The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3140
Original post by Mochi
Hey guys,

First off, congratulations to those who have already passed, I'm very jealous! And for those who didn't make it, I'm positive that it's just the time pressure that affected your score. I did a practice test and there was one question where I thought "Wtf?? How are you supposed to answer that??" and then looking back on it, it was actually quite simple. I have a feeling this will be my downfall... maybe a beer or two is required beforehand? :P

I have a question for those who have already finished. Is there a break between the numerical reasoning and the logical reasoning? Can you log out and then do the logical reasoning a bit later? I don't know if I should be psyching myself up for both or can take it easy and get a cup of tea to prepare for the next part :biggrin:

NO there is no break between the tests :biggrin:
Those tests :eek: ! And it's only because I read on here that if you get the email "you'll hear from us in April" that I knew I'd passed.

They were horrible. I actually panicked on the numeracy one like I have never panicked in a test before :eek:. The time limit was horrendous :frown:. I actually guessed the majority... I found the logic one fine, really.

I agree with the poster who sent them an email. I found it especially annoying how the questions seem totally irrelevant and how they make you do them after you've spent hours on the essay questions! One of my friends failed the numeracy test and this was something she mentioned - it rendered the rest of the application a total waste of time. :frown:

Well I am just pleased I passed for now :smile: .

Original post by Mochi
I have a question for those who have already finished. Is there a break between the numerical reasoning and the logical reasoning? Can you log out and then do the logical reasoning a bit later? I don't know if I should be psyching myself up for both or can take it easy and get a cup of tea to prepare for the next part :biggrin:

I took a break between mine. I didn't log out though and I had a break for about 20 minutes. The second test is shorter and, in my opinion, much easier, which I think is the better way round.
Reply 3142
Thanks, that's helped quite a lot. I was thinking that you must get a break and so was only preparing for the first part. That could have turned out pretty badly!

I've been speaking to some of my classmates who have already done similar tests for other jobs and they've all told me that it's just a case of getting your head round the timing. I also read that it's better if you do 2/3 of the questions well and leave the rest rather than rush through all of them. I'm not sure how true that is for these tests, but it makes sense I suppose.
Original post by Mochi
Is there a break between the numerical reasoning and the logical reasoning? Can you log out and then do the logical reasoning a bit later? I don't know if I should be psyching myself up for both or can take it easy and get a cup of tea to prepare for the next part :biggrin:

I think you would be able to as after you've completed the numerical there are a couple of screens saying submit, you've completed the numerical and then at the bottom of one it does say click to proceed for the logic so I assume that even if you've logged out when you go back in it will take you to that screen. I'd email just to check :smile: sorry its a rubbish explanation, I've only just done them but I think my brain's decided to blank that experience from my memory
Original post by LemonPi
Those tests :eek: ! And it's only because I read on here that if you get the email "you'll hear from us in April" that I knew I'd passed.

They were horrible. I actually panicked on the numeracy one like I have never panicked in a test before :eek:. The time limit was horrendous :frown:. I actually guessed the majority... I found the logic one fine, really.

I agree with the poster who sent them an email. I found it especially annoying how the questions seem totally irrelevant and how they make you do them after you've spent hours on the essay questions! One of my friends failed the numeracy test and this was something she mentioned - it rendered the rest of the application a total waste of time. :frown:

Well I am just pleased I passed for now :smile:.

I feel exactly the same as you. I seriously panicked on the numerical as well, how the hell I've passed I've got no idea. I'm just so relieved.

Well done btw :smile:
Reply 3145
Same here. I got stuck on one of the mathematical aptitude questions and wasted way too much time on it, so ended up rushing through the last ones... I probably found the first logic ones harder because I was so shaken up with the math ones.

But advice to all those of you that are yet to sit the test: even if you think you're doing terribly, don't stress out. I thought I was doing terribly and got the "we will contact candidates in April email", so don't stress whilst doing it!

Good luck!
Reply 3146
Did anyone else have trouble including paragraph breaks in their essay questions? They are there when I copy and paste my answers into the text box, but disappear when I preview my application, so that each answer is one big messy lump of text. Is there a way to stop this? Or will the breaks 'reappear' when they come to mark them? Left it a bit late for 'technical support' -whoops!! Just wanted to spend the maximum amount of time working on my application.

Congratulations to everyone who's passed the test, I'm dreading them!!
Original post by Emily996
Did anyone else have trouble including paragraph breaks in their essay questions? They are there when I copy and paste my answers into the text box, but disappear when I preview my application, so that each answer is one big messy lump of text. Is there a way to stop this? Or will the breaks 'reappear' when they come to mark them? Left it a bit late for 'technical support' -whoops!! Just wanted to spend the maximum amount of time working on my application.

Congratulations to everyone who's passed the test, I'm dreading them!!

Just sent mine off and same...I actually spent ages putting the text into "easy to read" paragraphs to find the same as you when I previewed the app. Oh well - I don't think it is overly important.

When do you plan on doing the online tests? After spending all day staring at the screen amending my answers I won't be doing them tonight!
Reply 3148
Original post by bibi1306
Just sent mine off and same...I actually spent ages putting the text into "easy to read" paragraphs to find the same as you when I previewed the app. Oh well - I don't think it is overly important.

When do you plan on doing the online tests? After spending all day staring at the screen amending my answers I won't be doing them tonight!

Me too! I'm considering putting in the '//' symbol in to signify a new paragraph but that will look really silly if the paragraph breaks are restored when they mark them and they're not particularly professional either..

Same!! I'm going to get up early before work tomorrow and do them as I didn't think a work frazzled brain would be very wise either.
Reply 3149
Hello Everyone!

Hope you are all getting on ok with your applications! I've been agonising over these essay questions for a week now, hence the fact that I'm only just typing them up tonight!

I was just wondering if anyone could help me, I want to know whether you must complete the online reasoning tests straight after you send off you app, or whether you can come back to it later? I know the deadline for the tests is the 29th, so that kind of suggests you have a bit more time after you've completed the essay questions?

Just thought I would make sure, as I don't want to mess up the tests!

Does anyone know of any websites apart from the one they give you to practice the reasoning tests? In need of a few practice ones that actually tell me what I got wrong so I can improve!

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by KL2012
Hello Everyone!

Hope you are all getting on ok with your applications! I've been agonising over these essay questions for a week now, hence the fact that I'm only just typing them up tonight!

I was just wondering if anyone could help me, I want to know whether you must complete the online reasoning tests straight after you send off you app, or whether you can come back to it later? I know the deadline for the tests is the 29th, so that kind of suggests you have a bit more time after you've completed the essay questions?

Just thought I would make sure, as I don't want to mess up the tests!

Does anyone know of any websites apart from the one they give you to practice the reasoning tests? In need of a few practice ones that actually tell me what I got wrong so I can improve!

Thank you! :smile:

You don't need to do the tests straight after submitting the application; you can come back to them later. That's what I did anyway...

I couldn't find much practice tests online apart from a few which you had to actually buy to solve (!)..

I passed my tests but as everyone said the practice tests do not reflect the level of difficulty AT ALL! Especially for the numerical reasoning one.. I found the diagrammatic one quite okay. I would suggest to take advantage of the two days you have and practice on whatever you find and just prepare yourself NOT to panic (as I did when I first saw the tests) :P
Reply 3151
Original post by Penguin22
You don't need to do the tests straight after submitting the application; you can come back to them later. That's what I did anyway...

I couldn't find much practice tests online apart from a few which you had to actually buy to solve (!)..

I passed my tests but as everyone said the practice tests do not reflect the level of difficulty AT ALL! Especially for the numerical reasoning one.. I found the diagrammatic one quite okay. I would suggest to take advantage of the two days you have and practice on whatever you find and just prepare yourself NOT to panic (as I did when I first saw the tests) :P

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. I kind of feel the same as a lot of other people feel in the fact that I've been waiting to apply for this since I graduated and it might all come down to the fact I get a few of the pattern recognition ones wrong, if only I had a degree in this and not BMS he he :smile:
wthel they were the hardest questions ever how can anyone answer them in that time frame i didnt manange to get a single one right

FUBAR
Holy Moley! :eek:

I had no idea this scheme was so popular; I have just walked my girlfriend through the application process (started yesterday, finished today) - and clearly we havent had the time to put in as much effort as others here! We had no idea, Something tells me we will be lowering our expectations rapidly!! :frown:

Can anyone vouch for anyone they know who have applied successfully without PhDs/1yr+ lab experience/ professional medical experience - and been successful?

I saw the number 30,000 applications for 400 posts... (at 4 applications per person, thats ~19 people per post!) stiff (but not as bad as I initially thought!) competition!

Just... blown away really. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
http://www.assessmentday.co.uk/aptitudetests_numerical.htm

These are the only decent free ones I could find (scroll to bottom of page for them). The pattern logic ones are under inductive reasoning. Good luck to everyone who's still to do them and try not to panic, I know its easier said than done though as I told myself I wouldn't yet I did. My suggestion - have a break between the two, drink some water and have some chocolate :biggrin:
Original post by UpliftMof0
Holy Moley! :eek:

I had no idea this scheme was so popular; I have just walked my girlfriend through the application process (started yesterday, finished today) - and clearly we havent had the time to put in as much effort as others here! We had no idea, Something tells me we will be lowering our expectations rapidly!! :frown:

Can anyone vouch for anyone they know who have applied successfully without PhDs/1yr+ lab experience/ professional medical experience - and been successful?

I saw the number 300,000 applications for 400 posts... (at 4 applications per person, thats ~190 people per post!) stiff competition!

Just... blown away really. :s-smilie:

Is that really true? :eek: That seems like a hell of a lot of people, I'd be shocked if that many applied tbh. I suppose the thing you have to remember as well is that not everyone who applies passes the minimum requirements for the scheme, a lot will fail the tests and a lot will have the wrong the degree. That should cut down the numbers significantly, but I've never heard of a scheme having 300,000 applicants, surely that can't be right? :confused:
Reply 3156
DEAR GOD!!! You people were not exaggerating! I honestly thought, how hard can they really be? But those tests were horrific!! I got the 'we will inform you in April' email but can't honestly believe my performance would have equated to any kind of a pass, so keep going back to my email to check the fail email hasn't arrived too! To anyone left to sit them - honestly even if you think you're doing terribly, keep going!!

With regards to the number of applicants, I'm pretty sure at the interviews last year they told us they'd received 30,000 applications BUT each person could apply to up to 3 (4?) positions and last year there was nothing to actually stop you applying to as many positions as you wanted (even thought they told you 3/4? max) so obviously this would have pushed the number up significantly. So the scheme is very competitive but not quite as bad as it initially seems.
Hello!

I'm new to the forum, but after reading this thought I'd drop people here a line...

I've just finished my online tests (Numeracy and Logic), and I got the "We will aim to start contacting candidates in April to inform you on the outcome of your application" email so I am assuming I have passed them as people have suggested it on here?!

To be honest, I am very suprised I passed... I had a shocker! I did it in a noisey computer room at Uni because my laptop is currently out of action. I didn't manage to answer all of the questions on either test, which leads me to think that accuracy is more important than finishing the test? Makes sense that they are after people who answer fewer questions but get a higher percentage correct, as opposed to people who answer them all randomly and get a few wrong? After all, the job is based around accuracy...

Thoughts?

John
DEAR GOD!!! You people were not exaggerating! I honestly thought, how hard can they really be? But those tests were horrific!! I got the 'we will inform you in April' email but can't honestly believe my performance would have equated to any kind of a pass, so keep going back to my email to check the fail email hasn't arrived too! To anyone left to sit them - honestly even if you think you're doing terribly, keep going!!

With regards to the number of applicants, I'm pretty sure at the interviews last year they told us they'd received 30,000 applications BUT each person could apply to up to 3 (4?) positions and last year there was nothing to actually stop you applying to as many positions as you wanted (even thought they told you 3/4? max) so obviously this would have pushed the number up significantly. So the scheme is very competitive but not quite as bad as it initially seems.

Oh that's not so bad then. I think there will obviously be areas and positions which are more competitive than others because more people have applied to them, like I have a feeling biochem will be very popular, especially in London. Hopefully I haven't picked any hugely popular ones, but it will still be very competitive.

...they told us they'd received 30,000 applications ...

Apologies, I typed 300,000, but meant 30,000. The calculation is instead:

30,000 applications/4 apps per person = 7,500 people.

7,500 people / 400 posts = ~19 people per post.
- that is much better!

Glad that was picked up, will edit original post - but still a lot of people!

Any long-time members of this thread; how have physiological sciences fared in terms of popularity? In particular cardiac, vascular & respiratory? are you seeing people discuss these a lot, or is biochem the only really heavily subscribed area (this is my impression scanning over)?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending