The Student Room Group

Sunny Beach, Bulgaria. What is it actually like?!

Me and a group of friends are thinking of booking a week in Sunny Beach at the start of July. Apart from the obvious factor of it being cheap, what is it actually like?! What are the clubs like etc etc. Any answers would be very much appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I love the sea. The nightlife is also great, there are many cool clubs, e.g. Iceberg, Lazur, Den Glade Viking, Orange etc and it's full of people which is another advantage. :smile:
Reply 2
Awesome. :smile: sounds good! Reading some reviews, they have said that there aren't many brits there (around 20% were brits it said on one site) and that the majority of people were in their mid 20's did you find this when you went?
Thanks for the quick response btw! :smile:
Reply 3
Well, I'm local and I live an hour away from Sunny Beach, so I tend to go there at least a few times during the summer but I'm not biased it's a fun place really. :-D Definitely, the majority of the people are foreign tourists, I noticed that there were many Germans and Scandinavians. However, English is spoken everywhere. Well, I think that most of the people are 18- 22, especially in the clubs. :smile:
Reply 4
Okay, thank you very much. We should be going ahead and booking it tomorrow with a bit of luck! :biggrin: Should be good!
thanks,i love beaches
it's pretty seedy from what I remember - mafia and prostitutes everywhere! Cheap food and drinks though...
Reply 7
Sunny Beach, BULGARIA (?!) ... Sounds like a trap.
Reply 8
my mates went last year and said it was amazing as far as young people and clubbing goes. :smile:
Reply 9
The ****ty moment when you realise that foreigners think of SB as "cheap"...
Original post by 3PL
The ****ty moment when you realise that foreigners think of SB as "cheap"...

Cheap in what respect? The town itself or things like the drinks, food and accommodation?
Original post by EssexDan86
it's pretty seedy from what I remember - mafia and prostitutes everywhere! Cheap food and drinks though...

Mafia? or just some Bulgarian gang?
Depends what you're into...
SB (and several areas of Bulgaria) is known as quite seedy. It attracts tourists who wants cheap alcohol, girls in polyester barely-there dresses, chavs who want to get laid. It won't be cultural, it won't be tasteful. It's basically partying as you would do in any little English city, just some sun to go with it. I would NEVER go, but you know...have a nice time.
Reply 13
Original post by Aconcernedparent
SB (and several areas of Bulgaria) is known as quite seedy. It attracts tourists who wants cheap alcohol, girls in polyester barely-there dresses, chavs who want to get laid. It won't be cultural, it won't be tasteful. It's basically partying as you would do in any little English city, just some sun to go with it. I would NEVER go, but you know...have a nice time.

Hmm..Quite a profound reply, provided that you've never been there...Sure you've never visited Sunny Beach in another life of yours?
I guess, your description may refer to the majority of summer resorts worldwide. Anyway, I doubt anyone interested in [insert a name of a country] culture would go to a place famous for its night life, parties and overall summer attractions.:wink:
Original post by Aandrew94
Me and a group of friends are thinking of booking a week in Sunny Beach at the start of July. Apart from the obvious factor of it being cheap, what is it actually like?! What are the clubs like etc etc. Any answers would be very much appreciated! :smile:

Honestly, it's ok. Not great but just ok. And it's not cheap either. It was dirt cheap when I went back in '05 as it wasn't part of the EU (I think but don't quote me on it), it was about 30p a pint.

The clubs are crap if I'm honest. If Ibiza were a Ferrari, Sunny Beach would be a Lada (ironic considering they are all over the place in Sunny Beach).

Still though I had a good time. Just be careful there as it's quite a scummy place, I got chased by a taxi driver with a knife, got lost on the night and everyone wanted money to help me, also had my hotel room robbed at least three times by the cleaner taking money, clothes and fragrances.

tl;dr - It's ok, not the best choice. You can have a good time. Be careful as it's quite dangerous as opposed to other places.

*Edit - I should mention I would not go there now (I was 16 at the time, 22 now), I stayed in hotel Sredets.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EssexDan86

Original post by Aconcernedparent

Both of these are bang on. Like I said if Ibiza were a Ferrari, SB would be a Lada.
Original post by freeckle
Hmm..Quite a profound reply, provided that you've never been there...Sure you've never visited Sunny Beach in another life of yours?
I guess, your description may refer to the majority of summer resorts worldwide. Anyway, I doubt anyone interested in [insert a name of a country] culture would go to a place famous for its night life, parties and overall summer attractions.:wink:

No, there are plenty of summer resorts which are not like that. Plenty of places in France, Italy etc.
SB is famous for being trash, there is a reason why they make documentaries about it. And if you know someone who's been there, they will be a certain type of people.
Reply 17
Original post by Aandrew94

Been to Bulgaria on holiday 5 years in a row this summers the first im going with a group of pals. I have never heard of any crime in Bulgaria and all the bulgarians iv met arenice. The mafia are everwhere but i wouldnt say its seedy, doesnt seem to be allot of drugs going about either. Foods cheap if you stick to wee bulgarian places(they do the best food anyway) and drinks cheap advrage beer price in a bar is a pound can easily find a beer for fifty pence, cocktails in a dear place are two for a fiver, vodka mixers are two for three pound most places so its pretty good in that respect. Been in iceberg, disco orange, revolution all were pretty good the clubs probably wont be anywhere near some other holiday resorts but still can have a pretty good time. Loads of people most speak english big crowds of brittish late july and august. Probably nowhere near as scenic as spain or the likes but has a wonderful beach good strip of cheap bars and is pretty safe ( havent seen any fights yet).
Original post by ed_sodium
Been to Bulgaria on holiday 5 years in a row this summers the first im going with a group of pals. I have never heard of any crime in Bulgaria and all the bulgarians iv met arenice. The mafia are everwhere but i wouldnt say its seedy, doesnt seem to be allot of drugs going about either. Foods cheap if you stick to wee bulgarian places(they do the best food anyway) and drinks cheap advrage beer price in a bar is a pound can easily find a beer for fifty pence, cocktails in a dear place are two for a fiver, vodka mixers are two for three pound most places so its pretty good in that respect. Been in iceberg, disco orange, revolution all were pretty good the clubs probably wont be anywhere near some other holiday resorts but still can have a pretty good time. Loads of people most speak english big crowds of brittish late july and august. Probably nowhere near as scenic as spain or the likes but has a wonderful beach good strip of cheap bars and is pretty safe ( havent seen any fights yet).

This would be why. I guarantee when you go with your pals it'll be different.
This thread has definitely put me off considering Sunny Beach for this Summer.

What do you guys suggest as an alternative? I've read in many threads and on other sites that Ibiza is far too expensive. I'd like a mix of quality (nightclubs, beaches) and affordability (the cheaper the better in terms of drinks and food). This would be just as much a beach holiday as a clubbing, and I'd like to avoid the more 'trashy' destinations (I do know there will be not so nice people everywhere).

I also read that Ayia Napa, Mykonos and Rimini are the other 3 'main' party centrals on the Mediterranean, but I've also heard that Majorca, Magaluf, Kos, Kavos, Malia, Zante etc are very popular (hence why they're all on Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents).

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest