The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

The information may be out there, but I don't think people should have to scour the internet for answers to basic questions. The information (in my opinion) should be provided in a person specification and a job description, and they should provide a link somewhere to information about the recruitment process. I've applied to a position on NHS jobs for a trainee clinical scientist post and all the information was there on the job advert, I don't see why it should be any different for the scheme. Just seems a bit poor that candidates have to hunt around on the net for answers to very basic questions about the scheme. Maybe they expect us to use our research and problem solving skills to find the information out though :tongue:

Original post by total2009
Are the actual tests anything like these http://www.kenexa.com/assessments/assessment_guidance?

They are like that, but a lot more difficult and complicated.
Original post by drknox
Hi Everyone, Ive been following this thread since last year when I applied for training posts!

I submitted by app a few days ago and have just completed the online tests - and failed!

I must have had an off day because I usually like doing quizzes and mind games like that, but I actually feel really pissed off at the whole application process!! Actually, I was that angry that I fired off an email complaining about the process - see the email below VVV......If anybody else feels the same get in touch, or am I just over reacting??

Cheers!

To Whom It May Concern at clinical scientist training,

I just wanted to let you know how bitterly disappointed I am at the terrible experience I have had at trying to apply for a trainee clinical scientist post.

Firstly, the application site powered by 'milkroundapplications' was appalling, the text boxes did not re-size properly, making editing more difficult than it should have been. Also the site did not allow you to easily move between pages saying 'section must be completed' before you could move on, especially on the essay question page.

Secondly, I think the way the application for posts in general is a disgrace! I've just spent hours editing my application (I'm a registered biomedical scientist since 2005, I have a PhD, managerial experience, was a BMS in the Territorial Army for 4 years and have worked with patients/medical professionals) and have just be told that my application is in the bin because I couldn't worked out 'what comes next in the sequence'! in the allotted time!

I am now seriously worried about the type of people you will take on as clinical scientists - not because you have taken the time to examine the individuals' CV, personal statements and character to see if they fit the profile of a clinical scientist; but just because they managed to answer a set of overly complicated questions which have absolutely nothing to do clinical science! I don't accept the argument that these types of questions will ' demonstrate the candidates ability to problem solve' they won't, and especially not the types of problems a clinical scientist will experience.

I feel this whole experience has just been an exercise to fail candidates as soon as possible, just because of box ticking?

In addition, where are the actual details of the posts themselves? Certainly not on NHS jobs or in New Scientist as promised? Nobody actually knows what they are applying for?

I have no doubt that many others will feel the same and I will urge them to write to you to explain how they feel.

Regards

B Taylor

I have done exactly the same thing. I think people should let them know just how frustrating this application process is. Don't even get me started on the tests! The practice does not prepare you for the real thing and the time limit is ridiculous!
I fell at the interview hurdle last year, I won't be getting that far this time round.
Reply 3122
Original post by laura130490
I'm sure you will! Let me know how you get on :smile:

hey, so i just completed the test. I got an email thanking me for completing and they said they will aim to start contacting candidates in april to inform of the outcome of my application.
Does this mean I am through, is this the same as what you got?
Reply 3123
Original post by bioblue
hey, so i just completed the test. I got an email thanking me for completing and they said they will aim to start contacting candidates in april to inform of the outcome of my application.

congrat to you :wink:
Reply 3124
Original post by 25121982
congrat to you :wink:

Guess that means I'm through then, thanks :smile:
Reply 3125
Hey guys, i wanted to know how many questions do you get and the time-limit. My friend recently did them and she was saying that she got 12 question in 6 minutes for the numeracy test. Is this true? it sounds unreal. also, i remember reading here that someone got 20 questions for numeracy. confused?
Thank you
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bioblue

Yeah you passed, congrats! Let's hope we get interviews now! :smile:
Reply 3127

fingers crossed, although I'm not completely happy with my answers, i struggled to fit everything in with the word count, oh well its done now. just a two month wait :lolwut:
Reply 3128

hi laura , do you have any idea about the general interview questions in the interview day or in general does anyone know anything about what types of questions will be asked in the assessment center , i hope anyone with previous interview exp will answer this question
Reply 3129
Original post by 786pk
Hey guys, i wanted to know how many questions do you get and the time-limit. My friend recently did them and she was saying that she got 12 question in 6 minutes for the numeracy test. Is this true? it sounds unreal. also, i remember reading here that someone got 20 questions for numeracy. confused?
Thank you

I've just completed the online tests. It tells you at the start of the test how many questions there will be and what the time limit is.

