The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Extra time/Exams...

What's the big fuss over people complaining about too many people having extra time, why are some people so sensitive? It's 2012 you have to think outside the box, you have to lie and cheat if you want to get further in life, you can't always do things by the book.

To get extra time all I did was tell my exams co-ordinator I'm a slower writer, I took a writing test to test my speed, obviously I wrote slow on purpose and was awarded extra time. Had I not done that I would have probably lost so many marks, same applies to applying for jobs too, think outside the box. I was in the sauna the other day with a bunch of late 20 - mid 30 year olds, and the topic was work, and someone popped the question "How did you all get your jobs" and everyone said they cheated in someone way, they knew a manager or a friend helped them in. I wasn't suprised, it works. I'm currently in a graduate job, and I'm not even a graduate. Some job vaccancies only advertise for graduates because before they even start interviewing they've already reduced hundreds of applicants.

Also, did you guys know that when you upload your CV onto the likes of REED/TOTAL JOBS that they scan you CV for keywords. If you apply for a sales job, a computer will scan your CV for keywords related to sales. I bet half of you didn't know that, eh?

Not trying to come across as a know it all because I'm not, I simply know the things that matter and that will benefit me.

I didn't intend writing all of this, but I have now, not really bothered if anyone actually takes on what I've said but seriously stop being a goodie-2-shoes all your life, otherwise you'll get absolutely nowhere.

Scroll to see replies

People can get further in their careers without 'cheating', although I wouldn't exactly count family members/friends helping you get a job 'cheating', it's a common occurrence and not exactly thinking outside the box.

As for getting unneeded extra time during exams, that's your choice to make but a lot of people do well without having to lie.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
People can get further in their careers without 'cheating', although I wouldn't exactly count family members/friends helping you get a job 'cheating', it's a common occurrence and not exactly thinking outside the box.

As for getting unneeded extra time during exams, that's your choice to make but a lot of people do well without having to lie.

It's not cheating, but I'm talking about lying on your V and about other stuff. And why do you want to be on the same level as a "lot of people" why not have extra time and excel past them. It's not about not being able to do well, it's about excelling further and progressing.
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
It's not cheating, but I'm talking about lying on your V and about other stuff. And why do you want to be on the same level as a "lot of people" why not have extra time and excel past them. It's not about not being able to do well, it's about excelling further and progressing.

Extra time doesn't necessarily make you do better; time doesn't give you prompts for the answers it just gives you longer to write what you know down so it's reliant on you actually knowing everything.

Bringing notes into an exam would be more helpful to me than having longer but I don't see the point in cheating. I always finished my exams early and couldn't wait to get out and still did really well so an extra 20 mins would make me really restless.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Extra time doesn't necessarily make you do better; time doesn't give you prompts for the answers it just gives you longer to write what you know down so it's reliant on you actually knowing everything.

Bringing notes into an exam would be more helpful to me than having longer but I don't see the point in cheating. I always finished my exams early and couldn't wait to get out and still did really well so an extra 20 mins would make me really restless.

Extra time doesn't make you do better, it allows for the opportunity to do better. When you're under-pressure you mess up and sometimes can't think straight, knowing you have 20 mins extra to go back to questions you missed out and focus on them is great.
Reply 5
I got extra time without cheating. by deliberately cheating you are messing up the chances for people who actually need help. you dont need it. you're a big liar.
Reply 6
Extra time doesn't make you do better, it allows for the opportunity to do better. When you're under-pressure you mess up and sometimes can't think straight, knowing you have 20 mins extra to go back to questions you missed out and focus on them is great.

This is complete rubbish. I get extra time because I need it. It doesn't always mean I have more time to focus; nor do I always do better.
Original post by MrHappy_J
I got extra time without cheating. by deliberately cheating you are messing up the chances for people who actually need help. you dont need it. you're a big liar.

Messing up the chances for others other to have it? Plan worked then. And yes I lied, what a pointless post you have made...

Original post by OU Student
This is complete rubbish. I get extra time because I need it. It doesn't always mean I have more time to focus; nor do I always do better.

Yes because YOU need it. I never needed it, which meant I could excel!!
Reply 8
Messing up the chances for others other to have it? Plan worked then. And yes I lied, what a pointless post you have made...

you basically have no morality. good luck to you mate.
Original post by MrHappy_J
you basically have no morality. good luck to you mate.

I have loads of morality, for the right things though. You have to be ruthless in life otherwise you'll just end up in a **** job, with **** pay, end up being a push-over and no-one in work will like you lmao
Reply 10
Good thing IPs can actually be traced back to the person, which university were you again?
Original post by Chr0n
Good thing IPs can actually be traced back to the person, which university were you again?

I work in IT, you won't be able to trace my I.P it automatically changes everytime I turn my PC on.

You give those of us who need it a bad name.:mad: I think it's disgusting - you're taking something that you don't need.
You give those of us who need it a bad name.:mad: I think it's disgusting - you're taking something that you don't need.

Are you one of those people that when you go to someone's house and they offer you tea and biscuits you say no, even though you really want it, just to be polite?....

I don't care what you think either.
Reply 14
Are you one of those people that when you go to someone's house and they offer you tea and biscuits you say no, even though you really want it, just to be polite?....

Cool story bro :rolleyes:

Hardly comparable. :rolleyes:
Hardly comparable. :rolleyes:

It's not a comparison... it's a scenario in which you avoided answering. Just be ****ing straight up and honest.
'Cheating refers to immoral way of achieving a goal' Wikipedia
It's not a comparison... it's a scenario in which you avoided answering. Just be ****ing straight up and honest.

Why should I? There's no need to be so bloody rude about it.
human decency perhaps? Ethics, morals etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending