The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UpliftMof0

Can anyone vouch for anyone they know who have applied successfully without PhDs/1yr+ lab experience/ professional medical experience - and been successful?

I've been in contact with someone who got into the STP who graduated from Bristol last year. They only have their undergraduate degree.#

I don't think it's the case that simply by having another degree/PhD you're more likely to get a place, I think it's just that those things might be a benefit in terms of the experience/you might know more of your field etc. If you see what I mean?
Original post by LemonPi
I've been in contact with someone who got into the STP who graduated from Bristol last year. They only have their undergraduate degree.#

I don't think it's the case that simply by having another degree/PhD you're more likely to get a place, I think it's just that those things might be a benefit in terms of the experience/you might know more of your field etc. If you see what I mean?

Yeah... that makes sense, I mean it essentially a graduate scheme with an incorporated masters degree. Seems strange to ask for qualifications beyond degree level. I think experience in a laboratory is very desirable though, but that can take the form of a placement...
Reply 3162
I think it is that a lot of what you find in the person specification are skills that people with a science PhD should already be proficient at ie- ability to critically assess research, plan experiments, work autonomously... that kind of thing. This doesn't mean that a recent graduate doesn't have the abilities, it's just that PhDs have gone through a "pre-screening" process, effectively. Which might be why it may seem that there's a lot of them in there.
Hi,

Been lurking on here for a year on this particular thread - how bad is it that the most comprehensive source of information on this training scheme has been derived from a bunch of people who've applied collaborating their experiences and findings??

Anyway, only felt the need to register and comment after just taking the online tests. All I can say is what the f****ing hell?! I thought I was applying for a clinical scientist position, not to be an investment banker on the Wall Street stock market - jesus those numeracy questions were just ridiculous. Thing is I got the old " You have not met the benchmark" message - but I only did one test? I wonder if you fail one they just stop you right there, I don;t know so I've emailed tech support, because the strange thing is when I logged in it said "Thanks for completing the practice test", when I hadn't even seen the practice test.... nonetheless I knew from previous comments that it would be nothing like the actual test, and with these kinds of tests I don't imagine practicing elsewhere is going to make much difference, so I just dived straight in.

Hell if you passed that test without any guesswork then I guess you are the calibre they are looking for, I was working on the first question and still came up with the wrong answer then realised I'd spent 5 damn minutes on it, so that didn't help, then really all I saw was a sea of numbers and I just gave up and pretty much guessed, obviously not correctly.

I guess the reason they do this after the essay questions is to stop people registering under different accounts and retaking it, that and them wanting to see how dedicated you are in the first place, but yes what the hell this has to do with anyones ability to perform well in the role is anybodys guess, fire off all the emails you want but it won't make a bit of difference. When I first read they had implemented these tests I kinda guessed I'd screw up so I'm not completely surprised and disappointed, at the very least the process got me updating my CV and revising my personal statement which I haven't done in some 5-6 years so I suppose there is a silver lining.

Completeley bewildered by how difficult that was. Wow.
Original post by Methtical
Hi,

Been lurking on here for a year on this particular thread - how bad is it that the most comprehensive source of information on this training scheme has been derived from a bunch of people who've applied collaborating their experiences and findings??

Anyway, only felt the need to register and comment after just taking the online tests. All I can say is what the f****ing hell?! I thought I was applying for a clinical scientist position, not to be an investment banker on the Wall Street stock market - jesus those numeracy questions were just ridiculous. Thing is I got the old " You have not met the benchmark" message - but I only did one test? I wonder if you fail one they just stop you right there, I don;t know so I've emailed tech support, because the strange thing is when I logged in it said "Thanks for completing the practice test", when I hadn't even seen the practice test.... nonetheless I knew from previous comments that it would be nothing like the actual test, and with these kinds of tests I don't imagine practicing elsewhere is going to make much difference, so I just dived straight in.

Hell if you passed that test without any guesswork then I guess you are the calibre they are looking for, I was working on the first question and still came up with the wrong answer then realised I'd spent 5 damn minutes on it, so that didn't help, then really all I saw was a sea of numbers and I just gave up and pretty much guessed, obviously not correctly.

I guess the reason they do this after the essay questions is to stop people registering under different accounts and retaking it, that and them wanting to see how dedicated you are in the first place, but yes what the hell this has to do with anyones ability to perform well in the role is anybodys guess, fire off all the emails you want but it won't make a bit of difference. When I first read they had implemented these tests I kinda guessed I'd screw up so I'm not completely surprised and disappointed, at the very least the process got me updating my CV and revising my personal statement which I haven't done in some 5-6 years so I suppose there is a silver lining.

Exactly my thoughts on the first test!!

What, you only did one test?? I thought they took an average from both tests?
Reply 3165
I graduated in Biomedical Sciences last year and went for Immunology. Just took the tests and passed. I thought the numeracy one was ok, although could have done with a couple more minutes. The logic one started off fairly easily, which was misleading. The later questions were almost impossible and the time limit was far too short.

Seeing how many people failed (and how no-one here has said they've applied for Immunology), I think my chances at getting an interview are ok.
hey! I was only able to do one set of questions too. didnt do he nest part.[QUOTE=Methtical;36544

Hi,

also emailes tech team..let meknow when they reply to you please.
Was that before you got the "good news" cherryredlips?