On the test I did there were 20 numerical questions with a 20 minute time limit. I found those fairly easy although the time limit made me rush a bit more than I would of liked. There were 24 (I think) logic ones but I didn't quite realise what the time limit was but I think it was around 15 minutes. I found the logic ones hard, I felt like I guessed most of them but I somehow managed to pass.

Good luck
Reply 3130
Original post by kirstyra
I've just completed the online tests. It tells you at the start of the test how many questions there will be and what the time limit is.

On the test I did there were 20 numerical questions with a 20 minute time limit. I found those fairly easy although the time limit made me rush a bit more than I would of liked. There were 24 (I think) logic ones but I didn't quite realise what the time limit was but I think it was around 15 minutes. I found the logic ones hard, I felt like I guessed most of them but I somehow managed to pass.

Good luck

Thank you for your reply. my friend scared the crap out of me. I thought it was strange that they are expecting us to do 12 questions in 6 mins. Was there no verbal reasoning exam?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bioblue
fingers crossed, although I'm not completely happy with my answers, i struggled to fit everything in with the word count, oh well its done now. just a two month wait :lolwut:

Yeah I'm not 100% happy with my answers either to be honest. I just hope I've done enough to get an interview.

Original post by 25121982
hi laura , do you have any idea about the general interview questions in the interview day or in general does anyone know anything about what types of questions will be asked in the assessment center , i hope anyone with previous interview exp will answer this question

I don't know about this particular scheme, but when I went to my interview for the NHS management scheme it was competency based and they asked you to give examples of situations, why you want to work in the NHS and why you applied for the scheme. I don't know much about the assessment centre though, I'll let you know after I've been!
Reply 3132
Original post by 786pk
Thank you for your reply. my friend scared the crap out of me. I thought it was strange that they are expecting us to do 12 questions in 6 mins. Was there no verbal reasoning exam?

Nope, no verbal reasoning. Just the numerical and logic ones.
Reply 3133
Original post by kirstyra
Nope, no verbal reasoning. Just the numerical and logic ones.

Okay. Congrats for passing!:smile:
Reply 3134
Original post by 786pk
Okay. Congrats for passing!:smile:

Thank you and good luck to you!
Reply 3135
Original post by molecularB
I have done exactly the same thing. I think people should let them know just how frustrating this application process is. Don't even get me started on the tests! The practice does not prepare you for the real thing and the time limit is ridiculous!
I fell at the interview hurdle last year, I won't be getting that far this time round.

I agree that the application process this year is not the best. I think it would have made more sense to have the tests first so if you don't pass them you wouldn't then waste your time answering the essay questions. I spent a lot of time on getting my answers the best they could be within the word limit, as I'm sure everyone else did, so I don't think its fair that this effort would count for nothing if you couldn't work out 'what comes next' in a silly logic test.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3136
I remember reading that the 27th feb deadline is for the application, and the aptitude test deadline is the 29th. But I can't find this anywhere now.

Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks
Reply 3137
Original post by neuneu
I remember reading that the 27th feb deadline is for the application, and the aptitude test deadline is the 29th. But I can't find this anywhere now.

Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks

Yes you r right http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=2144
Reply 3138
"Thank you for your application to the NHS Scientist Training Programme, and for taking the online tests. We regret to inform you that on this occasion you did not meet the required benchmark for this test. We will not therefore be taking your application any further."

I honestly struggled ...no idea how some of you managed to get them done in time !
Reply 3139
Hey guys,

First off, congratulations to those who have already passed, I'm very jealous! And for those who didn't make it, I'm positive that it's just the time pressure that affected your score. I did a practice test and there was one question where I thought "Wtf?? How are you supposed to answer that??" and then looking back on it, it was actually quite simple. I have a feeling this will be my downfall... maybe a beer or two is required beforehand? :P

I have a question for those who have already finished. Is there a break between the numerical reasoning and the logical reasoning? Can you log out and then do the logical reasoning a bit later? I don't know if I should be psyching myself up for both or can take it easy and get a cup of tea to prepare for the next part :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending