The Student Room Group

Sunny Beach, Bulgaria. What is it actually like?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HurricaneDominic
This thread has definitely put me off considering Sunny Beach for this Summer.

What do you guys suggest as an alternative? I've read in many threads and on other sites that Ibiza is far too expensive. I'd like a mix of quality (nightclubs, beaches) and affordability (the cheaper the better in terms of drinks and food). This would be just as much a beach holiday as a clubbing, and I'd like to avoid the more 'trashy' destinations (I do know there will be not so nice people everywhere).

I also read that Ayia Napa, Mykonos and Rimini are the other 3 'main' party centrals on the Mediterranean, but I've also heard that Majorca, Magaluf, Kos, Kavos, Malia, Zante etc are very popular (hence why they're all on Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents).

Thank you!

Check out Turkey
This thread has definitely put me off considering Sunny Beach for this Summer.

What do you guys suggest as an alternative? I've read in many threads and on other sites that Ibiza is far too expensive. I'd like a mix of quality (nightclubs, beaches) and affordability (the cheaper the better in terms of drinks and food). This would be just as much a beach holiday as a clubbing, and I'd like to avoid the more 'trashy' destinations (I do know there will be not so nice people everywhere).

I also read that Ayia Napa, Mykonos and Rimini are the other 3 'main' party centrals on the Mediterranean, but I've also heard that Majorca, Magaluf, Kos, Kavos, Malia, Zante etc are very popular (hence why they're all on Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents).

Thank you!

They're all basically the same. Just tacky and sleazy. If you want to get wrecked with other young people and chavs then any of these, just go for the cheapest.
Original post by Wilfred Little
They're all basically the same. Just tacky and sleazy. If you want to get wrecked with other young people and chavs then any of these, just go for the cheapest.

Ok, thanks.
I'd much prefer to go to a European city, but the only problem with this would be the expense. I mean, the nightlife in some of these places is immense, but if drinks are similar prices to those in UK city nightclubs, then the whole experience would be very expensive. What do you think?
Also, have you heard of any alternative destinations, such as places in Croatia for instance?

Thanks!
Ok, thanks.
I'd much prefer to go to a European city, but the only problem with this would be the expense. I mean, the nightlife in some of these places is immense, but if drinks are similar prices to those in UK city nightclubs, then the whole experience would be very expensive. What do you think?
Also, have you heard of any alternative destinations, such as places in Croatia for instance?

Thanks!

I personally think you should consider other types of holidays, not just party island types. The best thing you can do when you're young is travel, keep that in mind. I just think there's more to see than the same old night out but with some sun added.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything just giving my opinion. :smile:

If I had the choice of going to Magaluf for a week or visiting the pyramids in Egypt and riding on camels across the desert, I know what I'd pick. Hopefully you get my point and don't think I'm just being a patronising numpty.
I personally think you should consider other types of holidays, not just party island types. The best thing you can do when you're young is travel, keep that in mind. I just think there's more to see than the same old night out but with some sun added.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything just giving my opinion. :smile:

If I had the choice of going to Magaluf for a week or visiting the pyramids in Egypt and riding on camels across the desert, I know what I'd pick. Hopefully you get my point and don't think I'm just being a patronising numpty.

No, I understand what you're saying and it's very true, but those types of holiday cost a lot of money as well. Plus, I've been on many of that style a holiday with my parents. I've done the touring around France, Skiing, Spain, Majorca, Italy, Austria, Iceland, Monaco either with my family or school.

My friends want to go on this type of holiday as well, so I don't want to try and change their minds. Preferably, we'd like to go somewhere that is fairly near to some of those kinds of attractions, we'd probably spend a day or 2 visiting cultural/tourist sites.

This will be the only time I'd go on a clubbing holiday, I guess it's pretty generic for someone of my age to do this kind of thing, and may seem like I'm following the crowd, but it has to be done. I don't intend on dying while I'm there and I know my limits, so I think I should be alright and have a great time!
Reply 25
This would be why. I guarantee when you go with your pals it'll be different.

Iv been out with a group of girls i met there to the early hours of the morning without my family and never encourntered any problems, never heard of anyone getting there stuff nicked from hotels. I hung about with a few teenage groups that were there on 6 th year holiday and they never had any complaints. Mabye iv just not been observent but I havent seen or heard of any crime or rip offs in bulgaria apart from they stupid tow trucks and gypsis who get chased by police if they go anywhere near the main tourist areas.
Original post by ed_sodium
Iv been out with a group of girls i met there to the early hours of the morning without my family and never encourntered any problems, never heard of anyone getting there stuff nicked from hotels. I hung about with a few teenage groups that were there on 6 th year holiday and they never had any complaints. Mabye iv just not been observent but I havent seen or heard of any crime or rip offs in bulgaria apart from they stupid tow trucks and gypsis who get chased by police if they go anywhere near the main tourist areas.

:confused:

I'm just stunned to be honest.

I'm not exaggerating but it was everywhere I went, there were mafia in cars asking me if I wanted to buy weed, I saw a guy staggering along by where the bungee trampoline is (not the one right on the pier, the other near the moped stalls) and he'd had the absolute **** kicked out of him. I saw gypsies scamming tourists, guys in bootleg CD shops asking me to swap my phone for cocaine, prostitutes everywhere. I got chased by a taxi driver with a knife at 6am for saying I wasn't going to give him money to help me as I was lost.

You must have sat in the bars all night without walking the streets to other bars because I find it hard to believe you've been there multiple times and saw nothing. Maybe you were drunk and don't remember (not being rude but it might explain it :tongue:)?

The hotel thing, I noticed money going from the table next to the bed every morning and put it down to me being drunk and losing it, eventually I asked my friend if he'd been moving it and he said he'd had money go missing too. Then he couldn't find a tracksuit and I noticed a hat gone missing, then more clothes... we left some leva under the bed sheet as the cleaner was cleaning our room while we were on the balcony and she took it. His parents also had money taken and we confronted her and she suddenly couldn't speak English :rolleyes: and gestured that the wind must've blown it out the door. We asked for a different cleaner and we never got anything back.
No, I understand what you're saying and it's very true, but those types of holiday cost a lot of money as well. Plus, I've been on many of that style a holiday with my parents. I've done the touring around France, Skiing, Spain, Majorca, Italy, Austria, Iceland, Monaco either with my family or school.

My friends want to go on this type of holiday as well, so I don't want to try and change their minds. Preferably, we'd like to go somewhere that is fairly near to some of those kinds of attractions, we'd probably spend a day or 2 visiting cultural/tourist sites.

This will be the only time I'd go on a clubbing holiday, I guess it's pretty generic for someone of my age to do this kind of thing, and may seem like I'm following the crowd, but it has to be done. I don't intend on dying while I'm there and I know my limits, so I think I should be alright and have a great time!

If you're not too fussed about a beach, Krakow is great for this, a good city for nightlife, it's cheap and there's loads of 'touristy' things to do as well.
Reply 28
I guess it depends on the place you stay at. I haven't been at Sunny Beach since I was a child but two years ago I went to Golden Sands (also a famous bg summer destination) and I had such a great time!! I live in Tenerife but I swear that the Bulgarian coast is so much more beautiful! The sand is soft and white, the sea is chill, stunning nature, great clubs, good treats, amazing food......!!! I read somewhere here that the nightlife is "cheap". Well I went to places which you can't find in Tenerife referring to music, quality of the sound and athmosphere (the clubs were called PR and Arrogance, just for the record).

However don't forget that you're still in ****ing Eastern Europe. You'll find gypsies everywhere, people won't be nice to you, if you get drunk you'd probably be robbed when you wake up the next morning on the street, your hotel room service will suck and they'll be trying to squeeze money from you second after second. Just remember to avoid problems by not trusting the staff. xD

But it's still a great place to visit. And if you want a little bit more than parties and beaches than you have some spectacular cultural heritage. Bulgaria has a lot to offer at every level, the matter is that they fail to promote it. Turkish and Greek agencies really know how to sell themselves on the other hand. xDD

My suggestion is going to Golden Sands instead...

I'm not exaggerating but it was everywhere I went, there were mafia in cars asking me if I wanted to buy weed, I saw a guy staggering along by where the bungee trampoline is (not the one right on the pier, the other near the moped stalls) and he'd had the absolute **** kicked out of him. I saw gypsies scamming tourists, guys in bootleg CD shops asking me to swap my phone for cocaine, prostitutes everywhere. I got chased by a taxi driver with a knife at 6am for saying I wasn't going to give him money to help me as I was lost.

You must have sat in the bars all night without walking the streets to other bars because I find it hard to believe you've been there multiple times and saw nothing. Maybe you were drunk and don't remember (not being rude but it might explain it :tongue:)?

The hotel thing, I noticed money going from the table next to the bed every morning and put it down to me being drunk and losing it, eventually I asked my friend if he'd been moving it and he said he'd had money go missing too. Then he couldn't find a tracksuit and I noticed a hat gone missing, then more clothes... we left some leva under the bed sheet as the cleaner was cleaning our room while we were on the balcony and she took it. His parents also had money taken and we confronted her and she suddenly couldn't speak English :rolleyes: and gestured that the wind must've blown it out the door. We asked for a different cleaner and we never got anything back.

All of this sounds about right. When I went, there were mafia everywhere. My friend got chatting to a local girl, who asked him where he was from, then a man in a silk shirt with a lot of gold rings came up, shook his head and slapped him across the face!

Another friend had a prostitute come up to him on the first night, say "sex!", grab him in the balls (causing him to double over in pain), while she pickpocketed him of about £40!

A friend of mine also fell asleep in a cab, meaning the cab driver instantly demanded £50 in compensation, and refused to leave the hotel lobby until he was paid. I also got mugged by folk musicians when walking back late at night along the seafront from Lazur. They jumped out in front of us, started playing music, and when we tried to avoid them one of them got me in a headlock and demanded 2 levs (about 90p!). The whole town had a power cut one day and all the power (including fridges, air conditioning etc) was out of action for half a day! Somebody from our flight did manage to get a blow job in a strip club for about £6 though...

The whole town is a bit like the Wild West!
Anyone been to Tenerife? I'm going there as an end of school holiday with my friends but none of have been.
Reply 31

I stay in my parents apartement so iv never had anything nicked out there the securitys great in my complex. Mabye different areas of the resort are different? I dont know. Im not a big drinker so it wasnt as if i went about blasted not taking my surroundings in. I always have felt safe there I took my 13 sister and her pal out to iceberg, revolution and the bars on the front and never had any problems. I did walk about the resort at night and walked like right down to the old bit. Most people i know that have went are familys so mabye thats why i havent heard any robbery stories, but when i was out anyone i spoke to didnt have any problems. I havent saw any drugs either, we talking about the same sunny beach? Lol
I stay in my parents apartement so iv never had anything nicked out there the securitys great in my complex. Mabye different areas of the resort are different? I dont know. Im not a big drinker so it wasnt as if i went about blasted not taking my surroundings in. I always have felt safe there I took my 13 sister and her pal out to iceberg, revolution and the bars on the front and never had any problems. I did walk about the resort at night and walked like right down to the old bit. Most people i know that have went are familys so mabye thats why i havent heard any robbery stories, but when i was out anyone i spoke to didnt have any problems. I havent saw any drugs either, we talking about the same sunny beach? Lol

Definitely the same SB, see poster above.

Maybe I just looked 'shady' and a potential customer and you looked like you don't take drugs so they never asked? :biggrin:
I went to SB in Bulgaria twice and loved it so cheap for booze, ladies are pretty cheeky but don't mention Berbatov - they dont like him anymore :tongue:
Original post by EssexDan86
it's pretty seedy from what I remember - mafia and prostitutes everywhere! Cheap food and drinks though...

^ This.

Well, it was at least in August 2010.

I didn't experience any problems either whilst I was there.
Reply 36
NI have been to Sunny Beach and overall it was a bit rubbish. There arnt many brits there, and none from northern England. The locals are rude, hotel pallazo was poor for many reasons. The locals are extremely rude! And they rob you, we were robbed twice, the clubs and bars are never full, most peiple are outside walking around rather than in places. Nessebar is worth going to with some decent restaurants, and it can be cheap depending on where you go, and who serves you.
Reply 37
Original post by Aandrew94
Awesome. :smile: sounds good! Reading some reviews, they have said that there aren't many brits there (around 20% were brits it said on one site) and that the majority of people were in their mid 20's did you find this when you went?
Thanks for the quick response btw! :smile:

I went last summer there are tonnes of brits, also loads of scandanavians/germans etc

sunny beach is a ****ing good laugh, the clubs are mental, everyone's bang on it it's a very good laugh

we all got laid no problem

it is pretty cheap, very hot, bulgarian women are incredible...it's not fair

down sides:

bulgarian men are c**ts

everywhere you go people are trying to get money out of you...it gets tiring

ALWAYS check your change - everywhere you go

they make up little fines all the time, one example: i walk out of a cubicle in Viking club...a bouncer claims ive pissed on the floor and i owe him 5 lev! I didn't pay him by the way i was bigger than him

it is dodgy as f**k you can easily get mugged, my mates got chased with machetes

also the food is truely awful, every restaurant serves everything under the sun and it is all ****e

it is a very poor, dodgy weird place...but we had one hell of a week there
Reply 38
Cheap in what respect? The town itself or things like the drinks, food and accommodation?

everything about it, it was like going back in time, everything is half arsed
Reply 39
Been to Bulgaria on holiday 5 years in a row this summers the first im going with a group of pals. I have never heard of any crime in Bulgaria and all the bulgarians iv met arenice. The mafia are everwhere but i wouldnt say its seedy, doesnt seem to be allot of drugs going about either. Foods cheap if you stick to wee bulgarian places(they do the best food anyway) and drinks cheap advrage beer price in a bar is a pound can easily find a beer for fifty pence, cocktails in a dear place are two for a fiver, vodka mixers are two for three pound most places so its pretty good in that respect. Been in iceberg, disco orange, revolution all were pretty good the clubs probably wont be anywhere near some other holiday resorts but still can have a pretty good time. Loads of people most speak english big crowds of brittish late july and august. Probably nowhere near as scenic as spain or the likes but has a wonderful beach good strip of cheap bars and is pretty safe ( havent seen any fights yet).

not seedy? that is a laugh. we went because it was seedy...and it was

i paid 15 lev (7 quid) for the dirtiest lapdance ever...then she goes "50 lev i **** you"

my mate got a blowjob off a pikey in an alley way

there are brothels everywhere

not seedy??? hahaha

also you never heard of any crime in 5 years? that suprises me because i saw two guys try to mug my mate in broad daylight, my mates got chased with machetes one night, the place is run by the mafia FFS

no drugs? you can buy weed from most corner shops it's great

also the sex shop (again...seedy) sells "Magic"...we didn't bother with drugs because I didn't want a come down on holiday but the lads nextdoor assured us it was mephedrone (meow meow)

Quick Reply

Latest