If I'd thought about it more, a pass would class as 12 out of 20 questions correct IIRC, so I'd have been better off trying to answer 12 right rather than try and plough through them all, but saying that I doubt I'd have even achieved that, would average 1.5 mins per question, took me about 30 secs to read through and understand what they were asking, let alone start to calculate an answer. Friggin hate maths!!!
Was that before you got the "good news" cherryredlips?

If I'd thought about it more, a pass would class as 12 out of 20 questions correct IIRC, so I'd have been better off trying to answer 12 right rather than try and plough through them all, but saying that I doubt I'd have even achieved that, would average 1.5 mins per question, took me about 30 secs to read through and understand what they were asking, let alone start to calculate an answer. Friggin hate maths!!!

No the bad news:-(
Reply 3170
By some miracle I managed to pass. I still don't know how, my maths is terrible and I had to do so much revision and practice tests beforehand. I was so stressed during it that I don't even remember the questions or how I managed :O This is a terrible method of determining candidates - when are we ever going to be required to give financial information based on calculations from a table in about 20 seconds?? And even though I'm through this part, I've read that they can re-test you during assessment centres so we might have to go through the whole thing again!

Does anyone know if they use your actual marks when comparing candidates?
Probably, it's one way of whittling down what must be a ridiculous number of applicants for so few positions, or else why bother doing them in the first place?

Not holding my breath on getting an email from tech support to be honest, I imagine they will stall until after the 29th then give it the old "sorry it's too late now".
Probably, it's one way of whittling down what must be a ridiculous number of applicants for so few positions, or else why bother doing them in the first place?

Not holding my breath on getting an email from tech support to be honest, I imagine they will stall until after the 29th then give it the old "sorry it's too late now".

I think they should le you you do those tests first, before waisting ur time filling in that tidious application.
Reply 3173
Just thought I'd throw my point of the whole thing into the mix, to sum it up I thought the system was a complete mess, from the poorly designed application form to the essay questions that alot of people would have spent of time on for no one to even read them.

I failed the first numeracy test and it didnt allow me to take the second, from reading, this isn't how I thought I would receive my results so I have no idea if its broken or correct.

Very disappointed in the whole thing this year.
Reply 3174
Do we get an auto rejection if we failed? Just completed it and got an email saying:

"We will aim to start contacting candidates in April to inform you on the outcome of your application"

So.... does that mean I passed? I mean the tests did seem quite easy (maybe deceptively so!), think I got pretty much all maths ones right, wasn't too sure about the last 5 of the Logical Reasoning though! pretty much had to guess them :frown: cause of the time limit!

Aiming for genetics! common interview!!!
Original post by alex83
I graduated in Biomedical Sciences last year and went for Immunology. Just took the tests and passed. I thought the numeracy one was ok, although could have done with a couple more minutes. The logic one started off fairly easily, which was misleading. The later questions were almost impossible and the time limit was far too short.

Seeing how many people failed (and how no-one here has said they've applied for Immunology), I think my chances at getting an interview are ok.

I thought my chances of getting an interview would be good as well, especially as I have 12 months of lab experience as a trainee BMS. But apparently 30,000 people applied last year. So even if half of them fail the tests, that means 15,000 people are competing for 400 jobs. They'll probably interview a couple of thousand at the most, so I don't think any of us should get too complacent :frown:
Lol that a few people are saying the tests were "ok" or "quite easy" now makes me wonder if I'm just plain thick.
Original post by Freyr
Do we get an auto rejection if we failed? Just completed it and got an email saying:

"We will aim to start contacting candidates in April to inform you on the outcome of your application"

So.... does that mean I passed? I mean the tests did seem quite easy (maybe deceptively so!), think I got pretty much all maths ones right, wasn't too sure about the last 5 of the Logical Reasoning though! pretty much had to guess them :frown: cause of the time limit!

Aiming for genetics! common interview!!!

Yes, well done:smile: and I must say 'WOW' for finding them 'quite easy'..you must be one of the very few!!

and also thank god you applied for genetics and not for reproductive science:P
Reply 3178
Original post by Penguin22
Yes, well done:smile: and I must say 'WOW' for finding them 'quite easy'..you must be one of the very few!!

and also thank god you applied for genetics and not for reproductive science:P

Well of course i'm applying for genetics! I'm currently studying genetics at uni :smile:
Furthermore, my final project is all to do with genetics (in bacteria), thank god for my project though! Was a gold mine for the essay questions! I remember reading somewhere that knowing how to do PCR;s and FISH helps (although not required) so I made sure to mention that i've learnt those techniques!

The questions weren't particularly difficult at all... Maths were just general maths questions weren't they, no real knowledge needed.... at least in comparison to my uni's "statistical test for research projects" that was a difficult math test involving calculus and stupid chi squared test and t test etc.... Also i've been doing loads and loads of these types of test for accounting and investment banking (don't particularly want to do those, but i'd still rather finish uni with a job than without!), and those test are much more difficult than this one. So maybe its a combination of practice and good general math abilities that I found it easy?

If anyone still has to take the test, i'd highly reccomend going onto the shl site and doign some of those test to practice
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3179
Hi all,
Just a Q on behalf of my bf, he can't check mail until tomorrow! Does milkround give any indicator of pass/ fail? He completed both tests and now it just says 'we are correlating your scores'?

Many thanks,
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending