The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How can people think homosexuality is a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DYKWIA
But they haven't got gay marriage yet, so actually the effects may not be seen for generations.

Whilst that is true, it is irrelevant; the claim made was that homosexuals are somehow devaluing marriage and are thus responsible for falling marriage rates. Since historical data shows this to be fallacious it is perhaps time to revise the theory?
Reply 881
Original post by ThePhilosoraptor
(Those pesky time-travelling homosexuals!)

Damn, you discovered our secret!! That's how we manage to recruit so many people into homosexuality, we have time travel :smile:

Original post by DYKWIA
Gay attitudes have increasingly since the 60's been turning against me and look, as homosexualty has become more accepted rates of marriage have fallen and out of wedlock births have increased. Gays are the cause.

I can see how, as a bigot, you would link increasing support for the gay community with a fall in marriage, even if in reality, gays and gay marriage have nothing to do with it, but there is literally nothing that would link increased support for the gay community and increasing numbers of children born out of wedlock. It is a stupid attempt at an argument.
Original post by XxelliexX
Facepalm... All I can say is that I don't know the person, or even that he exists (you could be lying...) and so I cannot comment. Where did he get 'therapy'?? Oh wait, you're the american guy... figures.
Your happiness is irrelevant to me. How would it make society better? I've had lesbian sex before at a party... how on earth does that make any difference whatsoever to society?

It makes all the parties I've been to seem like failures by comparison.

#SIGH!#
Reply 883
Facepalm... All I can say is that I don't know the person, or even that he exists (you could be lying...) and so I cannot comment. Where did he get 'therapy'?? Oh wait, you're the american guy... figures.

The amount of times he has brought up this friend who magically renounced his gayness is staggering, and I believe him less and less every time.
Original post by ThePhilosoraptor
It makes all the parties I've been to seem like failures by comparison.

#SIGH!#

Haha! If I had my way it would've happened a lot more than once! :wink:
Reply 885

I like him a lot more now he is not gay. http://narth.com/ Here you can email them and ask them about gay therapy, if you are interested. It is a good idea.

Your happiness is irrelevant to me. How would it make society better? I've had lesbian sex before at a party... how on earth does that make any difference whatsoever to society?

Because you teach bad values and influence children in the wrong way.

Original post by Jester94
Equality and equal rights: things homophobes like to suppress among the gay community, in the same way racists and bigots did for black people. I wouldn't go so far as to call it child abuse, my mother works for a children's charity so I am hesitant to bandy the term around, but I would certainly say that
a) it is not possible to bring a child up straight, as if they are are straight or gay, there is nothing you can do to change or influence that
b) imposing your views of heterosexual superiority on your child could leave them with great psychological damage if they think that they might be gay, which could lead to a whole host of problems
c) bring them up with an incredibly narrow-minded view of the world if you bring them up with your heterosexual superiority, which could damage their abilities to form relationships with other people and would ensure your bigotry passes on to future generations

I believe differently to you. I think that instilling good values on a kid will reduce the chances of it turning out homosexual and it is better for everyone. Also, it means you are forcing your pro-gay views on kids who don't wanna be exposed to it.

I am not bi, but even I know bisexuality does not work like that. It is not pick and choose; you are attracted to women, I am attracted to women, bisexuals are attracted to both, that is not something which can change. This view of bisexuals as indecisive or greedy is horribly ignorant.

You can ignore the homosexual feelings.

It is possible to talk about homosexuality without being homophobic, but you do not manage this. Of course homosexuality is going to be discussed on her, but you do not need to do it in a homophobic manner.

As soon as I state I am against gay marriage I get labeled a homophobe.

Who is not normal, the kids or the parents? If you are referring to gay parents as being not normal, then you are contradicting your many previous assurances that you do not have a problem with homosexuality.

Neither are normal. It doesn't mean it is wrong, but it does mean it should not be encouraged.

The only way a child will be influence by gay society is influenced into having a more tolerant attitude towards minorities. It is not possible to influence people into homosexuality, we do not recruit (although sometimes I wish we did because there are some people I would love to recruit to the gay side :wink: )

Eww. See, you wanna recruit. Disgusting.

Hurrah, finally some reason, though I imagine this is probably a typo, but it is the first correct thing you have said on this thread!

Yeah, I didn't mean that. How could it possibly be true anyway?! lool

Yes, gay parents would support their child if they were straight, because gay people understand the importance of a parent's support about your sexuality. And once and for all, HIV IS NOT A GAY DISEASE!!! HIV spreads through unsafe sex, so good sex education will combat the spread among gay AND straight communities.

When so many gays get it in comparison to others it signals something is up with the gay community.
Original post by DYKWIA
I like him a lot more now he is not gay. http://narth.com/ Here you can email them and ask them about gay therapy, if you are interested. It is a good idea.

That's nice...
homophobe.
Yeah, I think I'll pass.

Original post by DYKWIA

How so? There were no children at the party, and no children in the bedroom with us... And how is it 'in the wrong way'? What 'bad values'? Y U NO EXPLAIN YOUR POINTS?
Reply 887
That's nice...
homophobe.
Yeah, I think I'll pass.

If you are willing to try, they can help you become straight and not give in to homosexual tendencies.

How so? There were no children at the party, and no children in the bedroom with us... And how is it 'in the wrong way'? What 'bad values'? Y U NO EXPLAIN YOUR POINTS?

Wrong way - it will make kids be more likely to be gay, or maybe metro.

bad values - militant homosexual values.
Reply 888
Original post by DYKWIA

That is a disgusting attitude to hold, to like someone more simply because they are straight. What do you do when one of your favourite musicians or actors comes out as gay - stop watching/listening to anything they are involved in.

No, conversion camps are not a good thing; people are generally forced onto them, and if not they are at least pressured, while they give the message that being gay is wrong, which it isn't.

Values gay parents will teach to their children: openmindedness, tolerance, fairness, justice, ability to not seem someone based purely on their sexuality etc. Explain it to me, because I don't see, how are any of thise bad things?

I believe differently to you. I think that instilling good values on a kid will reduce the chances of it turning out homosexual and it is better for everyone. Also, it means you are forcing your pro-gay views on kids who don't wanna be exposed to it.

You cannot teach a child to be straight, and teaching a child about heterosexual superiority is not a way of instilling good values; it teaches intolerance, hatred and bigotry, which should not be encouraged at all. By pro-gay views, do you mean tolerance and acceptance, because yes, gay parents will certainly teach their children those, but is it not possible to teach someone to be gay, so stop pretending it is.

You can ignore the homosexual feelings.

Do you ignore feelings when you are sexually attracted to someone? No, you don't, you accept that is part of yourself. Therefore, you cannot expect bisexuals to repress one part of themselves, as it is not healthy and can lead to serious psychological problems.

As soon as I state I am against gay marriage I get labeled a homophobe.

Because you have a homophobic opinion, you are a homophobe. Stop whingeing, if you don't want to be labelled as a homophobe, don't act like one.

Neither are normal. It doesn't mean it is wrong, but it does mean it should not be encouraged.

Who are you to classify what is normal or not. Just because something is done by the majority, does not make it normal. Also, I love how your discrimination has spread, from parents to children; what would you do if you fell in love with a girl but it turned out her parents were gay? It is unfair to discriminate against a child because of their parents' sexuality, just as unfair as it is to discriminate against the parents themselves.

Eww. See, you wanna recruit. Disgusting.

Jesus, take a joke.

When so many gays get it in comparison to others it signals something is up with the gay community.

Since all you ever do is quote examples from the US, I will give you some UK stats: in 2010, the majority of new HIV diagnoses were acquired by heterosexuals (or by bi people having heterosexual sex), so actually, more straight people are getting it here. :/ rather challenges your argument doesn't it.
Reply 889

Your parties sound better than mine :smile:

Original post by DYKWIA
If you are willing to try, they can help you become straight and not give in to homosexual tendencies.

You spout such crap it is unbelievable. It is not possibly to become straight, because you are born with your sexuality, no amount of crazy conversion camp preachers or supportive friends like you will change that.
Original post by DYKWIA

1) It's in America
2) It costs $170 per session
3) I'm not willing to try, my sexuality is part of me and I can't reject a part of me like that

Original post by DYKWIA

And why is it bad if children become gay?
This conversation is going nowhere.
Original post by Jester94
speaking sense

honestly i would just give up with him, he is an idiot plain and simple. he cannot think rationally about this and has already admitted it... not even gonna try and hide my contempt for how ignorant and stupid he is (on this topic anyway) anymore. nothing will convince him because he has no reason for his homophobia and he can't explain it, nor can he properly back up any of his arguments or supply non biased evidence to back himself up... it's all just his own opinion.. which he treats as fact.
he's just convinced himself that his arguments are valid, logical and factual so he can pretend to himself that he's not homophobic... hopeless cause.
Original post by DYKWIA
Because now people have seen that with the legalization of gay marriage in certain places that marriage has been devalued and now they don't respect it as much.

Freedom, democracy, free speech - things gay people like to suppress if it goes against their beliefs. People have said that if I chose to raise a kid to be straight, which i'd like to do, then that would be classified as child abuse. I should have the right to decide how a kid is raised.

Why can't you just keep your homosexual urges to yourself then? If you are bi then you can just choose which sex you wanna like. Simple.

This is a thread on homosexuality. Of course I am gonna talk about homosexuality on here.

But that's not what I mean. Gay people can't have kids naturally, they are not the normal either and I believe that kids who are influenced by gay society could be damaged.

But they don't see the need to marry any more, because they see that the gays have devalued marriage.

Gays will not teach their kids to be gay, or support their kid if he/she doesn't wanna be gay. Also, what about their dangerous lifestyle habits? They get HIV at far higher rates than heteros and so they have a negative aspect to how they choose to live their life.

keep on bull****ting my dear, the only one you're convincing is yourself.

i also hope to god you don't have a gay child... just a warning, your attitude on "raising a child straight" could lead to suicide.
(edited 12 years ago)
So basically, you quoted a general term which could have been restricted by other rules whereas he quoted a specific verse in the Bible which specifically corroborated his point? I don't see how you can win that argument regarding Christianity's views on homosexuality.
Reply 894
Militant homosexual values? What does that even mean?

I've come to the conclusion that certain people haven't grasped that we're better than them. You see after centuries, even millennia, of on-off oppression, including being tortured to death, physically and later chemically castrated, shunned, ostracised, disenfranchised and vilified, we have no intention of returning the favour.

We want to be allowed to get on with our lives, in fact we want guarantees that we can get on with our lives and so can future generations, as equals. That's it. Equal rights.

We are going to have these things, and yes DYKWIA we will ruin your life if you stand in our way, but we don't actually want to. We don't bear you any particular ill will. It's simply that we refuse to accept our position as being inferior any longer, and society has advanced to the point where we don't have to.
Reply 895
Original post by mmmpie
Militant homosexual values? What does that even mean?

I've come to the conclusion that certain people haven't grasped that we're better than them. You see after centuries, even millennia, of on-off oppression, including being tortured to death, physically and later chemically castrated, shunned, ostracised, disenfranchised and vilified, we have no intention of returning the favour.

You are not better than us. Given the opportunity you would do the exact same thing.

We are going to have these things, and yes DYKWIA we will ruin your life if you stand in our way, but we don't actually want to. We don't bear you any particular ill will. It's simply that we refuse to accept our position as being inferior any longer, and society has advanced to the point where we don't have to.

That sounded threatening, you are so hypocritical. I think you're heterophobic.
Reply 896
Yet again you are ignoring the evidence because you don't agree with it.

Yet psychologists and sociologists

(1) Claim otherwise

(2) Claim gay parents make better parents on average

Again, you trying to assert you are better than everyone else.

You don't get to decide what social values we ought or ought not have, especially when your 'good social values' say that homosexuals are inferior to heterosexual and don't deserve equal rights.

You don't deserve gay marriage. I am opposed to it.

(1) Again, allowing gay marriage doesn't necessitate more homosexuality

(2) You think ; meanwhile psychologists and sociologists say Our research and data collection over the past decade or more leads us to the conclusion that . Who's more right here?

(3) Why are conservative values the only good values? :confused: That's arbitrary; and actually, very wrong.

'Conservative values' pre desegregation said that black people should sit in the back of the bus, they shouldn't go to the same schools, they shouldn't use the same water fountains. In fact, I see socially 'conservative values' as only having ever harmed society. Tell me, when have 'conservative values' ever helped society? Was is during slavery? No. During desegregation? No.

Maybe during the women's rights movement? Oh no wait; they wanted women to continue to be inferior to men. Right.

I love how you sit on your high horse and claim 'conservative values' are so good; yet, I see a very long history of your 'conservative values' doing horribly detrimental things to society.

You are confusing views people used to have with conservative values. They aren't the same. In my opinion gay marriage is not a civil rights issue and it is offensive to racial minorities to try and treat it the same.

Great. You might as well be racist. Did you know conservatives used to think white people were better than black people?

People did, not just conservatives.

Original post by NYU2012
We've been over this. Your anecdotal evidence isn't going to further your point.

You have no way to tell he's not lying.

Maybe he is, but I prefer him now. Besides, he seems happy.

Not only that, homosexual's actions and relationships don't, in any way, share any causal relationship with you :confused:

I don't wanna be exposed to it. Why is that so hard to understand?
Original post by DYKWIA
You are not better than us. Given the opportunity you would do the exact same thing.

so how did you work this one out? or yet again just more BS? keep it coming.

Original post by DYKWIA

no it didn't.... and don't be stupid... not all heterosexuals are homophobes like you.
Reply 898
Original post by DYKWIA

Arbitrarily persecute others? No, we wouldn't, that's why we're better than you.

I'm not saying gay people are better that straight people. I'm saying we're better than snivelling homophobes.

Original post by DYKWIA

That sounded paranoid. I think you are mentally unstable.
Original post by DYKWIA

Absolute nonsense. In the last 100 years, gays have been forcibly experimented on, called mentally disordered, forced out of jobs and homes, arrested, and gassed and worked to death in Auschwitz and other camps. I do not wish this kind of persecution on anyone, not even the most rabid homophobic. I wish homophobes could 'get over it' but violence is never the answer, and I have never met even one gay who felt that violence would ever change people's opinions. Clearly you fail to understand this DYKWIA

Original post by DYKWIA

Lets think

-I think straights deserve rights to marriage, adoption, to public recognition of their relationships
-Straight people don't make me uncomfortable in any way, shape or form
-Nor would I ever prefer someone if they changed orientation

So no, evidently I am not a heterophobe

On the other hand, you DYKWIA
-feel uncomfortable around gays
-prefer people who change orientation
-feel that gays are undeserving of their civil rights

So you irrationally feel uncomfortable around gays, don't want them near you, and yet you aren't a homophobe?? Yes you are homophobic. Being homophobic doesn't mean you support violence! It just means you have irrational negative feelings towards gays. Which you clearly do
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending