The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5760
I'm starting to get Oscar fever! :excited:

My two besties coming to mine for an all-nighter. Score sheets. Snacks. Cocktails. Bring it on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5761
Original post by Christien
Sorry, I was pretty blasted when I wrote that. I just really hate Hell on Wheels. I maintain that outside of Givens and the odd creative shooting, it isn't really that western. They love the imagery, but the recent season, for example, is more of a long-form mob film than anything else.

How come out of interest? I agree it's not as good as Justified but I don't think it's that bad, its an entertaining watch.

You have to agree that the main actress is ****ing hot though :coma:

Original post by Deshi
How come out of interest? I agree it's not as good as Justified but I don't think it's that bad, its an entertaining watch.

You have to agree that the main actress is ****ing hot though :coma:

It deals with racial themes and completely sanitises them (good characters are not racist or reformed racists, bad characters are almost uniformly racist jerks), its characters can mostly be neatly divided into binary categories of 'good' and 'evil'*, it has the worst love triangle in the history of broadcast television, and mostly, it's a waste of a fascinating premise.

And yeah, she's really fit.

*Besides Durant, who seems to be a transparent riff on Deadwood's Swearengen anyway. They also try to make the preacher dark, but even then; he only ever killed racist dickholes in his 'troubled' past anyway. Bohannon's drinking is basically his only flaw; take that away and he's basically Steve McGarrett from Hawaii 5-0 in a cowboy outfit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Has Michael Bay actually ever directed a good film?

yeah, The Rock (1996) was a pretty good action-thriller. It's still his best film imo. and The Island was alright aswell.
[video="youtube;5114WHxofzU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5114WHxofzU[/video]

The MPAA have given it an R rating, which is plain stupid.
Original post by Nucleolus
The MPAA have given it an R rating, which is plain stupid.

What's equally stupid is that Weinstein is kicking up a huge stink threatening to leave the MPAA over it (which we all know he won't) when he has a very easy out: simply withdraw the submission to the MPAA and leave it unrated. That way he won't be stopped from showing it in any school, and it won't have any impacts on it having a wide theatrical release because it was never going to get one of those anyway. But instead it's easy to posture about how unfair everything is without looking for any solutions yourself.
Original post by Phalanges
What's equally stupid is that Weinstein is kicking up a huge stink threatening to leave the MPAA over it (which we all know he won't) when he has a very easy out: simply withdraw the submission to the MPAA and leave it unrated. That way he won't be stopped from showing it in any school, and it won't have any impacts on it having a wide theatrical release because it was never going to get one of those anyway. But instead it's easy to posture about how unfair everything is without looking for any solutions yourself.

I completely agree; instead of actively trying to find a solution, and withdrawing the film from the MPAA since it's entirely voluntary, he's petitioning to Lady GaGa to put pressure on them for the film to be seen without restrictions. :s-smilie: I guess Weinstein is just used to getting what he wants.
Original post by Nucleolus
I completely agree; instead of actively trying to find a solution, and withdrawing the film from the MPAA since it's entirely voluntary, he's petitioning to Lady GaGa to put pressure on them for the film to be seen without restrictions. :s-smilie: I guess Weinstein is just used to getting what he wants.

I almost want to write an article about it, just so I could use the headline "bully bullies bullies about Bully".
So how excited are we about this? Saw the trailer on the big screen the other day and now I absolutely can't wait.

Completely forgot about the Oscars.
I saw the film "Immortals" recently, my cousin said it was better than 300 so I watched it but to be honest I prefer 300, I think it is way better. I did not really like the immortals. The fight scenes were O.k, I liked some, because of the bloodiness and effects. What do you guys think of this film? And which one do you prefer, 300 or Immortals?
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Completely forgot about the Oscars.
Shameful.
Original post by TheNightmare
I saw the film "Immortals" recently, my cousin said it was better than 300 so I watched it but to be honest I prefer 300, I think it is way better. I did not really like the immortals. The fight scenes were O.k, I liked some, because of the bloodiness and effects. What do you guys think of this film? And which one do you prefer, 300 or Immortals?

It was awful. The depiction of the Greek Gods and Titans was terrible. Since when did the Titans look like burnt zombies? It had ridiculously cheesy dialogue, a nonsensical plot, cringe-worthy acting, bland fight scenes, poorly thought out characters, a cheap ending and was an all-round complete violation of Greek mythology.

300 is a much better film in all departments.
Reply 5773
George Michael just won an Oscar for editing?
2012 Oscars Winners

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
If I was George Clooney I'd be absolutely gutted, didn't win best actor for probably is career defining performance.
What a dull year.
Poor poor Puss In Boots. :frown:
Using my crystal ball I predict next year's best actor is going to go to Liam Neeson
LOL For what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending