few seminarians from there.

Ok...no wonder you recognised a couple of them then. The film did show the first Mass of one of the newly ordained priests. He wasn't one of the two you knew then?

That's not what I meant. I meant in the episode on men they focussed exclusively on priests, and didn't look at lay Catholic men, or even Catholic men in other types of religious life. The next episode is on Catholic women.

Yeah, I understood what you meant. However, if the production team is limited to three programmes only, there is such a lot to portray about priests that they would take up a whole programme...assuming that might have been the reason for the omission, the team thinking that at least they are covering lay women who presumably share a lot of the thinking of lay men. I do agree though that it would have been interesting to see their views on the aspects you mentioned. Nuns might also be a little peeved that they weren't portrayed either, come to that. :wink:

Yeah, it could be worse. And at least hopefully I'll then still know them for the next time I have to teach them!

You would think that you would after repeating the song in your head...or at loud like me...but I've forgotten most of the words of 'Eagles Wings' remembering only the chorus. But then you'll be seeing the children far sooner that the time that's lapsed since I first heard my hymn.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
I've retrieved the newspaper from the recycling bin (my dad must have thought I've gone insane, rooting through the bin!) I've typed it out (took me ages) and posted it here:

Spoiler

This critique evidences the desire to see a sensationalised account of the Church. His lack of knowledge is astounding especially since one would expect that a person employed to critique programmes would at least have some rudimentary knowledge of the subject matter. He didn't even mentioned how prospective seminarians are required to undergo strict examination of their reasons for entering "formation" because it obviously didn't suit his own bias.

He has totally missed the aims of the programme which is to present how Catholic men, women and children combine to make up the worshippers of a faith group - and not to dwell on one aspect of the 'frailities' of a very small minority of those worshippers in an attempt to increase the TV channel's viewing figures by perpetuating the media-spread impression that the church is rife with ephebophiles. The vast majority of abuse by priests who victimise persons under the age of 18 has taken the form of ephebophilia (not paedophila) -- involving post-pubertal youths who are often 16 or 17 years of age.

Wow! Thanks for typing that up! You really didn't have to :colondollar: Take it as time of Purgatory :biggrin:

I'm agreed with you, it's essentially a very poor article that refuses to look at any of the good. I found the Telegraph's review extremely good in all honesty.
Would appreciate extra prayer from all of you. I think I'm sliding back towards a major psychotic episode. These are worrying times :frown:

On a more positive note, things are quiet again at home so I should be able to watch the programme on iPlayer soon :biggrin:
Reply 3878
Would appreciate extra prayer from all of you. I think I'm sliding back towards a major psychotic episode. These are worrying times :frown:

On a more positive note, things are quiet again at home so I should be able to watch the programme on iPlayer soon :biggrin:

Andf yet you were so positive on Ash Wednesday...:frown:

You are always being prayed for, even in your good times - by this person 'yawn.' :console:

I would really appreciate some prayers for my cousin, her husband, family and especially for her unborn babe. She was so excited last week, going for the ultra sound scan that would reveal the sex of the baby. She's expecting a son and they have given him his name. The sad news is that he has a serious heart defect that, whilst not causing him danger in the uterus, will be very dangerous once he's born. He has very limited blood supply flowing through the left side of his heart. And if it is decided that he receives invasive treatment he'll need a heart transplant immediately he's born or three stage surgery starting at birth.

If he is to receive invasive treatment his life will still be limited and he will be a very sickly little boy. The other alternative is to treat him palliatively and keep him as comfortable as possible until he returns to heaven.:frown:

Please pray that, if it is God's will, he survives and is very happy for however long he dwells on earth. And also that his parents and close family receive the grace to cope with all that is involved in such a situation.

Thank you my friends.
I've said a prayer for this intention, yawn. What a sad situation to be in. Please keep us updated :yes:

Thanks for your prayers :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending