The Student Room Group

What do you think of Primark?

I absolutely love Primark. Cheap clothes, decent quality. Why would I pay 20 pounds for a shirt in say Topman when I can get a just as good one in Primark for less than 5 pounds? My best buy has to have been a 4 pound pair of brogues. Yes that's right, 4 pounds!!!!!!!! I got them from the stratford westfields store just before Christmas. A friend of mine has brogues from topman which he paid 60 odd quid for. He said he is kicking himself for paying that much after seeing mine. So what are everyones thoughts on Primark?

Scroll to see replies

I love it. Yeah, it might not always be the best quality or most fashionable, but it's very well priced and as a student, there's not much else I can afford.
Some of the stuff's alright but I wouldn't buy an entire wardrobe of it. I don't think it's particularly good quality plus cheapness of the clothes make me question the ethics behind how the clothes are made
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
The only thing I wouldn't buy from Primark is work clothes. Such as blazers and tailored trousers etc.
Reply 4
You get what you pay for, I've had a few items of clothing from Primark but the quality has never been great.

Better than Topman though, that is such a vile place. A hideous place where chavs go to buy a £40 'The Ramones' t-shirt and carrot chinos so they can pretend they're 'indie'. Suppose that is alright if you want to look like a member of One Direction though.

H&M is good and is where I usually shop for clothes. Good quality, quite cheap and the clothes are normal...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by pink pineapple
Some of the stuff's alright but I wouldn't buy an entire wardrobe of it. I don't think it's particularly good quality plus cheapness of the clothes make me question the ethnicity behind how the clothes are made.

What do you mean by ethnicity behind how the clothes are made? Are you saying you would rather the people who make the clothing be out of a job and have absolutely no income...?
Tbh I hate Primark. The clothes look cheap and tacky (because obviously, they are cheap) and the quality is just horrendous.
Bad quality, bad fit.

Good for cheap **** for dressing up theme nights.
used to love them but after a series of buying some things that turned out to be crap i have been greatly put off them especially as i got some better quality clothes after from other shops and the difference was really noticable.
Reply 9
horrible products, horrible shopping experience
If you like to buy high street clothes then primark is good.
In my mind all high street shops are the same so yea why spend 20 when you can spend 5 completely agree.
Reply 11
Original post by Dorito
You get what you pay for, I've had a few items of clothing from Primark but the quality has never been great.

Better than Topman though, that is such a vile place. A hideous place where chavs go to buy a £40 'The Ramones' t-shirt and carrot chinos so they can pretend they're indie. :throwup:

H&M is good and is where I usually shop for clothes. Good quality, quite cheap and the clothes are normal...

H&M is my second choice for clothes as well. But is just me or has their mens range got slightly poor lately?
Reply 12
It's pretty decent yeah :smile:
Original post by footyadd
What do you mean by ethnicity behind how the clothes are made? Are you saying you would rather the people who make the clothing be out of a job and have absolutely no income...?

Well no, but the fact that the clothes are so cheap means the pay is hardly going to be a lot,.which means it won't be a great source of income anyway.
Well sure. If you enjoy exploiting third world nations and having 10 year old kids
die, chained to machines to make your shoes, or Primark tops... Sure.

I would much rather the children die of a humanitarian cause i.e. hunger or poverty
rather than dying being the material dreams of a deluded westerner.
Reply 15
Original post by Serentonin
Bad quality, bad fit.

Good for cheap **** for dressing up theme nights.

I've heard that the mens quality of clothing and fit is 100 times better than the girls. So i'm just going on the menswear. Everything I have purchased from Primark has been decent quality and decent fit (Apart from a t-shirt which ripped... in the.... washing machine. *smh*)
Reply 16
Well no, but the fact that the clothes are so cheap means the pay is hardly going to be a lot,.which means it won't be a great source of income anyway.

So ethics not ethnicity?
It's good for fashion items, as in things you're not planning to wear often, but in my opinion the prices have gone up considerably, and the quality has gone downhill. Obviously with stuff like your shoes, who really cares if they break soon at only £4
Reply 18

Better than no income when you can't supply food for the family. Their pay would atleast put food in their stomachs.
Reply 19
It depends really... I mean I don't go to top shop (I went there for the first time two weeks ago - made me feel horrendously fat and I'm a size 12), but I don't really by clothes from primark unless its things that are loose, because things that are tight break more easily (and that's not because I'm fat) or get holes... So only really if it's made from a sturdy fabric.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending