The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3100
Original post by kathlovestea
I'm curious as to how you know you passed I've been informed that this information will only be available once everyone's score has been collated.

In general I'm impressed with the organisation of this compared to last year.

I found the time limit on the tests to be a little harsh, but maybe it's just because it's been so long since I sat a test.

I think this is a pass/faill test to attenuate the intensity of applications so that the pass applications will be progressed and the fail ones NO CHANCE , the collated note written there is related to the answers of the essay questions not for the aptitude scores maybe you didnt noticed that some applicants received a fail messege from the website. :rolleyes:
I see, so your test scores may still contribute to the shortlisting criteria past this point. Oh well, fingers crossed!
Reply 3102
Original post by kathlovestea
I see, so your test scores may still contribute to the shortlisting criteria past this point. Oh well, fingers crossed!

they will evaluate both the answers of the essay questions and the test scores if you have been evalauted good for both the tests and the essay answers you will surely be shortlisted , if you have c mark for the ap test you will be kept in reserve list. but mainly the overall weight of the scores will depend hugely on the essay answers since they reflect what they'r looking for. :rolleyes:
Original post by 25121982
they will evaluate both the answers of the essay questions and the test scores if you have been evalauted good for both the tests and the essay answers you will surely be shortlisted , if you have c mark for the ap test you will be kept in reserve list. but mainly the overall weight of the scores will depend hugely on the essay answers since they reflect what they'r looking for. :rolleyes:

That's good to know because I don't think I did that great in the tests to be honest.
IMPORTANT Please note there is a minimum pass mark for our Logical Reasoning & Numerical Reasoning tests. If you do not meet this benchmark you will not be permitted to continue to take any further tests regardless of where you are in the process. Meeting this minimum pass mark does not guarantee that you will be shortlisted for the interview section it means you are kept in the selection process until we have reviewed all test results after the closing date

Anyone guess what the minimum pass mark could be? possibly a C in the practice tests?
Reply 3105
Original post by singh-1
IMPORTANT Please note there is a minimum pass mark for our Logical Reasoning & Numerical Reasoning tests. If you do not meet this benchmark you will not be permitted to continue to take any further tests regardless of where you are in the process. Meeting this minimum pass mark does not guarantee that you will be shortlisted for the interview section it means you are kept in the selection process until we have reviewed all test results after the closing date

Anyone guess what the minimum pass mark could be? possibly a C in the practice tests?

Each question corresponds to 5% of the test mark means if you have a 20 , 20*5% = 100 % , so, the pass mark for this is 50 % , i think they are putting these tests to measure our ability of critical thinking in a short period of time , so that they assemble the good ones and neglect the failure , since if we were hired by them NHS STP they will force us to set for a weekly based test during the training period so that the training coordinator report our progression to there managers.
Reply 3106
Original post by 25121982
Each question corresponds to 5% of the test mark means if you have a 20 , 20*5% = 100 % , so, the pass mark for this is 50 % , i think they are putting these tests to measure our ability of critical thinking in a short period of time , so that they assemble the good ones and neglect the failure , since if we were hired by them NHS STP they will force us to set for a weekly based test during the training period so that the training coordinator report our progression to there managers.

How do you know the pass rate is 50% they can set it to what ever they want, although its probably not far off. There are no weekly tests on the programme, just learning outcomes to fullfil which is assessed via evidence gathered and watching you and questioning you
somebody please help!

i've just started filling out the appplication....have i got enough time to fill it out, taking into account i work full time.

Also, i cant get my head round the form, i filled in personal preferences, but it does not let me go back to it to make changes......ne1 else have the same problems....please help, thanx.
Original post by bioblue
How do you know the pass rate is 50% they can set it to what ever they want, although its probably not far off. There are no weekly tests on the programme, just learning outcomes to fullfil which is assessed via evidence gathered and watching you and questioning you

I'm wondering this as well. Where is this poster getting all this information from? :confused:
Reply 3109
Original post by laura130490
I'm wondering this as well. Where is this poster getting all this information from? :confused:

They're a spy!! They're an NHS employee spying on our activity and discussions!!!

(joke!)

:biggrin:
Original post by ChiBo
They're a spy!! They're an NHS employee spying on our activity and discussions!!!

(joke!)

:biggrin:

Lmao! Let's hope they're just trying to scare people, I don't like the sound of weekly tests :K:
Reply 3111
Original post by twinkazz
Emily996:

I'm in the same boat as you! Applied last year for Medical Physics, got to interview then made some silly mistakes.

I've done the practice test for the logical one and it seems to be working out what the next element in the sequence is. But time is very tough. I can only assume this is what the actual test will be like too, though of course, we'll have to try to find out!

As far as the numerical tests go, I had to do one for the post I currently hold in the NHS. They are also tough, but you just have to get on and not panic on any single question. If you are stuck guess it and move on!

As far as I know, the course is structured where you spend 3 months a year at the university then the rest of the time at the workplace. This results in you spending about a year at university over the 3 years of the course which seems about right for a masters course. One of my friends is currently doing the scheme and informs me that the NHS provides accommodation for the 3 months at uni (it would be very hard to rent for that period of time!).

Hope that helps...

Thank you for replying to me, that information is really useful - i can just put the placements I actually want now without worrying about the university part :smile: Good luck with your application!

I'm definitely starting to over-think things, I've recently been wondering if each 'essay question' will be marked by a different person and according to fairly strict criteria (like the interviews) because obviously I'd answer them differently depending on whether they are going to be read together or independently.
Original post by cookie 999
somebody please help!

i've just started filling out the appplication....have i got enough time to fill it out, taking into account i work full time.

Also, i cant get my head round the form, i filled in personal preferences, but it does not let me go back to it to make changes......ne1 else have the same problems....please help, thanx.

You have time!!! Get through the tedious parts as quick as you can so you can spend time on the essay questions (very important part of the application).

Also a few ppl including myself have had similar problems with trying to go back to previous pages...send msg via technical queries tab (at top of page) asking them to sort the prob - they were quick to respond to me...

Good luck!!!
With regards to the numeric questions are they similar to those on the PSL site. In all honesty I found it a little difficult.
Reply 3114
I kind of wish I hadn't completed my application so early. They slowly release more useful information that would have been useful for the short essay questions.

Now that I realise I left out some key points I don't feel too confident I'll get short listed... Depending if the people reading through them are the actual employers or just some robot admin who go through a checklist :frown:
Original post by ChiBo
I kind of wish I hadn't completed my application so early. They slowly release more useful information that would have been useful for the short essay questions.

Now that I realise I left out some key points I don't feel too confident I'll get short listed... Depending if the people reading through them are the actual employers or just some robot admin who go through a checklist :frown:

I agree, I completed mine early because I know when they've advertised trainee clinical scientist posts on the NHS they've taken them down after as little as 2 days because of how many applications they received. So I thought getting it in early might give me an advantage, but it doesn't seem like it with this scheme. I wish I would have waited longer, done some practice tests and found some more info out before applying. I suppose nothing we can do now though, let's just hope our applications were good enough.

I was wondering, it says that applicants should request an informal visit to one of the labs before the interview stage, but I've already worked in a NHS lab for a year and shadowed clinical scientists. I've also got a week's worth of work experience in 3 different labs and I visited another lab two weeks ago as part of my final year project, do I still need to arrange a visit? :confused:
Reply 3116
Hi Everyone, Ive been following this thread since last year when I applied for training posts!

I submitted by app a few days ago and have just completed the online tests - and failed!

I must have had an off day because I usually like doing quizzes and mind games like that, but I actually feel really pissed off at the whole application process!! Actually, I was that angry that I fired off an email complaining about the process - see the email below VVV......If anybody else feels the same get in touch, or am I just over reacting??

Cheers!

To Whom It May Concern at clinical scientist training,

I just wanted to let you know how bitterly disappointed I am at the terrible experience I have had at trying to apply for a trainee clinical scientist post.

Firstly, the application site powered by 'milkroundapplications' was appalling, the text boxes did not re-size properly, making editing more difficult than it should have been. Also the site did not allow you to easily move between pages saying 'section must be completed' before you could move on, especially on the essay question page.

Secondly, I think the way the application for posts in general is a disgrace! I've just spent hours editing my application (I'm a registered biomedical scientist since 2005, I have a PhD, managerial experience, was a BMS in the Territorial Army for 4 years and have worked with patients/medical professionals) and have just be told that my application is in the bin because I couldn't worked out 'what comes next in the sequence'! in the allotted time!

I am now seriously worried about the type of people you will take on as clinical scientists - not because you have taken the time to examine the individuals' CV, personal statements and character to see if they fit the profile of a clinical scientist; but just because they managed to answer a set of overly complicated questions which have absolutely nothing to do clinical science! I don't accept the argument that these types of questions will ' demonstrate the candidates ability to problem solve' they won't, and especially not the types of problems a clinical scientist will experience.

I feel this whole experience has just been an exercise to fail candidates as soon as possible, just because of box ticking?

In addition, where are the actual details of the posts themselves? Certainly not on NHS jobs or in New Scientist as promised? Nobody actually knows what they are applying for?

I have no doubt that many others will feel the same and I will urge them to write to you to explain how they feel.

Regards

B Taylor
Original post by drknox
Hi Everyone, Ive been following this thread since last year when I applied for training posts!

I submitted by app a few days ago and have just completed the online tests - and failed!

I must have had an off day because I usually like doing quizzes and mind games like that, but I actually feel really pissed off at the whole application process!! Actually, I was that angry that I fired off an email complaining about the process - see the email below VVV......If anybody else feels the same get in touch, or am I just over reacting??

Cheers!

To Whom It May Concern at clinical scientist training,

I just wanted to let you know how bitterly disappointed I am at the terrible experience I have had at trying to apply for a trainee clinical scientist post.

Firstly, the application site powered by 'milkroundapplications' was appalling, the text boxes did not re-size properly, making editing more difficult than it should have been. Also the site did not allow you to easily move between pages saying 'section must be completed' before you could move on, especially on the essay question page.

Secondly, I think the way the application for posts in general is a disgrace! I've just spent hours editing my application (I'm a registered biomedical scientist since 2005, I have a PhD, managerial experience, was a BMS in the Territorial Army for 4 years and have worked with patients/medical professionals) and have just be told that my application is in the bin because I couldn't worked out 'what comes next in the sequence'! in the allotted time!

I am now seriously worried about the type of people you will take on as clinical scientists - not because you have taken the time to examine the individuals' CV, personal statements and character to see if they fit the profile of a clinical scientist; but just because they managed to answer a set of overly complicated questions which have absolutely nothing to do clinical science! I don't accept the argument that these types of questions will ' demonstrate the candidates ability to problem solve' they won't, and especially not the types of problems a clinical scientist will experience.

I feel this whole experience has just been an exercise to fail candidates as soon as possible, just because of box ticking?

In addition, where are the actual details of the posts themselves? Certainly not on NHS jobs or in New Scientist as promised? Nobody actually knows what they are applying for?

I have no doubt that many others will feel the same and I will urge them to write to you to explain how they feel.

Regards

B Taylor

I totally agree with everything in your post. I think the application process is very poor to be honest. For a start off there's a lot of confusion regarding details surrounding the jobs, as minimal information about the scheme has been given out. I have no idea about what university I would be attending if I secured a post, what course I would be doing, what hospital I would be working in, what hours I would be working, day to day tasks and responsibilities (I have a good idea, but this is through my own experience and research), what the chances are of finding a job at the end of the scheme are, whether you are given study leave to do your masters degree, how many days or hours a week you would be at university, there isn't even a person specification or job specification to refer to, and the recruitment process is as clear as mud. Are there any more tests after this? Is there an assessment day or centre? How are applications ranked? No one really knows, people are just guessing or finding things out from people they know.

If anyone involved in the recruitment process is reading this though, please don't reject me, I love you :colondollar:
Reply 3118
I agree that the process this year needs some work, they could not control how many posts people applied for last year so they are clearly making steps to try and improve this.

Although I am in total agreement that working out 'whats comes next' has really no baring as to whether or not an individual is capable of doing the job, it's a process they are using to try and filter out applications. I think this is the way it is going to be from now on. Medical schools have been using this for years and seeing as this training scheme may one day allow you to be a consultant then it only seems like a natural they will progress the applications t be more like medical school applications.

Every year is the same regarding information about the masters etc. I went to speak with someone who was interviewing last year and I asked her about the masters and she had no idea what was happening with it and I think this is the same every year. But the information is available if you can find it. There is a list somewhere which details where you are likely to take your masters depending on what course you do. It is pretty much a 9-5 job, it's down to you to make sure all your work is done and the trainees at my lab just come and leave when they please.
In regards to the interview process they have said it will be the same as last year and there is heaps on info about this online, including how many people will be interviewed for each position and how they rank you at interview at what this means.

All in all though I am in agreement the application process is not a smooth one. I don't like the milkround site, they could have spent more money using a site which actually works. In regards to the online tests (which I still haven't taken yet!) although I HATE them I can understand why they have chosen to use them and accepted the fact that I might fail and have to re-apply next year but then again I might not. It's the same with medical schools and most graduate schemes and blue-chip company's, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the NHS has decided to use them for this scheme.

I would be interested to see your response from the NHS regarding the email you sent.

I am planning to take my test tonight after a 12 hour shift at work :s-smilie: not the best idea I know but my only choice as I go away tomorrow for 5 days. So I will soon find out which boat i'm in :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Are the actual tests anything like these http://www.kenexa.com/assessments/assessment_guidance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending