The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I think they're pretty even, maybe Southampton edges Lancaster though/ Take a look at the courses, I know Lancaster is quite bent towards statistics. Something I should have look at prior to choosing it because I really want to do mostly pure.

Depends on areas of the country too!!
I would say lancaster but thats because i have an offer for there! :P
I have come to a realisation that i have 3.5 months appx to complete all of further maths a2 (im self teaching) wowowowowowow im scared now....i gotta stop slacking:frown:
Original post by lifesabeach
great response, thanks!! about my profile, i wrote that when i was sure about imperial. since then however i have been slightly worried about the student social life and the bad male to female ratio for males! As you have said, imperial has a greater maths rep (COWI and all that) so I will be firming imperial (or durham which I will decide on when I visit in March). My head says imperial will benefit my career, as I want to work in the city. And my heart, well I think its my 'heart', says Durham because I enjoying achieving, but also partying and enjoying my self :smile:

If it helps - I went to Imperial and had a great time there (in fact, bizarrely one of the reasons I chose Imperial was because I knew I'd have a good time there). I won't pretend everyone had as good a time there as I did but most of my friends loved it there too.

We also knew how to party and have a good time (in fact, those of us who didn't go to lectures in the later years ended up doing better than those that studied all the time - I missed about 90% of my lectures in my fourth year and did absolutely fine in my degree).

Please don't think of Imperial as merely a place to just do work!

For those of you who didn't apply to Imperial or aren't firming/insuring, the wider point is that you will have a good time at almost any university you go to, so long as you go with an open mind and make the most of the opportunity.

Finally, as stupid as this sounds, please don't pick your university based on supposed career prospects. The last few years have shown me that what university you go to has little bearing on your career progression. Some of the people I work with didn't go to a COWI university but they sure as heck know their stuff and can certainly deal with anything my job throws at them. I guess it goes back to my point of making the best of wherever you end up.
Original post by einstein123
Yeah i think so and they give you like a pack aswell!

I found my leeds letter..... :smile:
Original post by BeccaCath94

I found my leeds letter..... :smile:

LOl, Good!:smile:
Unconditional for Maths (BSc) at St. Andrews, WOOOOOOHHH! That's 5/5... now to decide...
It is results day two weeks tomorrow!!!! :eek:
What are people hoping for (or realistically think they've got) in their maths modules from january?
Good luck everyone!!

I did C3. FP1 and D1. I think I should've got an A in FP1 and D1 which will make me feel better about C3 because that could be a C........ :frown: I feel a resit coming on!!
What are people hoping for (or realistically think they've got) in their maths modules from january?
Good luck everyone!!

I did C3. FP1 and D1. I think I should've got an A in FP1 and D1 which will make me feel better about C3 because that could be a C........ :frown: I feel a resit coming on!!

was that AQA c3 by any chance?
Good luck everyone!!

Oh yay results day. Erm I think 100 in C3, 100 in M2 and like 95 in C4
Going for 100 in M2 and M3 and a B/C grade in D1
Original post by In One Ear
was that AQA c3 by any chance?

No no it was edexcel C3. But everyone in my year (even the year 9 who sat the exam with us), found it different/harder than any other paper!
Fingers crossed!

Original post by maths134
Oh yay results day. Erm I think 100 in C3, 100 in M2 and like 95 in C4

Which exam board are you on?
Good luck!
No no it was edexcel C3. But everyone in my year (even the year 9 who sat the exam with us), found it different/harder than any other paper!
Fingers crossed!

Which exam board are you on?
Good luck!

Edexcel aka the **** one :smile: and thanks you to
Original post by maths134
Edexcel aka the **** one :smile: and thanks you to

haha well i've not experienced any other for maths and edexcel has stood me well with maths so far...
Reply 4833
Conditional for Maths (G100) and Maths and Chem (GF11) at the University of Glasgow!! Both courses wanting AAAB! Think that that will be my firm and Edinburgh Maths (G100) (ABBB) my insurance!
Reply 4834
anyone heard from UCL recently? :frown:
Anyone at the Warwick Day today? I was in group B, I thought Ian Slaters one was really good as was the one in MS.02! I felt Anne Andrews was a tad easy though.
Anyone at the Warwick Day today? I was in group B, I thought Ian Slaters one was really good as was the one in MS.02! I felt Anne Andrews was a tad easy though.

yeh i was. i was in the green group. Ian Slaters one was bad for me because i haven't learnt the binomial expansion in C4 and couldn't remember it from C2.
Original post by jilebinator
yeh i was. i was in the green group. Ian Slaters one was bad for me because i haven't learnt the binomial expansion in C4 and couldn't remember it from C2.

Oh, I suppose you come to the Wednesday classes too then?! :smile: Ah right I see, yeah I forgot the notation at first but I got it quickly enough. He did remind us but he gave the really indepth explanation, but still A-level mind.
Anyone going to the Bath day next Wed? (aka 29th)

Results day is worrying me, hated D2 and M2.
Oh, I suppose you come to the Wednesday classes too then?! :smile: Ah right I see, yeah I forgot the notation at first but I got it quickly enough. He did remind us but he gave the really indepth explanation, but still A-level mind.

i don't come to the wednesday classes, my surname begins with s so i was put in the green group.

i thought it was quite good overall!

Latest