The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinkerz
Don't even get me started.

They do have it in the library but you have to go in and photocopy it. Please rant, it would make me laugh in reminiscince :tongue:

Original post by RollerBall
On an entirely different topic, will I get raged at by infection control if technically I'm not allowed a tie but if I wear a tie clip? I saw these "invisible" ones that connect through two buttons and the tie label. I much prefer wearing a tie than open collar and the complete lack of evidence to support the "infection control" claims are making me rage. At least if I get rid of the "dangling around" argument then I should be pretty safe, right? I looked in our trusts dress code but couldn't find anything concrete.

We got told that if we wore a tie we had to tuck it in halfway down the shirt :dontknow:

Original post by Beska
I love whoever writes our casebooks.

Wait til the one with hunt the beatles songs in it :biggrin:

Original post by fairy spangles
Was in hospital few weeks ago and the dr kept telling me he was putting salty water through the cannula. My cover was blown a few minutes later.

By you or someone else?

Original post by GodspeedGehenna
tl;dr - How do I break out of the student rut? I miss the real world. As much as I love medicine, my friends and being a student, I seriously need other time. I think I might take up some volunteering role again. (But if I come into contact with a medical applicant who insists on talking to me about medicine I will probably just go ahead and chop my balls off)

Pick something that you want to do. Join a society that provides it that is in the community. The end.
Not really a fan of sialic acid or atherosclerosis right now...

Will.. finish.. this.. assignment. :redface:
Report on psycho-social health needs of older people?

I think I'd rather die. :colonhash:
My OSCE was an apocalypse from hell that destroyed my sense of self.
I can't wait for another **** day in the lab tomorrow(!) :hoppy:
Original post by FFCrusader
I ran 16 miles yesterday :biggrin:

Today. Pain.

Why am I putting myself through this? :bawling:

Oh wait, MedicineMan this is your fault :colonhash:

In other news, found £10 on the ground today :h:

It has been added to my fundraising total :colone:

You'll thank me WHEN you cross that finish line. Best. Feeling. Ever.
This thread is full of people despairing tonight! :redface:

Chin up people :smile:

(I can't really talk as I was complaining earlier :tongue: )
I'm getting so bored of pre-clinical medicine! Same old lectures, and then groupwork is getting so repetitive..Dissecting the orbit today, hopefully that might be a good dissection/never learn anything from dissection...
Original post by clarusblue
Medic men are strange.

I don't think I've ever seen an unattractive F1/2, i dont understand it. I think I'm blinded by the responsibility cos when I've seen them out of the hospital I've realised what they're like minus the title doctor!

But it seems like when they're handed the degree certificate they all turn fit.

I'm considering nabbing myself an ugly medic lad now then just waiting for him to blossom in a few years.

I'm really showing my psycho singleness off here

Hahaha this really made me laugh, I am exactly the same!! It's the CTs that all seem ridiculously fit to me though! :redface:
Original post by digitalis
Nice! I like that.

Edit: Just seen possibly the noobiest thread revival ever-6 years. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207130&p=36541334#post36541334

The link doesn't work for me, but this reminded me I got a PM from someone asking me about my A Level chemistry coursework the other day. That was about 6 years ago!
Original post by Medicine Man
You'll thank me WHEN you cross that finish line. Best. Feeling. Ever.

You know what is also a good feeling? Not having to run a million/26.2 miles :colonhash:

:p:
Original post by Renal
Outfirms tend to give better teaching, more involvement and more social.

Why more social? The general consensus I get from everyone else is the opposite.

I'm already set I'm going to try for at least one outfirm, deciding if I'm going to go for two outfirms or not.
Reply 9352
Why more social? The general consensus I get from everyone else is the opposite.

I'm already set I'm going to try for at least one outfirm, deciding if I'm going to go for two outfirms or not.

Don't know how it works for your medical school, but at Southampton if you were on an outfirm (basically anywhere but southampton), you got free onsite accommodation. Because you are away from your usual place of residence people make more effort to be sociable. It's definitely like that for the london medical students at the place where i'm an F1. And the teaching is also better.
Original post by Sarky
Don't know how it works for your medical school, but at Southampton if you were on an outfirm (basically anywhere but southampton), you got free onsite accommodation. Because you are away from your usual place of residence people make more effort to be sociable. It's definitely like that for the london medical students at the place where i'm an F1. And the teaching is also better.

I see, I had a feeling it might be something similar. Wrt teaching I assume its better because its smaller groups therefore more opportunities? However, wouldn't you miss out on the exposure to some of the obscene /certain diseases that would only get referred to certain hospitals (RLH or St.B in my case)?
Reply 9354
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Isn't the Gas exam the hardest?
Yep.

Hardest exams, most expensive training (estimated at an average of £25k over 9 years).
I see, I had a feeling it might be something similar. Wrt teaching I assume its better because its smaller groups therefore more opportunities? However, wouldn't you miss out on the exposure to some of the obscene /certain diseases that would only get referred to certain hospitals (RLH or St.B in my case)?

In my experience nothing really that you'll need for finals etc - perhaps only some 'oh that's cool' moments
Original post by _Andrew_
I'm getting so bored of pre-clinical medicine! Same old lectures, and then groupwork is getting so repetitive..Dissecting the orbit today, hopefully that might be a good dissection/never learn anything from dissection...

Completely agree with you there. I'm getting so tempted to just skip the whole BSc thing and go straight to clinics!
Original post by graemematt
It's stressful I know, but just keep on seeing patients and doing some light reading. I personally think it's too late now to write notes, so don't try furiously scribbling down every piece of information about galactosaemia or whichever bizarre disorder you think you don't know enough about. Review the basics and you'll be laughing :smile:

Im a person who writes notes. Its nearly 3 months till finals thats plenty of notes time.

Original post by Madprof

Basically, I don't have much advice but am thinking of you.

:hugs: again

Thankyou - i dont know what to say or do anymore. How i havent given up right now i dont know. Ive got the near end of term knackeredness feeling.

Way more social, you're living with these guys and also alot of the doctors are living on site (mess parties ftw!). I found it like halls, only way more fun.

In terms of teaching - people just seem to have more time for you, plus they know who you are and you don't become another random medical student scouring the wards hunting for someone to clerk. You certainly feel much more part of the team.

As far as cool rare stuff goes, you'll probably see more of that in teaching hospitals but you'll quickly realise that's not the stuff you need to read up on and know about.
Reply 9359
I passed out in front of a patient today. Absolutely MORTIFIED.

Latest

Trending

Trending