The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Seems like lots of med schools are getting more patient contact in first year than us, we've had 2 half-day GP visits so far and 1 full day and 1 half day hospital visit. Do have another afternoon in hospital this week though :biggrin:
Spent the weekend virtually being drunk from 7pm onwards on most nights, and then just completely doing jack **** in the day time. Decided to try and so some eye anatomy this evening, but I decided that call the midwife might be more educational...
Original post by fairy spangles
I just think the reality of how much ****e im in just hit home. Keep having periods of feeling okay then really motivated to do work, then next minute i just feel like theres no point. Deep breath!
Sounds pretty tough, poor you. Is this about finals? Or something else? If finals, it's not uncommon (though horrid) - think most of my friends felt that way at some point (I know I did) and they all passed so feeling like that doesn't mean you're not going to do well.

Can you rant to others in your year and have a de-stressing night out/in? Or talk to F1/2s who went to your med school? I found this really helped me get perspective and funny/reassuring OSCE tales of being utterly useless but still passing. How are your medical school being at the moment? If the FtP stuff is still on going, make sure you have some moral support from the BMA and your student academic rep/sim.

Basically, I don't have much advice but am thinking of you.

:hugs: again
Original post by Elles
... am I spending way too much of my life in parent-child TA mode?!
I love TA (very interesting trying to apply it to consultations on elective)! Given the below, maybe you're just putting in some practice ... :wink:
Original post by Elles
Think I need to keep mine at 3 years worth of scheme because hopefully there will be some personal interruptions & don't want to break the 7 year rule. :biggrin:

/broodiness

(recent life lesson: oestrogen-fuelled gushing of 'OhlookwhatacutebabyIwantone!' to male friend can get badly misinterpreted)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fairy spangles
I just think the reality of how much ****e im in just hit home. Keep having periods of feeling okay then really motivated to do work, then next minute i just feel like theres no point. Deep breath!

You'll be fine...everyone is with finals :biggrin: Well, the vast majority are. Think about it...the MRCP and other entrance exams have a pass rate of about 30%, whereas approximately 98% of people pass finals! It's stressful I know, but just keep on seeing patients and doing some light reading. I personally think it's too late now to write notes, so don't try furiously scribbling down every piece of information about galactosaemia or whichever bizarre disorder you think you don't know enough about. Review the basics and you'll be laughing :smile:
General opinions on outfirms vs infirms @ London?
Original post by graemematt
You'll be fine...everyone is with finals :biggrin: Well, the vast majority are. Think about it...the MRCP and other entrance exams have a pass rate of about 30%, whereas approximately 98% of people pass finals! It's stressful I know, but just keep on seeing patients and doing some light reading. I personally think it's too late now to write notes, so don't try furiously scribbling down every piece of information about galactosaemia or whichever bizarre disorder you think you don't know enough about. Review the basics and you'll be laughing :smile:

Yeah, I honestly feel with a month to finals that if you don't know how to examine a patient or know how to spot a STEMI you are in deep ****.

My revision is consisting of reading the medical bits of OHCM, surgical talk and plenty of time learning the OSCE 'scripts'.
Original post by graemematt

70% fail the mrcp? **** me.
Original post by RollerBall

I've heard it said that the difference between undergrad and postgrad exams is that at undergrad, when you walk into the room you've passed, and you have to prove to the examiner why they should fail you. At postgrad, when you walk in you've failed, and you have to prove why they should pass you.

Remember all that basic science we were told we would never know as it was 'not clinically relevant'....? #bitesyourass
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I've heard it said that the difference between undergrad and postgrad exams is that at undergrad, when you walk into the room you've passed, and you have to prove to the examiner why they should fail you. At postgrad, when you walk in you've failed, and you have to prove why they should pass you.

Nice! I like that.

Edit: Just seen possibly the noobiest thread revival ever-6 years. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207130&p=36541334#post36541334
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by digitalis
Nice! I like that.

Edit: Just seen possibly the noobiest thread revival ever-6 years. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207130&p=36541334#post36541334

Haha! I repped the poster for this. Anyone who genuinely cares about someone else's GCSE homework from 6 years ago has to receive merit for his/her achievements :biggrin:

I really hope the person replies with "thank GOD you finally posted, I've been stuck for 6 years!!!!" ...
Why am I still in the ****ing lab?
Oh yeah, because I need to pick virgin flies and do heat-shocks at ridiculous hours. It's a shame my supervisor always leaves after lunch. She must think I'm a right wasteman turning up at 10am. If only she saw me work this late.
I ran 16 miles yesterday :biggrin:

Today. Pain.

Why am I putting myself through this? :bawling:

Oh wait, MedicineMan this is your fault :colonhash:

MedicineMan
x

In other news, found £10 on the ground today :h:

It has been added to my fundraising total :colone:
Reply 9335
General opinions on outfirms vs infirms @ London?
Outfirms tend to give better teaching, more involvement and more social.
Reply 9336
MRCP isn't even the hardest...
Original post by Renal
MRCP isn't even the hardest...

Isn't the Gas exam the hardest?
Talking about the RCP, they had an EGM today, looks like the physicians are finally mobilising...http://abetternhs.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/rcp/
Reply 9339
Original post by digitalis
Remember all that basic science we were told we would never know as it was 'not clinically relevant'....? #bitesyourass
Uh oh. Thanks for the warning! :eek:

Latest