The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile: I have a few questions:

1. What is the general attitude towards international students? I'm Lithuanian and somewhat shy, so I'm scared I won't be able to make any friends.

2. Is studying Economics really that hard? I got an offer for MA Economics, but so far all I've read about Economics at St Andrews is that it's really difficult and boring.

3. Finally, a silly question: during my studies I'm planning to return home for both Christmas and Easter holidays, but flights from London are way, way cheaper than the ones from Edinburgh. Would it be too ridiculous to go to London by train from the Leuchars Railway Station and then fly home from there?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by EveIsBored
Hello :smile: I have a few questions:

1. What is the general attitude towards international students? I'm Lithuanian and somewhat shy, so I'm scared I won't be able to make any friends.

2. Is studying Economics really that hard? I got an offer for MA Economics, but so far all I've read about Economics at St Andrews is that it's really difficult and boring.

3. Finally, a silly question: during my studies I'm planning to return home for both Christmas and Easter holidays, but flights from London are way, way cheaper than the ones from Edinburgh. Would it be too ridiculous to go to London by train from the Leuchars Railway Station and then fly home from there?

1. St Andrews has a very diverse and international student body (including many Lithuanians). You would fit in very well and if you made the effort, you wouldn't struggle at all in making friends. And my 'making the effort', what I really mean is 'leave your room' :tongue:

2. It's just like any other economics degree I would imagine. It starts off quite slow in your 1st year as obviously everyone is at a different level but picks up the pace. The thing about economics is that you need to keep up as the semester goes on otherwise you're going to get totally lost.

3. That wouldn't be ridiculous if the overall cost is cheaper. However, remember you'll have to pay for a train from Leuchars to London and they can be very expensive.
So I have a few questions after receiving an offer, most of which are probably odd and unanswerable but any kind of help would be appreciated:

-Are there many people who travel to Glasgow/Edinburgh for gigs regularly? How difficult would this be?

-I feel as though there is an 'image' of a St Andrews student and fear that I will seem like an alien. Are there many 'alternative' people, those who stand out for being different, being into different things, etc?

-Is the university really as right wing/upper class as it seems?

-How difficult is it to find part time work?

Thanks in advance. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6803
Original post by electric-wars
So I have a few questions after receiving an offer, most of which are probably odd and unanswerable but any kind of help would be appreciated:

-Are there many people who travel to Glasgow/Edinburgh for gigs regularly? How difficult would this be?

-I feel as though there is an 'image' of a St Andrews student and fear that I will seem like an alien. Are there many 'alternative' people, those who stand out for being different, being into different things, etc?

1) I went to Edinburgh and Glasgow for concerts. And it's easy enough getting to them (assuming you don't have really busy afternoons), it's really the getting back. From Edinburgh, the last train back is usually about 11pm (buses stop running a lot earlier). From Glasgow, you won't be able to get back to St Andrews after about 10ish, so you would have to find somewhere to crash (I stayed with my brother in Edinburgh and took the first train back in the morning). But if you're more willing to miss lectures etc than I am, then it'll work if there's something you'd really like to go to.

2) What is this image?? Rich? Golfers? Intelligent? Drunks? We have all of those, but we have a ton of other people too. The uni is just as mixed as any other university is, with plenty of people who might consider themselves to be weird. But you'll be fine, there are all types and tons of societies that range from basically anything! :smile: If I can fit in (:wink:) then I bet you will!

3) I suppose some people are a bit upper class and some will be more right wing, but again, there is a big mix of people. Don't worry, the town isn't full of golf jumper wearing students. :wink: And as far as the university itself, it's so international and varied that you can't really define it. :tongue:

4) I looked in the couple of files of jobs available during Fresher's week in the Careers centre, and there were plenty. But depending on what subject you're doing, you might not have tons of time to do work, and the university recommends you don't work more than 15-20 hours a week.
But apart from that I'm not much use on the subject. :tongue:

I hope some of this helps. If not just ignore. :tongue:

Congratulations on your offer! It looks like Helsy has done a good job of answering your questions but I thought I'd just add a couple of things:

Firstly, if you want to meet like-minded people then societies are a really good way to do so - there are societies such as the Conservative & Union Society, but also Lib Dem and LeftSoc. You can see a full list of union-affiliated ones here if you're interested.

Part-time work is quite difficult to find because there seems to be quite a lot of competition for relatively few vacancies but if you're really determined then you should have a good chance at finding something. There is always Dundee to try as well if you can't find anything in town.

Good luck & I'm sure you'll fit in at St Andrews or wherever you choose :smile:
Can any of you remember whenabouts you got your offers last year? I'm getting nervous haha.. particularly for English!
Original post by doloroushazy
Can any of you remember whenabouts you got your offers last year? I'm getting nervous haha.. particularly for English!

Not sure how much help it will be, but I got an offer for history last year on the 1st March :smile:
Would I be bored at st andrews?
Hi, I came to st andrews last week to have a look round and loved it, and the course sounds absolutely amazing. My one doubt however is the social life (or lack of????) I like to go out and have a good time, although that doesn't have to be a club, could be a pub or party or whatever, and im more than happy to join loads of clubs and societies etc, also I'm quite sporty. I'm just worried because its such a tiny town and I'm used to living in a big city, is it too much of a culture shock, and is there enough to do at night? Thanks so much for any replies.
Reply 6808
Original post by 16bridges
Would I be bored at st andrews?
Hi, I came to st andrews last week to have a look round and loved it, and the course sounds absolutely amazing. My one doubt however is the social life (or lack of????) I like to go out and have a good time, although that doesn't have to be a club, could be a pub or party or whatever, and im more than happy to join loads of clubs and societies etc, also I'm quite sporty. I'm just worried because its such a tiny town and I'm used to living in a big city, is it too much of a culture shock, and is there enough to do at night? Thanks so much for any replies.

There tonnes of pubs, if you're sporty, even better. Join the Girls' Hockey club, you'll be constantly pissed.
Reply 6809
I'm wondering how LGBT life is at St Andrews. I know there is a society, but are they active? And how is the attitude generally towards LGBT people?
Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by perlsh
I'm wondering how LGBT life is at St Andrews. I know there is a society, but are they active? And how is the attitude generally towards LGBT people?
Any help would be appreciated :smile:

I was about to ask the exact same thing. :smile:
Original post by Helsy

Original post by hayheyley

Thank you both for your answers, they were very helpful. :smile:
Do you guys ever (be honest!) get bored of living in such a small town?
Reply 6812

Honestly I never do, I think its because there is always something going on or something to be involved in. Its hard to explain but St Andrews is kind of like a city thats been stuffed in a shoe.. there's a good mix of everything (mostly) and its all conveniently located at your doorstep. But if you do start to get a bit of cabin fever Dundee is only 30 mins away and Edinburgh isn't far away either for a trip out!
Reply 6813

Me personally, no. Tons of stuff always going on with the different societies and then there are the general uni stuff too. And you can always go out and about with mates etc.

Then again, I feel like I work constantly (typical me :wink:) so I don't have time to notice if town is boring. :biggrin:

But no, town isn't too small.
Just wish it had decent pizza. :tongue:
Original post by facepalm
Heya, just got an offer from St Andrews to read History, was just wondering, and I know this seems like a weird question, but what is the drug scene like at St Andrews? Because I know its not really a clubbing place and thus you might think that a drug scene might be pretty non-existent, but a mate of mine told me recently that its fairly druggy.

St Andrews's drug scene is very small/subdued. You wonn't have too much difficulty getting hold of some cannabis or whatever on occasion, but there is very little market for anything harder & you won't find dealers hanging around on street corners by the bus station like you might in London.

Dundee, in contrast, has a very active drug scene & you'll probably find whatever you want there & for much cheaper than you might find it in St Andrews - most of what you find in St Andrews will have come from Dundee anyway.
Reply 6815
Original post by Helsy

But no, town isn't too small.
Just wish it had decent pizza. :tongue:

May I take this as an opportunity to invite you to come to my place at some point to be served self-made pizza? :smile:
Reply 6816
Original post by Sappho
May I take this as an opportunity to invite you to come to my place at some point to be served self-made pizza? :smile:

Ahaha! Sure! I'd make it to if I didn't feel so tired at the end of the day. :biggrin:

I agree with the others - I haven't ever felt bored of living here, but I generally don't like cities much anyway so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I haven't even gone to Dundee yet (although I have been to some other cities for the day with friends).
I have just been having a quick look at accommodation and noticed on McIntosh Hall, which I like the look of, that the majority of first years share a room. Has anyone had any experience of this? How did you find it? Or is majority a bit of an exaggeration?

I also like the look of University Hall, McIntosh Hall is just maybe better located.
Original post by platty1907
I have just been having a quick look at accommodation and noticed on McIntosh Hall, which I like the look of, that the majority of first years share a room. Has anyone had any experience of this? How did you find it? Or is majority a bit of an exaggeration?

I also like the look of University Hall, McIntosh Hall is just maybe better located.

In McIntosh there are around 100 shared rooms and about 60-odd singles. A lot of the singles are pre-allocated to returning students, but I do know a few people who were in a single in their first year.

The majority of people in hall get on really well with their roommates, I'm not going to lie, I didn't have the best time with mine, but half of my group of friends were roommates with the other half (if that makes sense...) so it's more likely than not that sharing a room wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hope that helps a bit.

Latest