The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3060
Original post by iamlovinit05
Hmm, maybe bringing about 1-2k pounds in cah physically? the rest will be in the bank. probably hsbc or something, still undecided.
How about you?

i have only heard from my friends that they use hsbc but i am not really sure about that yet. my parents said that probably the uni will advise us which is the more trustable bank so maybe we will decide when we get there.
so far i checked out of the banks in sg, only hsbc is more commonly seen in uk too.
Original post by jonobebe
if u want to change money, go chinatown. from the exit facing people's park complex, turn left and walk towards the place selling alot of china food. at the edge is a money changer with very good rates. u will see people queuing everyday.

iamlovinit05, how much cash u intending to bring?

whitelily29, i have already chose my accom and eagerly waiting for 16april where i will be the first to chiong in and book. LOL! sometimes i felt so embarrassed of myself i am so kiasu that i finished buying all warm clothes and packing my luggage, did a google map scan of the uni surroundings and buses available and even check out which of my favourite shops are available in city center. :colondollar:

oh ya another thing u guys can probably do is to get some reference books for your course. i've heard that the books in uk is pretty expensive.

how i wish i can get there earlier to settle down but accom contract only starts on 1st sept.

Yeah! I saw that queue before. The rates must be awesome.
Ohhh yeah, it works differently for your school (:
You've packed your luggage? Please tell me it's still February..
I've downloaded google earth and located the uni and accommodation. Haven't checked out shops and transport and stuff. Keeping the excitement for later. Or else the excitement for me will just drop until I don't feel like leaving. ):

At least your contract starts on the 1st of september (: Mine starts the saturday before school term begins!
(edited 12 years ago)
i have only heard from my friends that they use hsbc but i am not really sure about that yet. my parents said that probably the uni will advise us which is the more trustable bank so maybe we will decide when we get there.
so far i checked out of the banks in sg, only hsbc is more commonly seen in uk too.

You guys changed yet? I heard the moneychanger at Arcade is pretty good as well.
Reply 3063
You guys changed yet? I heard the moneychanger at Arcade is pretty good as well.

haven't change... which Arcade? near where?
Reply 3064
Original post by whitelily29
Yeah! I saw that queue before. The rates must be awesome.
Ohhh yeah, it works differently for your school (:
You've packed your luggage? Please tell me it's still February..
I've downloaded google earth and located the uni and accommodation. Haven't checked out shops and transport and stuff. Keeping the excitement for later. Or else the excitement for me will just drop until I don't feel like leaving. ):

At least your contract starts on the 1st of september (: Mine starts the saturday before school term begins!

yes i know its very early and my parents cant stand me too lol!
if my contract starts 2 days before sch term i am really going to freak out!!! so worried that i couldnt finish settle the admin stuffs!
Anybody gng to LSE for Law?
Reply 3066
Original post by huntethan
anyone going to bath?

I usually do after a workout.
haven't change... which Arcade? near where?

Arcade is at Raffles Place, next to Change Alley/Chevron House. You can shop around for rates there as there are many (and I mean many) money changers there. I highly suggest you go during off-peak (i.e. non-lunch) hours as the queue can be quite insane.
Ok so bank accounts, anyone knows how to set up an account from here?
How do you guys pay your school deposit/other deposits?

I'm going to firm my offer real soon so i needa get all this stuff settled asap haha.
HSBC's the only option right?
Reply 3069
The bigger ones are Barclay and HSBC.

I am not so sure about Barclay but for HSBC, you can open an account from here only if your parents are HSBC Premier account holders. Otherwise, you have to be physically there to open an account.
Original post by GW1993
The bigger ones are Barclay and HSBC.

I am not so sure about Barclay but for HSBC, you can open an account from here only if your parents are HSBC Premier account holders. Otherwise, you have to be physically there to open an account.

I see. Are you a premier member? If not how did you pay your school deposit and stuff? ( we have to do that before going there right?)
Reply 3071
You can just do a TT (telegraphic transfer) to the uni's bank account using your Singapore's bank account.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3072
GW1993 is correct. when u receive the uni package, they will tell u how to transfer the deposit to them. most reccomended is TT, other than that u can send a cheque.

it would be the best to go there physically and open a bank account. because we are foreigners, so we need to show the documents (UCAS confirmation letter, CAS, visa, passport, etc) to qualify for a student bank account. and my friends reccomend hsbc.

i have heard someone on the other thread saying that if u want to use an iphone there, its best to buy a sim card from giff gaff, because the deal is quite good. a uk sim card from the giff gaff network cost £10 a month. 300 mins, unlimited texts and data, can be canceled at any time, unlimited calls to fellow giff gaffers.

wonder if giff gaff is available in scotland? :smile:
GW1993 is correct. when u receive the uni package, they will tell u how to transfer the deposit to them. most reccomended is TT, other than that u can send a cheque.

it would be the best to go there physically and open a bank account. because we are foreigners, so we need to show the documents (UCAS confirmation letter, CAS, visa, passport, etc) to qualify for a student bank account. and my friends reccomend hsbc.

i have heard someone on the other thread saying that if u want to use an iphone there, its best to buy a sim card from giff gaff, because the deal is quite good. a uk sim card from the giff gaff network cost £10 a month. 300 mins, unlimited texts and data, can be canceled at any time, unlimited calls to fellow giff gaffers.

wonder if giff gaff is available in scotland? :smile:

Wow thats really cheap, cheaper then singapore's iphone plan. Thats prepaid right i guess?
Reply 3074
Wow thats really cheap, cheaper then singapore's iphone plan. Thats prepaid right i guess?

it wasnt mentioned, but i guess it is. i heard my friend uses something like this but the carrier is something like "tescomobile"..

i guess the prepaids are generally cheap. probably even no need to sign on a line.
it wasnt mentioned, but i guess it is. i heard my friend uses something like this but the carrier is something like "tescomobile"..

i guess the prepaids are generally cheap. probably even no need to sign on a line.

Thats's really good. I just hope my iphone doesnt die on me anytime soon. But i have been using since April 2011. I dont think it'll survive anytime after mid 2013.
Reply 3076
Thats's really good. I just hope my iphone doesnt die on me anytime soon. But i have been using since April 2011. I dont think it'll survive anytime after mid 2013.

i had mine since jan 2011, changed it 3 times during the warranty period, and now the thing is hay-wired again.
i've heard apple releasing something in 3rd quarter of this year.. hope my parents will be kind on me haha!
i had mine since jan 2011, changed it 3 times during the warranty period, and now the thing is hay-wired again.
i've heard apple releasing something in 3rd quarter of this year.. hope my parents will be kind on me haha!

My battery's weak and my phone keeps losing reception, even when it is left alone on the table. Hopefully I can get it changed.
Reply 3078
My battery's weak and my phone keeps losing reception, even when it is left alone on the table. Hopefully I can get it changed.

I hope the upcoming model will be durable... Cant wait for it :smile:
Reply 3079
Based on experience, which one is better? iphone or blackberry? considering one of the two...

Quick Reply

Latest