The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Hi guys,
I got an email from ECA and I passed part 1 of the process and now have an Applicant Day. I havent been able to find an answer to this question but it looks like we dont actually get an interview? They look at our folio without us and then we leave. Is this the final part of the process or do people then move on to an interview?
Thanks
Original post by joverbena
They sent me a very highbrow reading list now too which i can type if anyone's interested.

oh yes pleeeeeeease!! i would be so grateful! you could pm it to me if no one else is interested :biggrin:

i got a rejection from the slade yesterday which i was absolutely expecting. my work is far from traditional and i just found out they've only ever taken one person from our foundation in the last 10 years.

but i got an interview for BAFAHA!!!!! can't stop thinking about all the work i haven't done. and need to do. and all the reading i said i've done. and need to do. :K:
Original post by CuriousGeorgie
oh yes pleeeeeeease!! i would be so grateful! you could pm it to me if no one else is interested :biggrin:

i got a rejection from the slade yesterday which i was absolutely expecting. my work is far from traditional and i just found out they've only ever taken one person from our foundation in the last 10 years.

but i got an interview for BAFAHA!!!!! can't stop thinking about all the work i haven't done. and need to do. and all the reading i said i've done. and need to do. :K:

I will PM you it in the morning! (it's 3.48am now and i'm just passing..)

You sound exactly like me with the work you need to do..!! Huge congratulations with the BAFAHA! I should hear in the next 24 hours i think, braced for rejection..

And I'm so worn and tired i just fell asleep for about 5 hours sitting upwards with my laptop next top me...how bad is that. my head aches....
Original post by TFsean
Hi guys,
I got an email from ECA and I passed part 1 of the process and now have an Applicant Day. I havent been able to find an answer to this question but it looks like we dont actually get an interview? They look at our folio without us and then we leave. Is this the final part of the process or do people then move on to an interview?
Thanks

Congratulations on that!! Which course is this for??
Reply 924
Original post by cocacola123
Congratulations on that!! Which course is this for??

Painting, I've applied to illustration too but havent heard back yet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Princeling
Hi guys, congratulations on your interviews for Goldsmiths!

I just got a rejection from Slade. :/ Without interview, yet again. I have interviews for Goldsmtihs and Chelsea, and I find it a real bummer that I didn't even get an interview for UCL. Definitely don't understand their standards at all or what they're looking for, but whatever. I'm going to go and do my best to get into unis I did get interviews for. :tongue:

Original post by joelchan
Ahhh Man I did too :/ Oh well I'll live. I still have Lancaster. Has anyone heard from CSM?

Original post by Village Whisper
And me. Oh well, I knew it was coming. I had to get my sister to look first though, I was terrified it might be Brighton and I'm not ready for that rejection yet!

Original post by rayray12310
ooo snap with the ucl rejection, tho it really was to be expected

are any of u going to ask for feedback? it might be useful but idk, the email could be kinda awkward

I got my rejection yesterday, was expecting it but wasn't expecting the 'slap on the face' email haha anyone else felt it was a bit 'two fingers in your face' you will never be good enough kinda thing
Reply 926
Yeah got the email yesterday too. And that's exactly how I felt. But I didn't expect much more.
Reply 927
Original post by TFsean
Hi guys,
Thanks

ME TOO! :biggrin: For graphic design

Well done!
Original post by apretentiousartist
All the reasons you have stated for them 'not' looking at your work, I think are actually evidence that they did look at it! They 'had a good rummage of your sheets'... That is probably because they were looking at your work! They opened your sketchbooks too? Oh yes! That might be a sign they looked in them too...

It sounds unfortunate that they didn't look in your little folder of most recent work, but that simply seems unlucky.

You don't feel you wasted your time... but you don't like the Slade, and that's not based upon the fact you didn't get an interview... Doesn't add up to me.

Might be a case of bitter reject syndrome.

Atleast you now know that you apparently don't like institutions judging you based upon your portfolio!

**** you. I'm really glad 3 other people negged you for that. What a complete ****. I clearly said that they DID look at my other work, but they DIDN'T look at my most recent work which I SPECIFICALLY ORGANISED AND FINISHED for their benefit. How dare you call it a "little folder" and be so disgustingly patronising?!?! There shouldn't be anything "unlucky" about it WHEN I PAID THEM TO LOOK THROUGH IT ALL.

I am using caps here because you clearly are very selective in what you choose to read and comment on, so I'm highlighting the important bits in case you feel the reason for this is that your time is too precious. A bit like the Slade. Maybe you'd like to be paid for your attention, too?

You are being such a ****. And believe it or not, I don't care if it "doesn't add up" to you. You're not all that important, you know. If you can't be pleasant (and yes, you started it a while ago), I think I speak for at least a few other people on this thread when I say we'd rather you didn't bother posting here at all. This was a nice, helpful thread before people like you started causing stupid little arguments for apparently no reason other than maybe to make yourself feel "special".
Original post by joverbena
I have got to the nervous stage for my Wimbledon painting interview friday. As it stands it's the one i most want to go to. Especially as i moved into a fulham broadway flatshare for my foundation course so its an ideal location. Love the peace and space too.

Just seen the brighton Critical Fine Art practice invitation letter now im home, it looks SO excitingly formal and serious, especially since iv had 2 rejections in the same design (i applied for illustration there no less than 3 times since leaving school!- now i realize i was doing the wrong subject! They sent me a very highbrow reading list now too which i can type if anyone's interested.

I wouldn't mind a look at the reading list either if that's ok? I have about 5 printed out and stuck to my wall but I've barely read anything :colondollar:
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
I wouldn't mind a look at the reading list either if that's ok? I have about 5 printed out and stuck to my wall but I've barely read anything :colondollar:

I WANT IT TOOOOOOOOOOO
just post it here plz x
Original post by kindkydinky
I got my rejection yesterday, was expecting it but wasn't expecting the 'slap on the face' email haha anyone else felt it was a bit 'two fingers in your face' you will never be good enough kinda thing

Wasn't it? :/ I mean, rejection? Fine. Hearing it through track? Fine. But reading the text accompanied: "Your application has been unsuccessful. Due to the intense competition for places on this programme of study, UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your portfolio was not as strong as that of other applicants."

...When clearly art is such a subjective course of study. :/ My tutor did say today that Slade has a tendency to interview/take applicants who work primarily or strongly in one medium, and the two guys who have an interview certainly suit that criteria, and it does seem the Slade's course is set up in that way (painting, sculpture, fine art media).

Oh well, moving on and forwards!
Reply 932
I got rejected from UCL yesterday, (pretty much expected though) and just got an offer from Reading (for the Art BA) and Kingston for foundation.

Can anyone tell me what Reading's like in comparison to Kingston? Reading is higher up in the ranking tables
but I know they aren't reliable.

Still waiting on Dundee and Edinburgh (for illustration), my stomach is being eaten alive by butterflies :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Wasn't it? :/ I mean, rejection? Fine. Hearing it through track? Fine. But reading the text accompanied: "Your application has been unsuccessful. Due to the intense competition for places on this programme of study, UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your portfolio was not as strong as that of other applicants."

...When clearly art is such a subjective course of study. :/ My tutor did say today that Slade has a tendency to interview/take applicants who work primarily or strongly in one medium, and the two guys who have an interview certainly suit that criteria, and it does seem the Slade's course is set up in that way (painting, sculpture, fine art media).

Well if that is the case, DAMNNNNN, my tutor advised me to take a range of work in various media, which makes perfect sense as you are showing you have experimented and etc. The funny thing is though, I love paint, pretty much 90% of my work is paint based and if I had known that's what Slade have wanted me to present I wonder if it would have got me an interview, although, I doubt it still. My grades are ACC so maybe that's where the main problem lies, I just wanted to see if my work would get me by, clearly not :biggrin:

And yes! It was the "UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your portfolio was not as strong as that of other applicants" bit that killed me. If I had balls, I imagine that's what it would feel like to be kicked, at least metaphorically.
Original post by TFsean
Hi guys,
Thanks

Yes, they look at your portfolio while you are given a tour or something similar. There is no interview. That's the only stage. When my son had his review, the labels had come off his work somehow, so he had to hang around at the end re-sorting his stuff and making it clear which ones belonged to him, and he got talking to the lecturers by accident. He reckons that's what got him in!
Original post by Phlan
I got rejected from UCL yesterday, (pretty much expected though) and just got an offer from Reading (for the Art BA) and Kingston for foundation.

Can anyone tell me what Reading's like in comparison to Kingston? Reading is higher up in the ranking tables
but I know they aren't reliable.

Still waiting on Dundee and Edinburgh (for illustration), my stomach is being eaten alive by butterflies :s-smilie:

I don't know about Reading vs. Kingston, but last year a girl in my A-Level art class went to Reading to do the 4 year course (I don't know if there's more than one) instead of doing a foundation, because apparently the first year is similar to the foundation. You probably already knew that, but maybe it's worth thinking about since if you did the Kingston foundation you'd have to apply again afterwards if you wanted to do a BA. If you did the Reading course, you would obviously already have the next 3 years sorted (assuming you liked it). Then again, Princeling said something about an internal interview for Kingston if you're on the foundation course, so maybe it'd be a bit easier to get onto their BA course (if that's how it works).

That's all pretty hypothetical, though. I've heard good things about the Kingston foundation, but I don't know how it compares to Reading. Since they're different courses, maybe you should think more about which you like the sound of more instead of which is "better"? Or even think about the locations. I wouldn't base it on league tables, though :smile:
Reply 936
Original post by Village Whisper
I don't know about Reading vs. Kingston, but last year a girl in my A-Level art class went to Reading to do the 4 year course (I don't know if there's more than one) instead of doing a foundation, because apparently the first year is similar to the foundation. You probably already knew that, but maybe it's worth thinking about since if you did the Kingston foundation you'd have to apply again afterwards if you wanted to do a BA. If you did the Reading course, you would obviously already have the next 3 years sorted (assuming you liked it). Then again, Princeling said something about an internal interview for Kingston if you're on the foundation course, so maybe it'd be a bit easier to get onto their BA course (if that's how it works).

That's all pretty hypothetical, though. I've heard good things about the Kingston foundation, but I don't know how it compares to Reading. Since they're different courses, maybe you should think more about which you like the sound of more instead of which is "better"? Or even think about the locations. I wouldn't base it on league tables, though :smile:

Yeah they said that it is much easier to get on the degree course from the foundation and tutors have the final say when I was over at my interview.

The reading course description says it's mostly for Fine art as well and that's
no longer my aesthetic... but I'm probably gunning for Edinburgh.

Thanks for the advice though :smile:

Wow what a dig and salt rubbage in the wound!
Original post by Phlan
Yeah they said that it is much easier to get on the degree course from the foundation and tutors have the final say when I was over at my interview.

The reading course description says it's mostly for Fine art as well and that's
no longer my aesthetic... but I'm probably gunning for Edinburgh.

Thanks for the advice though :smile:

It sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind, then! :smile:

If you're not convinced about the fine art course, I'd do the foundation. If you get into Edinburgh (fingers crossed!), and you're sure you'd rather do illustration, I'd go there because it sounds like that's your first choice. If you have any doubts about illustration vs. fine art (like me haha), I'd do the foundation just to make sure. You sound a lot more decisive than me about that, though...I keep sort of floating between the two. Oh well, good luck with Edinburgh and Dundee :smile:
Still nothing from Goldsmiths. Maybe they are doing it alphabetically:frown:

OK all here is the reading list sent to me as an interviewee for Critical Fine Art Practice.

It's a hand out that says 'Don't Panic" on the front with lots of blah blah, saying on the first year of the course we will be introduced to Art Theory, and it's a bit like philosophy where the main questions are trying to answer : Who are we? What are we doing here (and now) What should we be doing? - Then we respond to these questions through art.

It's a good idea to acquire the habit of reading for a couple of hours each day (!)

The only book you should really by at the outset is the first on the list: Art in Theory: 1900-2000
Reliable narration of the progression of 20th century art.

Reading List (I won't put the descriptions because that would just be masochistic of me)

ESSENTIAL:
-Charles Harrison and Paul Wood: Art in Theory 1900-2000
-Hal Foster et al : Art Since 1900 (Thams and Hudson)
-Alan How: Critical Theory (Palgrave Macmillan)
-John Lechte: Fifty Key Contemporary Thinkers: From Structuralism to postmodernity (Routledge)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:
-Hal Foster(ed): Anti-Aesthetic: Essays on Postmodern Culture (New Press)
-Tony Godfrey:Conceptual Art (Phaidon)
-Madan Sarup: And introductory Guide to Post-Structuralism and Postmodernism (Harvester Wheatsheaf 1993)
-Katy Deepwell (ed) New Feminist Art Criticism (Manchester University Press)

NOTEWORTHY:
-Nicolas Bourriaud: Post Production: Culture as Screenplay: How Art Reprograms the World
-Jacques Ranciere: The Future of the Image

THEORY IN THE PARK (books that do theory by other means, metaphorical/fictional/anecdotal etc)
-Jorge Luis Borges: Labyrinths
-Lewis Carroll: Alice in Wonderland (CHECK!)
- Matthew Collings: Blimey! - From Bohemia to Britpop: The London Art World from Francis Bacon to Damien Hirst
- W G Seabald: Vertigo (Vintage)

Phew....

Quick Reply

Latest